Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - Militaryprovost
My 05 C-max 2.0 TDI has begun playing up i.e failing to start, starting but engine revs will not advance from a tick-over, cured by switching off and restarting. More worrying recently I was overtaking a bus when the engine died to a tick-over (v. hairy). Dealer has looked at it on several occasions but his diagnostics are unable to find any fault. It can run perfectly for a week or more. This car is dangerous in its present state. Would welcome any pointers as to the reason for this fault and how it may be found/demonstrated for the enlightenment of the dealer. Many thanks
Militaryprovost
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - Old Navy
I suggest you ask your service manager about Ford technical Service Bulletin 7/2006 issued on 17 March 2006.

This TSB refers to a modified EGR valve to cure this type of problem. It applies to build dates 14/02/04 to 01/03/06. If you report "hesitations, poor starting, or poor fuel economy and your car has fault codes P1412, P0490, and P1335 stored in the powertrain control module the EGR should be replaced at Fords expence. This fix transformed my car!

Thanks for that Old Navy however there are no fault codes at all. The EGR valve has supposedly been checked and the mpg is great.
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - Quinny100
Ask them to change the throttle pedal. The potentiometers can fail and cause all sorts of issues like the ones you describe.
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - Aprilia
This throws up a code though doesn't it (P0120)?
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - Quinny100
Sometimes it shows a fault, sometimes it doesn't. I guess if the potentiometer fails giving readings out of range it will log it, if its dropping to zero or whatever the base value is then it may not.
Ask them to change the throttle pedal. The potentiometers can
fail and cause all sorts of issues like the ones you
describe.

Thanks for that. The dealer changed the throttle pedal yesterday(still no faults showing)and I will see how it goes.

Ford Focus C-Max 2.0 TDI - 547HEW
Re "Starting, but engine revs will not advance from a tick-over"

Does this only occur a few minutes after the first start of they day e.g. On restarting after stopping off to buy a newspaper at a local shop? If so, its probably the EGR throttle plate sticking in the closed position. (The EGR throttle is also used to reduce shut down shake, on switching off, by throttling the engine - it should reset to fully open about 5 secs after engine stopping).