how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - hurstc1
i have just got a mk2 golf 1.3(1991)...there is a crack in the manifold...i have been to a garage and they say i need a new manifold...the problem is that as you prop already no the bolts are so rusted that theres no way i can get them off easy...anyone no a easy way of doing this...ive been told its going to be a hard job....
how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - bell boy
You will have to hammer a slightly smaller socket onto each nut in turn.
An oxy/aceteline torch would be handy for warming these up beforehand but i guess you dont have them in your shed?
Just take your time its only an old golf mate,you will do it with patience and blood ;-)

not that difficult for a garage with the proper tackle mind,not a fast fit as they wont want the hassle
how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - Cliff Pope
Wire brush and chisel carefully around each bolt to clear away as much rust bas possible, and soak PBlaster when cold for several days beforehand. File or grind the flats so that the faces are again parallel to the bolt, and either hammer on an old socket or use a Gator socket. If it won't budge with reasonable force, stop and try hitting the bolt axially quite hard to try and break the rust joint. It can work to firstly try tightening rather than loosening. When you get any movement, stop and apply more PBlaster, and work the free movement backwards and forwards.
If you find one that you can't move and are fearful of shearing it, you could I suppose just angle grind the manifold off from around the bolt, and then get the bolt out when you have cut the debris away.
thanks lads...i no its only a golf but its only had one owner and full service history with 67k miles done....apart from the manifold its show room condition....think im going to try and hammer a smeller socket on and go from there....hopefully this will work...again thanks for help....
how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - Big John
How about a good old fashioned nut splitter:-
www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/subprod/nut-splitters-00...x

Don't forget to refit or replace the large heat pipe between exhaust manifold and the air filter.
how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - pmh
And if you are fitting a 'new' old one replace the core plugs at either end of the water gallery. Otherwise you will be putting your practice to good effect again shortly! ( You can replace 1 in situ, but not the ns one).

And replace the rubber O ring of head to inlet manifold as it has probably already disintegrated and either b blocked the waterway or disappeared.

--

pmh (was peter)

so once i have got the bolts of and the manifold....how would i try and get some new bolts on or how would i get the screw things out to replace with new ones?ive been told that a way to get the screws out would be to cut a slit in the end of the screw and try and take it off that way....thanks for all help....chris
how do i get my vw mk2 1.3 manifold off? - Big John
Angle grind or file a flat surface on each side of a stud and then use stilsons to unscrew.