Rear window shattered - artful dodger {P}
This morning I parked in a public car park alongside another parent's Seat Ibiza whilst I dropped my daughter off at school. When I returned the lady was looking shocked as her rear screen had shattered in the few minutes I had been away from my car. She thought someone had backed into her car and driven off.

Whilst she was on the phone to her husband, another lady said she heard a noise and looked round to see some glass dropping. No other car was involved or close by. Very strange as this is a busy car park only for a short few minutes in the morning and afternoon.

Whilst chatting to the lady on the phone and relaying the second lady's comments, I think we found out how the glass broke. In the car park is a small pot hole with a few stones scattered on the tarmac. One stone was propelled sideways as a car left the car park and hit the rear of another car with quite a bang.

It is probable that the same happened a few minutes earlier and shattered the rear screen. No stone was found in the car or on the ground, so this is our only idea of how it might have happened. I was surprised that the Seat's glass was only about 2.5 to 3mm thick, but it did shatter into mainly small safe chuncks.

Does anyone know of any other way the glass could have broken?

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Rear window shattered - daveyjp
A few smart rear windows shattered due to faulty rear heated window elements. Now is the time of year when rear heated windows start being used again - had this one been on during the trip to school?
>>A few smart rear windows shattered due to faulty rear heated window elements. Now is the time of year when rear heated windows start being used again - had this one been on during the trip to school?

I do not know, but I used mine this morning for the first time. I will ask her tomorrow.

--
Roger
Rear window shattered - Westpig
oik with air rifle?.........not unheard of
>>oik with air rifle?.........not unheard of

Highly unlikely in this car park. To hit the car rear window the he angle required would have put the offender in the open, the primary school playing field. The only trees that could have offered cover would have been over 100 metres away. Also the pellet would have to pass through a 2 metre high chain link fence at an oblique angle, again making this unlikely.

--
Roger
i'm not going to give up you know...........how about a bird dropping a heavy nut or similar
Rear window shattered - Armitage Shanks {p}
There was a time, in the olden days, when heated rear windows were on a 10 minute timer. Press to switch on - if you still need it after 10 minutes press again!
Rear window shattered - daveyjp
Olden days? My Audi still has this feature.
Rear window shattered - rtj70
And the Mondeo has timed heating for windscreen and rear window.
mine still does, although it may be a bit longer than 10 mins
Rear window shattered - Lounge Lizard
>>oik with air rifle?.........not unheard of
Highly unlikely in this car park.

What about the fellow on the grassy knoll who mysteriously disappeared shortly after the incident?
Rear window shattered - AR-CoolC
I'd stick with the heater theory.

What can happen is that the terminal where the wiring fixes to the glass becomes loose, and arcing happens, this causes a hot spot and eventually it pops.

Another theory is the screen was hit by a stone or similar, but not hard enough to break it, but has damaged the surface. Then with the heater being switched on the glass warms and that is the point where the stone damage eventually does break the glass.

Unfortunatly the way toughened glass breaks and fall into the car/on the floor it's hard to see the point where the glass has broken from. If it shatters but stays in one piece you can see a "fan" type of effect from the point where the glass broke.
Unfortunatly the way toughened glass breaks and fall into the car/on the floor it's hard to see the point where the glass has broken from. If it shatters but stays in one piece you can see a "fan" type of effect from the point where the glass broke.

The strange thing was only an area of about about 150x150mm (4x4") dropped, this I assume was where impact took place. The rest remained in place but part was bulging outward as though there might have been some pressure within the car, or movement corresponding to impact damage in another area.

I still believe it may have been a stone expelled from under a tyre. Still very puzzling as I have never seen anything like it before.

--
Roger
Rear window shattered - bell boy
colder today and quite possibly the contractions of the glass causing stress

or as said the birds of south africa going back to the plains to see the wilderbeast and one of them dropped a well wrapped xmas present?
>>What can happen is that the terminal where the wireing fixes to the glass becomes loose, and arcing happens, this causes a hot spot and eventually it pops.

>>Another theory is the screen was hit by a stone or similar, but not hard enough to break it, but has damaged the surface. Then with the heater being switched on the glass warms and that is the piont where the stone damges eventually does break the glass.

I do not know if the heater had been used, but the car had not been restarted, so I doubt if a hot spot would have developed with the ignition switched off. The car had not been driven far, probably only half a mile, and then she was planning to drive to work as usual.

Hopefully a windscreen service should be able to source and fit a new glass today. As it stands the car is not secure or watertight.

--
Roger
Rear window shattered - Hamsafar
It doesn't take much to break one, when I was about nine, a freind through some pea gravel, and one bounced off a lampost and hit a rear cavalier window shattering it, it stayed in place with cubed glass dropping into a hole bit by bit.
Rear window shattered - barchettaman
I still think it was a lone gunman, in the pay of the mafia.
Rear window shattered - Altea Ego
It is very common at this time of the year.

It was a small meteorite that made it throught the earths atmosphere. Unfourtunately it was so hot it melted after impact so the miscreant is no longer visible.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Rear window shattered - Lud
Miraculously, without burning a hole in the back seat of the car or setting it on fire.

Some frozen urine from a passing airliner perhaps?
Rear window shattered - Altea Ego
Miraculously, without burning a hole in the back seat of the
car or setting it on fire.

Now dont try and make me look silly Lud, you know it bounced off the screen, away from the car, on to the ground and left no more that a small pile of ash.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Update

Had a chat with the lady about the rear screen. Yes she did use the heated rear screen that morning for the first time for months. Her husband thought there was a small chip on the glass near the wiper spindle that could have caused it.

The worst thing is it has meant she could not go to work yesterday ot today as the car was not secure to be in a public car park. Hopefully today she will have a new one fitted.

The other very strange thing was when she telephoned her insurance company, they first questioned it was the rear screen, not the windscreen. She thought woman driver syndrome, however it turned out that the previous caller also had a broken rear screen on a Seat Ibiza. So are they prone to this type of damage?

--
Roger
Rear window shattered - PW
Funnily enough- I had to have the windscreen replaced twice on my old Cordoba in 2 years. Did wonder if the body was prone to flex slightly as seemed odd to get two in a short space of time.
Rear window shattered - scotmech
Am now retired, but had a small garage business, and had a rear windscreen shatter when moving a car out of the workshop and could see no reason for it and put it down to stress, we replaced screen and did not tell the customer.
Rear window shattered - bathtub tom
'i'm not going to give up you know...........how about a bird dropping a heavy nut or similar'

Raining Datsun cogs?