Peugeot 406 Clutch - starcott
406 March 2000 1.8 cc petrol 75,000 miles
The clutch seems to take up the drive with my foot hardly off the floor. Is this normal or is there a possible fault with the self adjusting system? According to the manual, the clutch release mechanism is a 'push type'.
It also says that compensation for wear is taken up by the self-adjusting cable or hydraulic clutch components.
John
Peugeot 406 Clutch - GregSwain
Every car's different - I'd be more worried if the clutch was biting at the very top of pedal travel. As long as it disengages when you push the pedal to the floor, I wouldn't be too bothered. If the clutch wasn't self-adjusting properly, the bite-point would be higher rather than lower.
Peugeot 406 Clutch - cholin
I had this trouble with my 2.1TD (83,000 miles) turned out to be lack of fluid. I was foxed by the pictogram on the reservoir lid which I mis-interpreted as "Do not remove this lid on pain of death" I think it means "Do not leave this lid off". Anyway a top up cured the problem. What still puzzles me is how did the fluid get into the system as there didn't seem to be any "bleed" provision and the diameter of the pipe would indicate instant air lock. Anyway it worked. Hope this helps.
Thank you for that suggestion, Cholin, it certainly looks promising. I"ve just found a section in the manual describing how to bleed the clutch hydraulic system. It states that friction of the clutch pedal begins at a distance of at least 35 mm from the floor. I"ll give it a .
3bleed tomorrow and hope it solves the problem.
The reservoir is well topped up.
Having had a closer look I have found the clutch to be worked by a cable not hydraulics. The manual says it is self adjusting one. Has anyone any further ideas?
Peugeot 406 Clutch - David Horn
Yes. With the engine off depress the clutch pedal, then quickly slide your foot off so it boings up. Do it a couple of times and it might encourage the self-adjusting cable to, uh, self-adjust itself. Works on my car.