2,000 miles in my Passat - Pat L
Well, I've now done just over 2k in the Passat (2.0 TDi 140) and thought I'd offer my views so far.

Plus points
Overall build quality - inside and out
Strong performance - it's loosened up a lot now and pulls really strongly even when fully laden
Nice to drive - good feel and light controls
Loads of space
I've only tried the heated front seats twice (briefly), and I'm looking forward to those cold mornings
The engine warms up much faster than my Audi 1.9TDi
Good stereo

Niggles
That electronic handbrake takes some getting used to and seems a bit temperamental!
Water spills onto your shoes when you open the boot if the lid is wet (it runs down the sides and over the bumper)
Engine can sound a bit gruff when cold and at low speeds
Economy is a bit disappointing at the moment (about 44mpg), I was expecting about 48-50 with my driving style/routes
Difficult to check oil level on dipstick - dipstick is black! (no oil used yet as far as I can tell)

And so far no problems!

Cheers
Pat
2,000 miles in my Passat - type's'
Congratulations on your new toy - keep us up to date with progress.
I do not want to dwell on the -ves but why do they make black dip sticks - the dipsticks.
My passat and saab both had this feature and as you say it does become difficult to read the level.
Surley metal ones are not that much more expensive.

I would also imagine that the economy will improve after about 5-6K miles.
2,000 miles in my Passat - Pugugly {P}
Lovely looking motors.
2,000 miles in my Passat - type's'
I agree - I saw a metallic black one today - it looked great.
A car that looks good whether in estate or saloon version as well.
2,000 miles in my Passat - Sprice
Subjective of course, as I think the previos version looks far better than the current, bloated version!
2,000 miles in my Passat - Imagos
You will have a yellow warning light on dash for low engine oil, so no need to check dipstick

Getting a 170PS DSG diesel Passat early January so interesting to hear views on the 140PS version.
I wasconsidering chipping mine to 170 but now I'm not so sure I need it. I'll certiainly leave it a few months.

Imagos - the 170 DSG version will be awesome. Out of interest what model/colour have you ordered?

Pat
2,000 miles in my Passat - Imagos
It will be the 'Sport' model in Artic Blue Silver'. i currently have the 2.0 petrol 200PS Sport so a 30PS power drop means i'm a little sceptical.

I'm very lucky to be able to pick model/colour etc as it's a company car!
2,000 miles in my Passat - Stuartli
>>as I think the previous version looks far better than the current, bloated version!>>

As you say, subjective...:-)

Very impressive in silver as is the estate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
2,000 miles in my Passat - Altea Ego
You wont have any idea about fuel consumption for another 8k miles at least. Around the 10-12k mark it starts to bed down.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Interestingly, the handbook and the dealer suggest that the running-in period is 1,000 miles. I would have thought it was longer (and TVM's comment would indicate much longer). It certainly seems to have loosened up performance wise and the slightly notchy gearchange is better).

Has anyone had a VAG 140 PS diesel chipped? Comments and advice greatefully received.

Pat
2,000 miles in my Passat - Altea Ego
Running in, and the engine being fully bedded down are not the same thing. Running in is to knock the really rough edges off of things, Performance and MPG will improve continually till they peak at about the 10/12k mark.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
2,000 miles in my Passat - daveyjp
Mpg figure is similar to my A3 2.0TDi and it's now done 26,500. It's not changed much as the miles have clocked up. Re low oil level warning - I'd still check manually, but agree about the black dipstick. It's probably made from recycled plastic which is only available in black! I've found wiping the dipstick completely dry and then checking allows the level to be read.
Dave, I'd have expected more mpg from the smaller, lighter A3 with the same engine.

TVM, good point about running-in/bedding-in.
2,000 miles in my Passat - Statistical outlier
Don't know what you're all complaining about! I got 38 mpg from my last 500 mile tank in my Accord diesel (admittedly with some 300 miles of 'fast' motorway cruising). And that's done 22k+ now, so don't think it can be a bedding in problem. I have to drive like a nun with the aircon off to get to 45 mpg.

G :-)
2,000 miles in my Passat - colinh
Have the same engine in the Golf DSG - started at 43-44mg and by 2000miles had risen to a now fairly consistent 48-49mpg. I find the problem with the dipstick is not the colour but the shape of the business end - a simple straight bar with two notches (as grandfather did it) would have been easier.
"I'd have expected more mpg from the smaller, lighter A3 with the same engine."

It does have DSG which reduces MPG slightly. Most of my mileage is short commuting trips on urban roads and climate control is never off, so I'm not complaining.
I thought that DSG improved the mpg??
Slightly higher with DSG

Manual

DSG

It's well worth 1-2 mpg though!!
Thanks, hj. Looks like it would cost about £500.

Any advice as to when to have it done (if I decide to go ahead)? Should I wait until the engine is bedded in? Or even until the warranty has run out?

2,000 miles in my Passat - DP
In response to the original message, glad you like the car and the niggles aren't too bad.

Even as someone who doesn't normally look twice at VW's, I find the new Passat to be a very handsome and expensive looking bit of kit. Love the front end of it particularly. Aggressive, but not OTT.

A former work colleague of mine has run his 2.0 TDI up to 26,000 miles now and it's been faultless apart from a creaking clutch pedal (sorted quickly by the dealer) and something trivial with the remote locking. He's well pleased overall with the car. Gets 42 mpg average from it, up from about 40 when it was new. He doesn't hang about by the way.

Enjoy the car!

Cheers
DP

2,000 miles in my Passat - Chuckie888
It's a big, BIG car though. Put off VWs when I bought a new Passat TDI130 Highline estate in 04. Fundamentally a good car - fantastic cruiser, but lots of little niggly problems : slipping clutch when cold, cracked front windscreen (stress fracture occurred overnight), failing lock buttons etc.
I considered it very seriously when I was thinking about what to buy. It's a nice car, but the total disinterest from both dealers I went to, plus the long delivery time being offered, put me off. Hence I went for the Honda.
I know what you mean about the dealers, though the one I originally went to were very obliging re test drive. However, the most they would knock off was £500, so I went through drivethedeal.com and saved over £2k. The car came from a different dealer (factory order due to extras) a bit further away and the wait time was not an issue for me.

I considered the Accord but didn't like it as much. My wife was dead against it and wouldn't even consider a test drive! I'm sure it's a great car but I don't like the styling and couldn't live with that huge speedo and boot spoiler.

Like most things in life we make our choices ..........and hope for the best.
I was about the opposite. I like the exterior styling of the estate with the 17" wheels (never have liked the saloon), and loved the interior, mostly because it was so comfy and everything falls easily to hand (although I ended up with the dark wood interior, which is inferior to the sports trim IMHO).

My only gripe is the fuel economy, but then I drive it fairly hard some of the time, and I leave the climate control on. I think it's probably costing me between £200 and £500 a year extra in fuel over what I expected tho, which is a bit of a blow.

As you say, you pays your money.... I'd probably go with an Accord again, so I'm not really complaining.
2,000 miles in my Passat - Avant
"I have to drive like a nun with the aircon off to get to 45 mpg."

Gordon, I'm so glad that's all she took off......Obviously a super-deluxe nun to have been equipped with aircon in the first place.
It's okay, she's not in the 'habit' of removing anything else...