New car, in garage, no repair joy. - WipeOut
Hi,

I bought a new car end of January with a three year warranty. Nearly two weeks ago the car just died and wouldn't start. The car was recovered to the local dealer. The dealer has been very good and has lent us a car. After a number of failed promises to return calls, I contacted the dealer today to and they have no idea what is wrong with the car and the manufacture is equally clueless. There doesn't appear to be an obvious fix available in the near future. The car is a £20k sports car.

I don't want to start a discussion about what could be wrong with the car and possible diagnosis as that is for the garage to sort out; the car is under warranty and it's not for to make suggestions as to a fix.

I've read Honest John's FAQ on rejecting a car, but after 6 months of ownership things become a bit grey. I don't think the car is of a satisfactory quality. But the burden is on me to prove the car wasn't of satisfactory quality at the time of sale.

1) Can I, and at what point can I reject the car?
2) Is it unreasonable to expect a full refund?
3) How do I start the process, and what is the process, and how do I prove the car isn't of satisfactory quality?
4) Is this going to be a difficult process or is straight forward.

Thanks WipeOut.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - bell boy
what? main dealer? as in ford /nissan/renault? cant find why car wont start?
manufacturer equally clueless?
more details please-------
I don't want to say too much about the manufacturer as it's not my intention to speak negatively of the manufacturer and main dealer. I just want advice on what to do.

New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Statistical outlier
Volvo XC70 AWD D5 geartronic IIRC?

Model has known problems with the immobiliser according to the car by car breakdown. Related?
Nice try, but it's my other car.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - PR {P}
Put the onus back on them. Ask them what they intend to do about it. Some friends has a similar problem with a Renault Espace. It was 6 months or so old, and the battery kept going flat and resetting all the electrics. Dealer couldn't find anything so in the end Renault gave them a brand new one and shipped the problematic one back to the factory to strip it down and find the fault.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Statistical outlier
Doh. Oh well, was worth a try. You've mentioned an MX5 at one point...
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bought in January can't be rejected in October SFAIK. I think I recall some court ruling that if you have used it for as little as 2 weeks, you have 'accepted' it. You also have to give the dealer up to 3 goes at fixing it I think. DVD will probably be along soon to give us the facts, as opposed to my rubbish memory and misguided speculation!
Bought in January can't be rejected in October SFAIK. I
think I recall some court ruling that if you have used
it for as little as 2 weeks, you have 'accepted' it.
You also have to give the dealer up to 3
goes at fixing it I think. DVD will probably be
along soon to give us the facts, as opposed to my
rubbish memory and misguided speculation!

If that is the case, that's not good. What if one attempt takes three months?
My input, badly stated, meant that if the car has run without signifigant fault(s), from January to October you won't be able to reject it., 8 months running, followed by a breakdown is a warranty job not a rejection job, IMHO
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Bill Payer
Surely you simply have to give the dealer reasonable opportunity to fix it, and then they have to come up with a solution.

Sometimes faults are more niggly than specific, but a car which doesn't work is not 'fit for purpose'.

I would ask the dealer how they intend to proceed from here. They may offer (with the support of the manufacturer) to swop it for a new one, but they may well ask for a contribution from you for the use you've had out of the car.

Surely you simply have to give the dealer reasonable opportunity to
fix it, and then they have to come up with a
solution.

Thanks for the advice. I've given the dealer two weeks to fix, which seems reasonable, but they by there own confession have no idea. As you say, the car doesn't work, it's not a minor fault and so isn't fit for purpose.

It sounds like I'm going to have to write a letter and ask the dealer what they are going to do?
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Stuartli
>>Surely you simply have to give the dealer reasonable opportunity to fix it, and then they have to come up with a solution.>>

Bill Payer states in his opening sentences of his thread: "I contacted the dealer today to and they have no idea what is wrong with the car and the manufacture is equally clueless. There doesn't appear to be an obvious fix available in the near future."

What do you term "reasonable opportunity to fix it?"

A fortnight has already expired with, on the surface, no apparent successful conclusion to getting the car back on the road.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Should have written: "WipeOut states in his opening sentence"...:-)
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Altea Ego
No you cant reject the car. Its done 8 months with no significant problems so its past the point of rejection.

You need to set them a deadline. You are fortunate in that its a solid fault, where the car wont go at all, so they cant string you along pretending its fixed, or lumbering you with an intermitant, so you have a very powerful tool here, a dead car is very much a dead embarasment to the dealer/importer/maker.

Set them a deadline. Tell them they must supply you with

a: A fully repaired car
or
b: a New car

by xxx date

write to dealer and importer.

(dont accept any pay for wear and tear or use of the old car rubbish, if the car was working you wouldnt be asking for a new one.)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - daveyjp
"the car is under warranty and it's not for to make suggestions as to a fix."

I wouldn't be too hard line on this. Ask them what they have done to date and when. Garages are becoming very good at missing the obvious - if computer says no it must be alright.

A colleague had a very troublesome Multipla - it went, but never seemed to have any real go about it, it also smoked like a coal fired liner. Like you it went to the dealer and stayed there for weeks while they took bits off, put them back on, rang the factory, ordered parts, fitted them etc etc. Despite assurances that 'the computer says it's OK, so it will be now' the car was no better.

He went back to the garage and asked if any of the turbo plumbing could be wrong. They said probably not as the computer said it was OK. He suggested swapping over some pipework serving the turbo which they duly did and the car ran like a dream!
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - local yokel
WipeOut - I'd suggest escalating this with the mfr., who will be paying the warranty costs.

You need to get on the phone to their UK head office and find out who has the authority to kick butts and find you a satisfactory solution.

The fact that it ran for nine months suggests that a full refund is unlikely, but it can not be impossible to repair your car to a high standard.

Until you have the name of the Director of Customer Service or similar, and ring them up (backed by a well-written letter) to ask them to step in, I think you'll be whistling in the dark.

The squeaky hinge gets the oil - you have to be that squeaky hinge!
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - bignick
Find out if the loan car you are in is a genuine loaner or if the manufacturer is supporting the cost as a "hire car" if they are they will be keen to resolve it speedily as they are incurring cost of around £25 per day.

You will need to keep on at the customer services dept of the manufacturer - not the dealer. a DAILY phone call will work wonders.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Falkirk Bairn
Surely Sale of Goods Act applies - SOG is enforceable for up to 6 years - a car that cannot be repaired after 8 mths surely falls into this category.

Give them a letter and a reasonsbale time to fix - day another 14 days and demand 100% of your moneey back.

Thye should reply that they will give you XX% - allowing YY% for 8 mths use - negotiate and take a higher figure than the 1st offer - then buy AN Other car / make
SOG may well apply but I am not sure that wipeout will be pleased with the reduction in value that the manufacturer or dealer might apply for the 8 months use. Could be as much as 20% and he mentions at £20K car so £4000? Ouch!
>>SOG is enforceable for up to 6 years>>

Not in the case of car manufacturers and their dealerships it ain't.

In fact the car trade seems to have a permanent immunity against such legislation - even more maddening as a car is almost certainly the second most expensive purchase you can make.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Micky
">I don't want to start a discussion about what could be wrong with the car and possible diagnosis as that is for the garage to sort out<"

Oh go on, do tell all. There's more expertise on the internet than there is at most dealers. Have they given you an equivalent vehicle? If so, let them get on with it at their own pace. Make a note of the mileage on your vehicle, make sure the dealer knows you have made a note, perhaps a couple of 'photos to demonstrate the pristine bodywork.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - Aprilia
There is more to this than we're being told.

If the car won't start (and it has compression and correct cam timing) then its down to a lack or fuel, sparks, or both. Once you figure out what's missing (easy enough) then methodical diagnosis should soon crack the problem. This is even easier if its a modern OBD-compliant car. CR diesels are much more difficult, but even then proper use a diagnostic tools will yield a result.

A main dealer, with a stock or parts for substitution and the manufacturer-approved scan tools, should have no problem. I have been confronted with many a 'non starter' and have yet to be beaten. It sounds like the dealer is just messing you about.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - nortones2
Maybe they've been short of a demo vehicle/hire car? Or had it nicked. Which seems more likely than a mysterious, insoluble engine failure.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - David Horn
More importantly, has it had an "incident" in the garage and is being repaired elsewhere? Pop down for a look at it.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - rtj70
I was about to post the same. Accidents do happen and would explain a delay.
I doubt it has been in an accident, but I will visit the garage on Saturday to have a look. I would soon spot it the car had been repaired as the a couple of minor scratches and dings on the car would disappear, and I can usually spot a respray as the paint surface feels different.

The car arrived on a transporter at the dealership because it had been recovered from my house as it wouldn't start.

I think it's a complex electrical issue. They're just clueless how to fix the problem. I doubt anything sinister is going on.

Are you guys just trying to wind me up, WipeOut

New car, in garage, no repair joy. - local yokel
WO - have you called the Mfr yet? if the dealership is part of a group then get onto the Group MD as well. They don't like it when Joe Public gets onto them and tells them their outlets are carp.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - nortones2
I had a small problem with a Yaris (leaking drive shaft oil seals) that the supplying garage attempted to repair under warranty, twice. When it continued to leak I asked what they had done to determine the cause. Nothing really: they would just keep replacing the seals when they leaked. Not an acceptable way to deal with this, we thought. I asked, had they for example, been in touch with Toyota technical to see what might be a remedy, whether method or hardware. They said they couldn't and wouldn't tap in to that resource. Next step was for us to immediately get onto Toyota HQ, and request an input to the resolution of this. Got a case number,an agreement as to ways forward including the garage to contact Toyota, as agreed with HQ. Toyota HQ helpful and open. Confirmed in writing to both. Did this because the garage was still diffident.

On relection, there must have been something odd about their competence, or maybe something in the background, because they were quite reluctant even to admit taking an initiative for help from Toyota could be done. Outcome was the mfr tech guy told them to inspect the labyrinth seal and shaft rubbing surfaces, and to replace both drive shafts and not just the seals. Moral is to go to the top, but cover issues and any agreement on next steps in writing. Hope this helps.
New car, in garage, no repair joy. - bell boy
so nortones the main agent technichian didnt have the brains to check what was causing the seals to rip and leak,i bet they wouldnt do that if the cost of all this wasted time came out of their pocket
and wipeouts selling agent can't even think of a solution and alledgedly nor can the manufacturer of the product
not a lot more to be said really is there