Boots & Gaiters - Renault Megane - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
Picked my car up from its service last week and was advised that I has some split boots (one a driveshaft and one on the steering rack).

Obviously I should get these sorted first before all of the grease gets out and second before a load of dirty salty water gets in. I guess there are a few options...

1) new from renault dealer
2) recon from somewhere or other
3) replacement boots

Given that the car is a 120,000 mile 1999 Renault Megane, only the terminally stupid would spend money on option 1.

What are the thoughts of those folk out ther who more about these things than I do???

Thanks in advance...
Boots & Gaiters - Renault Megane - bell boy
the rack boots are £10 a pair at my factors and dead easy to fit
the cv boot one is a bit more difficult as the end wont come off i suggest you take the complete shaft off and get local garage to fit you a boot as you wait with their air bellows device (i keep meaning to buy one of these )
Boots & Gaiters - Renault Megane - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
Yes, thats what I thought.

Steering rack - need to detach the tie rod though. Is that correct? Then off with the old and on with the new.

Driveshafts - Damn CV joints get in the way. Get someone else to do it!!

The air bellows thingy. Is that to stretch the boot over the CV joint (quite a stretch!!) or to pull the complete joint off the shaft (assuming its not retained with a circlip)???
Boots & Gaiters - Renault Megane - bell boy
rack boot make sure you connect the air pipe up you will see it when you get there
air bellows yes to stretch the boot
Boots & Gaiters - Renault Megane - glowplug
Have a look here -

www.bailcast.com/srfit.htm

www.bailcast.com/cvfit.htm

www.bailcast.com/duragun.htm

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...