S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - arnold2
I'm going to be buying a Mondeo 1.8 MK3 Zetec in the next couple of weeks, and wondered if anyone had any useful tips on what to look for.... it will probably be a 51-52 plate with about 80k miles on it. HJ lists corroded rear brake pipes where they pass over the fuel tank - how do you check for that on a visual ? Ditto rear suspension bushes ... ?
Anything else anyone know to look for ?
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - cheddar
If you want a petrol one a 2.0 is much more lively and just as economical. It is rear subframe bushes not suspension, you will notice clonking over road humps etc, try driving over a road hump or similar at an angle so the rear wheels dont traverse it together, fix -£80 DIY or £150 dealer. Not heard of the rear brake pipe over fuel tank point before.
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - Waino
Not heard of the rear brake pipe over fuel tank point before.

I had to have a new rear brake pipe when it corroded and caused the car to fail its yr8 MoT - but that was a Mk2 Mondeo estate.
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - kithmo
Not heard of the rear brake pipe over fuel tank point
before.
>>
I had to have a new rear brake pipe when it
corroded and caused the car to fail its yr8 MoT -
but that was a Mk2 Mondeo estate.

>>
Ditto on my mk1 Mondeo at 8 yearsold. Not heard of it on the mk3

Couple of other points, sticking rear calipers and dodgy handbrake if it's not had the recall modification.
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - Marc
Weak washer jets (cheap pumps)
Deformed shroud on rear high level brake lamp (they all do that Sir)
Distorted rear wheel trims (if LX) from handbrake sticking on before recall
Ensure handbrake recall has been carried out
Rubberised coating on interior door pulls wears off and looks unsightly
Rubber door seals perished and split
Rust on door bottoms from defective sealant

All this on a Ford Direct car (01Y 1.8LX) bought at six months old and kept until just short of three years old

They are a nice car to drive but as has already been said go for a 2.0 if most of your driving is on the motorway, the gearing will be better for a more relaxed ride.
Marc - you mention a number of faults here on an 01Y car - do you know if anything has been done to rectify these on later models? I'm particularly interested as I was thinking of replacing my Mk2 Mondeo with a fresher one. Thanks.
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - Marc
No idea I'm afraid as I didn't look at the facelift model come replacement time and I haven't been in a newer one. The most serious problems were the handbrake and the rusty doors - both issues that Ford were well aware of ie handbrake recall and doors resprayed under warranty. I would therefore imagine that subsequent build years did not have these problems. Mine was an early Mk3 - 2001Y.
Thanks. I expect (crystal ball time) mine to pass on to the next life sometime next year - which would mean that I'd be looking for an 04/05 model.

IIRC, handbrakes were always a bit of an issue with Mondeos. I think it was HJ who suggested pressing the footbrake when applying the handbrake - which works a treat.
S/H Mondeo MK3 1.8-what to watch for? - audiaudi
Handbrake

Catylst

Rear bushes

Quickclear problems, patces that fo not clear frost.

Discs front chaging

Electric rise chair problems.

Centre rear belt jams if not regularly used, a mot failure.

Clutch.

But if you by a one driver, well mained car, then the clutch and discs should not be a problem as discs often chaned between 40 to 70k