Great Hitches - Nsar
Lud's comment elsewhere inspires me to start a thread on this motoring (ahem) topic.

Mine was in 2004 ( I was a late starter) at the Col de Vergio up in the Corsican Mountains. I emerged from my hiking endeavours onto the mountain road pretty much on the watershed of the island and therefore very remote

Went into the bar and asked when the next bus was. The guy looked up at the clock turned back and said "three weeks' time" my how I laughed. A taxi to the nearest town with a bus service was looking like ££££££££ so hiking it was.

Downed my beer and waited in the rain. 20 mins later beat up Renault van stops and asks me where I'm going I mention a couple of towns down towards the main road and tell him I'm eventually heading for Bastia airport.

"I live right next to the airport and you've given me an excuse to call it a day" - two hours of full-on mad Corsican driving later he drops me outside departures, giving me an extra day and meaning I can get home in time for my wife's birthday.

Result.
Great Hitches - Lud
Oh dear Nsar. You are threatening to get me in full Pub Bore mode with this one...
Great Hitches - Westpig
I used to regularly pick up hitch hikers in my younger days...you don't see so many around now.

I've always tried to avoid swampy's......... and a military uniform was normally a definite yes, as was a bit of (round doughy thing with holes in it that you toast...... rhymes with trumpet)

not politically correct any more, but used to see if i could get them to twitch or pass comment when overtaking and such.......used to negate the boredom of the journey. My thinking was anyone in the military must have seen a bit of action, so a 20 year old in too big and too fast a car for his own good shouldn't be a real problem for them.
Great Hitches - Lud
I used to regularly pick up hitch hikers in my younger
days..

Interesting post westpig. Of course I really enjoyed people who got a move on, although in my youth I probably would have looked a bit Swampyish to you, although of course there were no Crusties in those days, beatnik was the word and the style was more urban...

I have to say though that the two most wimpish hitchhikers I ever met were both servicemen, both airmen actually but ground staff for sure. One begged to be let out of my first car, a LHD Light 15 Citroen, as it reached its flat-out 85 or so on the A1 in Northumberland at night, and the cabin started to fill with oil smoke as it did at that speed; the other was a fellow-hitchhiker in a 3.4 Jaguar on the A420 between Chippenham and Oxford, nice twisty narrow A road perfect for such a car enthusiastically driven on crossplies, as this one was. Mind you he was in the back and I in the front, so the thing swinging its tail out joyously and in highly controlled fashion on the bends probably felt worse to him. All the same, I think he was just chicken and probably didn't understand that it was all done on purpose for fun.
Great Hitches - Altea Ego
I like the hikers that stand by puddles......................
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Great Hitches - andymc {P}
I used to hitch a lot. Great way to travel when you don't have a specific timetable, gives you the chance to meet people and get to know them quite well in a very short space of time. Plus I lived half the country away from my girlfriend and for about four months, used to thumb up to help care for her father at weekends when he was terminally ill - took a bit of pressure off her mother. Couldn't afford the bus/train at the time.
Never got drenched by cars, probably as I had the common sense not to stand near puddles, but if anyone had deliberately done it to me they would have gotten a rock through the rear windscreen (and yes I sometimes had one handy as a last resort for dealing with the occasional psycho. Never had occasion to use it though). Travelling long distances on your own means you learn a thing or two about human behaviour. Fortunately my experiences usually taught me about the great generosity that people are capable of, rather than how unpleasant they can be. Nowadays I'd be more likely to pick up "Swampy" than a bloke in a uniform, but I don't think I've ever left anyone standing if there was room in the car.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Great Hitches - Chicken Vindaloo
I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago where a motorist deliberately drenched a pedestrian. He tracked down the driver and cut his brake pipes. Ok, two wrongs don't make a right, but there really isn't any need to spoil someone's day needlessly is there?
Great Hitches - legacylad
A few spring immediately to mind.
Moons ago I took a girlfriend skiing to Val d'isere for 2 weeks. At the end of week one, she had a bad break (I still suffer guilty thoughts about it) and was incarcerated in Bourg St. Maurice hospital. For the second week, I would ski in the am then hitch down to the hospital. The very first day of hitching (transport there & back was not covered by the insurance) a very kind local guy stopped at La Daille and took me to the front door of the hospital. This was a regular run for him and he then proceeded to pick me up every day...even waiting some days! His car was a Mk 1 Gti and did he know that road! The first few times I was scarred witless, but then relaxed and enjoyed.By coincidence, I also had a Mk 1 Gti (1600cc, AUM 880X) this was a loooong time ago, but never drove it as hard as him. What a car, what a drive!
p.s. I did marry her!
My second memorable lift was when I had just finished '0' levels, went raspberry picking for the summer hols near Inverness with a pal, and spent all our earnings down the pub, as you do when you are 16. No money to travel back to West Yorks, so after spending a day getting to Perth, where we slept in a bus shelter by the banks of the Tay, got a lift (one of us per van) courtesy of British Gas over the Forth Bridge to Edinburgh.
Happy days....
Great Hitches - Lud
Itoo, like westpig, always picled people up if I could once I had cars. I had resolved to do so many times at night in the freezing cold at Scotch Corner or similarly awful desertys in the ghastly small hours.

However the older you get, the more heartless and indifferent you get. Or the more choosy or something. Or you read the papers and think goodness, I'm just a pathetic old thing, perhaps the person will turn out to be a middle-aged person molester, better safe than sorry etc.

I feel guilty when I pass them. But I haven't stopped for one for ages. Still I haven't decided never to stop.

And when I used to, some of them were awfully boring. Indeed the most you could hope for was that they would be alarmed by the driving. 'I was quite surprised by the performance,' one of my better hitchhikers flatteringly said when I had a Citroen Dyane driven pedal to metal at all times.

It's not the same now. People hardly dare to hitch and hardly dare to pick people up. Sad.
Great Hitches - NVH
Inverness?
That was my last ever hitching holiday.
Inverness had a "hitching spot" with a lamp post and not much passing traffic.
For us it was a 4 hour wait.
The lamp post was covered in grafitti which I still recall...

"We waited 1hr 15 minutes"
"We waited 6hours"
"Nous avons attendu 2 jours."
Great Hitches - Micky
1981, pillion on a GSX1100.
Great Hitches - smokie
Probably 1971...hitching a lift to my local cinema (about 5 miles) and was picked up by Jackie "TV" Pallo. A well known wrestler at teh time...
Great Hitches - No FM2R
1977-ish. In Montpelier stood by a roundabout with about 20 other hitchers. Put London on my piece for cardboard out of boredom. A truck driver picked me up and dropped me at the bottom of my drive outside London.

Once got into a guy with a guy driving his mother's [I think] brand new car. I think it was a Talbot or similar. It was pouring with rain, I was soaked to the skin, I was wearing new jeans, and the car and new, light brown cloth seats. When I got out several junctions down the M4 I had left a large blue imprint of my jeans on the seat - it was undoubtedly ruined. I have felt guilty about that to this day - if you;re reading this I am so sorry, and I hope that it wasn't as bad as I remember.

I used to hitch everywhere, at home and abroad. You just don't see many anymore. However, I still pick-up when I see them - picked up one on the A41 about a week ago. I think one of the differences is the combination of available money and cheap worthwhile cars. All the cars I coudl afford when I was younger were rubbish - hitching happened a lot. Walking happened a fair amount as well !
Great Hitches - sierraman
Unbelievable! 1972-ish,got a lift from Montpelier to Victoria station,I then had to get to Bournemouth so you beat me on the closest to home element.Mine was a van full of hippies returning from Morocco.They had some 'local produce'they wanted to get rid of before British customs too.......

I had a few where I was picked then offered board and lodging for the night,a flat in Lyon one time when I was drenched,another in a Swiss farmhouse,fantastic dinner with the farmers wife piling more food on my plate and entreating me to 'mange,mange'.

Used to hitch all over this country years ago when carless,sometimes forced to when some old banger expired miles from home.A good trick was to wave a tacho card at atruck driver,lift guaranteed.Does seem to have virtually disappeared now.
Great Hitches - tyro
1992. Zimbabwe. Middle of nowhere. Needed to catch a flight. Got lift in the back of van. Nice people. Caught flight comfortably.
Great Hitches - No FM2R
Thing is in the 70s Montpelier was fun. Bit dodgy now though.

But then I remember when Albufeira was a fishing village, Algeciras was the last alcohol before Tangier and Marrakesh was foreign and fun. I was offered a bed for the night by an older couple on the outskirts of Paris (wasn't that city an absolute git to try and hitch back out of !) and they drooped me back at a better place the next day.

Goodness knows where the kids go these days to escape western tourists.
Great Hitches - Pugugly {P}
escape western tourists - Lake District.
Great Hitches - Westpig
Great Hitches - barchettaman
The last time I hitched in the UK I borrowed a set of trade plates from the local garage, purely to increase the chances of a swift pickup.
Great Hitches - corblimeyguvnar
Cwmbran to Abergavenny, 1983, was only 15, Reliant Robin (or Robin Reliant if you wish), the scariest trip I've ever had, hairy hippy type drove like a looney, actually took off over the Llanellen Bridge.
Put me off hitching, for about a week!
Cheers
CBG
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Great Hitches - oilrag
I used to regularly give lifts to hitchhikers. Until that is I picked up a guy in the middle of nowhere, who looked decent , but who stank of drink and became slightly *threatening* on wanting me to go slightly out of my way to drop him off.
I thought of stopping and forcing him out of the car if neccessary ( which would have been no problem for me physically)
But I thought of the possibility of him locking himself in and damaging the interior of the car, while I went around to the passenger side to drag him out.
Thought better of it and drove 5 minutes out of my way, last time for a hitchhiker though.........
Once gave a lift to a guy who stank of drink, but more importantly, of stale urine. Seemed to us like he had obviously soiled himself more than once. Drove 5 or 6 miles at high speed with every window open. Was on the point of pulling over and asking him to get out when the town came into view. Let him off there and drove another half an hour to fumigate the car before the stench had completely disappeared. Oh well, you win some you lose some.
During the summer I gave a lift to what turned out to be a couple of French backpackers on their way to the coast. At first I was going to drop them at the junction from the main road where I would have turned for home, but the thought occurred to me that I might take the other half out for dinner in the same town the pair were heading for. As her phone wasn't working, I said I would detour via the house, pick her up and continue on our way. However, when we got there she wasn't home from work yet, so I offered them a drink while we waited. She ended up delayed and a bit late for going out, so rather than take the hitchers back out to the main road at a time when traffic volume was much diminished, I offered them a bed for the night and a (much needed) shower! We ended up having a grand evening's entertainment - threw a bit of food together, cracked open a couple of bottles of (Chilean) wine, talked and played music. Next day I ran them up to where they were headed and said cheerio. A great night was had by all.
--
andymc
Great Hitches - PhilW
"outskirts of Paris (wasn't that city an absolute git to try and hitch back out of !)

Yes! But I do remember arriving in Paris once having hitched from South of France and I had completely run out of money except for a half crown coin (2/6d or 12p now) and hitching home from there to Scarborough. When I arrived in Scarborough I still had the half crown, had a couple of pints (those were the days!!) and rang my Dad to come and collect me from the pub - a 4d bus ride from home!
As an impoverished schoolboy/student used to hich hike everywhere during '60s/ early '70s - most frightening was a lift in a truck from Scotch Corner to Penrith with driver who kept dropping off to sleep - seem to remember Peter Stuyvesant fags I offered him kept him awake. Packet or two of fags to offer seemed to be only reward drivers needed - couldn't count the number of fry-ups obtained for free in exchange for a fag or two and a bit of converstaion ( and a lovely meal at The Bell at Barmby Moor). What would people think these days of a hitcher being offered a free meal by a driver? Never gave it a thought then - but then I never gave a thought to having to spend a night or two sleeping in a haystack next to the road until dawn enabled drivers to see you and stop - especially at Bramham crossroads on the A1 - or Norman Cross. And there was always a queue of hitchers at Apex Corner!
--
Phil
Great Hitches - legacylad
Just remembered the occasion a few years ago when a pal & I were offered a lift when we were not even hitching! A 'boys' walking w/end in the Lakes from Borrowdale over Gable & Kirk Fell in time for a quick lunchtime drink at the Wasdale Head Inn. We left at 7pm very unsteady on our feet to walk down the road to Wasdale YH (about 5 miles) and had barely gone 100yards when a lovely couple in a spanking new Range Rover stopped to offer us a lift in the pouring rain. My pal slumped against the RR and I shlurred my '' thanks but no thanks'' as we needed that 5 mile walk to sober up. Lucky escape for them as I would hate to offer a lift then find out they were in our condition!
Great Hitches - bigE
Back in National Service days, a pal and I got a lift from Warwick to Newbury. Driver was a submariner and he and wife had just returned from a tour in Malta. All the journey consisted of her telling us how they had cleverly smuggled all sorts of stuff back from Malta. When we were about to get out at Newbury, I felt obliged to tell her, truthfully, that we were only National Service and in civvy life my pal was a Customs Officer. I still remember the look on her face.

BigE
Great Hitches - PoloGirl
Do you all still do this?

I would never either pick any one up or hitch a lift...am I too sensible?
Great Hitches - Statistical outlier
I've never hitched in the UK, but in Canada it was still a normal thing to do ten years ago. I don't think I travelled from Banff to Calgary any other way in the 6 months I was there.

Two memorable occasions - one guy who didn't drop below 180 kph all the way - was quite exciting when the traffic got a bit heavier. The other was getting a lift down to Lake Louise in a hearse owned by three surfer types on a tour of the mountains. Apparently the boards went in the back very nicely!

I picked up a couple of commercial drivers in the middle of the summer heatwave, but other than that I rarely pick up nowadays. Bad experience with a young guy who absolutely stank. I had to make my excuses and get rid of him.
Great Hitches - SteVee
I used to hitch a lot when younger, parents didn't give lifts.
I had a very fast ride on a honda 250 - without a crash helmet, or goggles :-(
I thought I'd never get a lift carrying my air rifle (in a gun case), but actually got one without a problem. The vast majority of people were very pleasant. I think I've met weirder people on the bus or train.

I used to give hitch-hikers lifts, sometimes going out of my way - but you don't see them so much now, and I'm not so sure I'd stop. It's not an option on the bike !
Again, the people I've given a lift to have usually been very pleasant.
Great Hitches - Lud
Of course helmets and goggles used to be optional on motor bikes. I had two memorable lifts on bikes, one when hitching, somewhere between Slough and Reading, Vincent Black Prince (I think), last of the big Vincent V-twins, with partly enclosed body fairing... the driver didn't go hugely fast but the sense of power in the thing was amazing. Another with a colleague when I was working as a building labourer in Somerset 1959ish with a lot of fellow concreters who were enthusiastic bikers. This one had a BSA Gold Star 500, vibrated appallingly but went like a bat out of hell, Radstock to Bath, 6 miles, in 4 and a half minutes... Don't believe it if you don't want to, I hardly did myself. That was definitely frightening.
I still give people lifts, and hopefully always will - last person I gave a lift to was a week ago. Previous time was a couple of days before that, previous again was about a month ago. That time it was dark, and the hitcher turned out to be a teenage girl, which I wasn't comfortable with even though she was only going a few miles up the road. As a precaution, I apologetically said I needed to make a call, phoned my wife and stayed on the line with her until I dropped the girl off. That way at least I had a witness of sorts for the time she was in the car, in case she decided to cry wolf.

The thing to be aware of is that most people are basically alright. The chances of picking up a crazed murderer are actually pretty slim. You get to do someone a favour (I'm not in any way religious, but I think that to do something for nothing now and then is good for the soul), have a chat with a new person, occasionally get to really hit it off with them. A lot of the time conversations turn into "life, the universe and everything" and it's interesting to hear another person's world view, hear about their lives and aspirations and occasionally learn something.

However a woman driving on her own is more vulnerable in the sense that someone may wish to try it on when they think they have an opportunity. Even when I was looking for lifts rather than offering them, I used to advise any lone female drivers that picked me up not to give lifts to men on their own. Of course, I waited until they'd taken me as far as I could get before delivering this sincere and serious piece of advice. In your case PG I wouldn't offer a lift to anyone (except maybe a girl on her own, or me) while driving alone. But if your other half is in the car, and the hitcher isn't carrying a bottle in one hand and a sign saying "Anywhere" in the other, why not give it a try?

As for trying to hitch a lift myself, I don't think I would do it by choice in this country nowadays - people are less likely to stop than they were 10 or 15 years ago. However if a girl has a companion to visit somewhere like Canada, New Zealand, Australia etc then it could be a great way to have a backpacking holiday. At the risk of sounding a bit up myself, part of the experience is about simply being where you are, getting some time on your own, not just being underway. You mightn't spend much money but you will get to spend time. It can teach you something about yourself - a sense of acceptance, if nothing else!
--
andymc
Great Hitches - Jonathan {p}
The only people I've ever picked up were a couple trying to get from Glasgow to Holyhead, they were quite pleased when I took the from Penrith to the M56!

Tip to anyone picking up hitchers, don't stop if you see this man www.imdb.com/name/nm0000442/
Great Hitches - David Horn
About 2 months ago - passed someone in the middle of nowhere looking sadly at a pair of flat tyres on his Range Poser where he caught a rock on a country road. His phone didn't work so I gave him a lift to the nearest town.