Parking tickets. - Rita
Have just read a letter in my local paper regarding parking tickets.

The writer is of the opinion that because it states on the front of the parking ticket that "it is a criminal offence to remove or interfere with this notice" then to remove or open said ticket would be a criminal offence and therefore one cannot pay the requisite parking fine.

Is he right or wrong in his assumption?

Rita
Re: Parking tickets. - Mark (Brazil, but in UK)
Rita,

I don`t remember exactly, but I thought the sentance was longer than that - something like "if you are not....".

Mark.
Re: Parking tickets. - richard turpin
Are you the lovely Rita meta maid by any chance?
Re: Parking tickets. - andy
I just rip them up!
Re: Parking tickets. - THe Growler
Dammit, Richard, I was going to say that!
Re: Parking tickets. - Rita
Mark - how quick off the mark (to coin a phrase) can one get - have just had time to get off the computer, dry my hair and get back and there you were

The section in quotes is a direct lift from the letter quotes and all. Possibly the context has been altered; from your recollection of the sentence continuing "if you are not ..." would it be reasonable to surmise that this warning is intended for members of the public and not the driver?.

Rita
Re: Parking tickets. - Mark (Brazil, but in UK)
It used to say something along the lines of how virtually anything is not allowed unless you are the driver/owner.

It certainly was my impression that it was fairly clearly aimed at the public rather than the owner/driver.

However, it wouldn`t be a defence anyway. It doesn't matter whether or not it says it is an offence to do xxxxx, it only matters whether it is actually an offence or not.

And within the law it comments on the reason for removal, for example.

And you were using the internet with wet hair ? What is the world coming to......?
No - gladly, I am not the maid of 'meta' fame. However, I am the only maid that I know of that has legitimately had her parking tickets voided bar one and that, my sons, is the one that proves the my rule which is to fight them every inch of the way.

I could tell you of the time that I got my daughter's two tickets scrubbed but that would surely be boasting and I am but a simple maid of a shy and retiring nature.

Rita
Re: Parking tickets. - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Rita wrote:
>

>
> and I am
> but a simple maid of a shy and retiring nature.
>
> Rita

Oh yes!
Re: Parking tickets. - psychobabble
Rita,
Yor last paragraph sounds like you are a fella, are you?
Re: Parking tickets. - mybrainhurts
Rita

What sort of gun do you carry ?
Gorblimey -

I have been accused of many, many things in my time but never of being a bloke.

Being female has certain advantages, giving birth not being necessarily one them because it acronym hurts.

I have found on three occasions (over a period of years) that tears have persuaded Young William from taking any action such as writing my name on a piece of paper. They were persuaded that their perceptions that a transgression of certain motoring regs. has occurred was not as they had first thought. No money or gifts in kind were exchanged.

Parking tickets were voided in other instances based on my impeccable logic which the issuing authority couldn't challenge. One was voided because his wife suffered the same complaint as I - that of being a lady of a certain age. Gets you right there, doesn't it.

The most recent one was in London some months ago and that was also voided due to the kindness and understanding of the head honcho in the appropriate office. Sometimes it really does pay to make friends and then influence people!!

I had two parking violation tickets voided in America 20 years ago. The stratagems then used are too boring to go into but they worked.

I think something called feminine wiles comes into play in situations like this and I must confess that I have won an awful lot more than I have lost.

Cheers

Rita
Re: Parking tickets. - Dave
I always contest parking tickets and of three attempts to wiggle out I have be successful in two. In each case I was fully banged to rights.
Re: Parking tickets. - James
There is a sort of half-width layby in our town that has yellow lines continuing down the roadway, i.e. about three feet from the kerb. I use this in my defence a while ago, but although the magistrates were sympathetic (is that a first?) their clerk insisted that I had not registered my protest early enough (never mind the delays from the other end!) so I had to pay up.

The local council's wouldn't confirm the legality of the lines, so I assume they aren't. Does anyone have chapter and verse on this?
Re: Parking tickets. - THe Growler
Rita I think this is website material and you owe it to mankind to bequeath your wisdom for the benefit of this and future generations.....
THe Growler -

I couldn't possibly follow would follow your suggestion.

As I have previously stated I am but a simple maid of a shy and retiring nature. The odd thing is that my children have in the past referred to me as Attila (the Hun) and I just can't imagine why.

Demurely yours,

Rita
Re: Parking tickets. - Double Decker
Rita

To get away with it so often, and with such becoming modesty too, you *must* be Marga-Rita Thatcha! It was the Attila the Hun reference that gave you away!

DD
DD -

Nah - just a well read cockney girl!!

Rita