Locking wheel nut key - Avant
Just a thought which might just save some of you from learning a lesson the hard way as I did this afternoon.

I was checking tyre pressures on the Mercedes B-class at a filling station, having not done it for ages, and even at 13,900 miles the first service is apparently still 5000 miles away. One of the valves sheared and the tyre went flat. Nowhere in the wheel-changing kit was there a spanner or key to unlock the locking wheel nut, and I had to call Mercedes Assistance out.

I had fondly imagined that on a new car this would have been with the rest of the wheel-changing kit, but no. The Mercedes man had a good look and we couldn't see it anywhere.

So maybe those of who suffer from alloy wheels (one of the most stupid and unnecessary embellishments a car can have) should all have a look and make sure the key (a) exists) and (b) is somewhere we can find it. I suppose I was lucky that it was Sunday after church and not on the way to a business appointment, or miles from anywhere.

Fortunately SWMBO's Mini One and daughter's 1.3 Yaris have steel wheels - yippee.

One good thing - Humphries fitted a new valve free - not worth the hassle to do the paperwork.
Locking wheel nut key - bell boy
a valve sheared?
what does the handbook say for the locking wheel nut removal tool?
Locking wheel nut key - Bill Payer
Presumeably the metal Mercedes dust caps has siezed? Amazing you've still got them - mine got nicked very soon after I got the car.

Did you find the special wheel bolts for the spare OK? My car (C Class estate) has spaces where they ought to have been but they turned out to fastened to the underside of the spare - if I hadn't asked, then there's every possibility I'd have assumed they where missing and called out Mobilo!
Oldman - the handbook was where I first looked - no mention at all. Stupidly it gives guidance for chrome and steel wheels but nothing specific for alloy wheels, which are unfortunately standard on SE-trim B-classes.

BP - luckily the space-saver fits on the wheel with the same bolts as the full-size tyre. But yet another crass stupidity about this car is that there is no need for a space-saver as it isn't saving space. The full-size wheeel and tyre fitted in the space below the boot floor perfectly.

My car has tiny dust caps - not worth pinching! The valve itself was fine until I put the airline in.
Locking wheel nut key - cheddar
BP - luckily the space-saver fits on the wheel with the
same bolts as the full-size tyre.

Are you sure, I have heard of serious damage being done to MBs by the use of longer alloy wheel bolts being used with a steel space saver.
Locking wheel nut key - jc2
The dealer didn't show you where it was when you bought it;contact the dealer principal!!
Locking wheel nut key - Bill Payer
The valve itself was fine until I put the airline in.

If it's possible to describe it - in what did the valve 'shear'? Sounds most unusual, and not the sort of thing you'd want to happen while driving along!
Locking wheel nut key - L'escargot
............ alloy wheels (one of
the most stupid and unnecessary embellishments a car can have) .............

Give me alloys any day, and none of the problems associated with dimensionally inaccurate steel wheels.
--
L\'escargot.
Locking wheel nut key - madf
When buying a car I have on my checklist "key for wheelnuts".

Solves a lot of problems..

madf
Locking wheel nut key - mike hannon
Do people really wait till the first service is due before the tyre pressures get checked?
Personally I'll choose alloys rather than black-painted former baked bean tin metal hidden behind bits of tied-on plastic any day, and put up with what it takes to keep them looking tidy.
"Do people really wait till the first service is due before the tyre pressures get checked?"

I hope not: it hasn't happened before when I've checked tyre pressures. This thread was meant as a good-natured hint to others to check that their car had a wheel nut key, and is nothing to do with how often people check their tyre pressures. So there's no need to criticise.

I'm prepared to believe that it was the filling station's faulty airline which had to be pressed in hard before it would work. As I haven't had a puncture I didn't realise that there was no key: obviously, I've ordered one and when I get it will invite the salesman to find the original if it really is hidden somewhere. I can keep the new one as a spare if so. But it should be with the jack and tools, which are well hidden away anyway.

BP - the valve broke off from its 'seat' - probably due to the pressure from the airline. Humphries
Locking wheel nut key - Hamsafar
I agree with Cheddar, I had also heard of the normal bolts being too long with the 'wheelbarrow' wheel and hitting something inside the hub and wrecking it (or some such) didn't pay much attention as you don't if it's not about your car.
"BP - the valve broke off from its 'seat' - probably due to the pressure from the airline.

Humphries"

Sorry - this posted itself before I'd finished - then I got diverted. I meant to add that Humphries (nearest tyre people) said that they get quite a lot of broken valves caused by airlines. I don't think the filling stations bother to maintain them. I must say that the valve itself looked a fragile little thing given the rather crucial job it has to do.
Locking wheel nut key - Xileno {P}
I thought you were swearing.
It does make a good swear-word, doesn't it! - perhaps when you get a puncture, or used (Humphrys) by politicians after an interview on Today.
Locking wheel nut key - Armitage Shanks {p}
I thought garages had to maintain airlines. Don't weights and measures, or whatever they are now called, check these things? Same as they do the pumps on the forecourt?