Alfa 156 Selespeed Gearloss - Michael
My 1999 156 Selespeed has a recurring problem of totalloss of gears usually when hitting second gear, but can be at "motorway" speeds - which is interesting. As the car requires me to be in neutral to re-start I am often left with no transport. The loss of gears occurs at any time, warm or cold, stationary,pulling away or cruising

I calculate the dealer (under warranty) has received the car around 15 times - 6 of which were tow ins.

I have had a new gearbox, lower ECU, higher ECU, gear box oil pump, numerous diagnostics.

Apart from training the children to operate the hazard warning lights has anybody had and cured a similar problem.

P.S. Am I the only one having major problems with "service" at Reg Vardy's - and can anyone explain to them what a courtesy cars is ??
Re: Alfa 156 Selespeed Gearloss - T.Lucas
Seriously,what did you expect from an Alfa?
Re: Alfa 156 Selespeed Gearloss - Steve G
Franchised Alfa Romeo dealers are normally very poor when it comes to after sales.
The Selespeed seems to develop software faults which can cause problems with selection or NO selection. I've heard about cars which go from 1st to 5th with no in between gears and cars which will not select 1st gear at all.
Some of the faults can be cured by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and letting the systems return to there default settings.
I'm a big Alfa fan but i would never buy a Selespeed just because this technology is still to new for mainstream cars. I regular visit a website www.alfaowner.com which also has a excellent forum section. You will find plenty of discussion concerning the Selespeed on the 147 and 156 causing problems.Many of the forum members have rejected thier Selespeeds and demanded replacement manual versions.
The fact you have kept the car despite it being garaged 15 times indicates you like the car, but this will break anyones enthusiam eventually.If you bought the car from a Alfa Dealer why not try to get a manual version in exchange for your Selespeed.
A lot will depend on how long you've had it / warranties e.t.c.
Good luck

Steve G
Re: Alfa 156 Selespeed Gearloss - Neil Brandon
You are lucky! not only has my new 147 Sillyspeed failed many times. The dealer wont accept that there is a problem.....EVEN though I have an AA report and video.
Lucky also because I have over 20 problems with the car.
The Alfa dealer is useless, and Alfa themselves dont even care that they are selling dangerous cars. I would never buy another Alfa and never let any friends of family buy one either....I have wasted nearly £20,000 on a car that is so dangerous and irritating that I have not been able to drive it, sell it, in fact the dealer wouldnt even take it back........