2.2dT head gasket - Mikellfr
I have a Renault Espace 1999 2.2dT. Last week the expansion bottle cap blew out and the water was boiling out of the bottle. After several attempts and 'hoping' it was 'air in the system' I have realised that it is a head gasket job, at least.

No Haynes manual out for this model yet, but I do have the French 'Revue Techinque' which cover the series III Espace. After several hours translation it states that the enginee has to be removed, or I should say the car body has to be lifted off of the engine. Now I would like to think that some bright guy out there has found a way to remove the head without all this hassle. Mind you once the engine is on the floor everthing is accessable, such as timing marks, cam belt, turbo, manifolds etc. The real issue with engine removal just for the head gasket is that so many other systems have to be compromised. The radiator, Aircon, Brakes, gearbox, suspension, running gear etc.

If I have to do it this way I will, but I would be grateful for any input the memebers of the forum could make.
Thanks mikellfr
Renault Espace 2.2dT head gasket - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
As a very much Ex-Espace owner I have first hand experience with this dreadful beast. Yes, engine has to come out as there is not enough room to remove head in situ, (Gallic Flair they call it.). You will have to remove the radiators a) to give you room and b) so as not to damage them although you will probably find the cooling system rad is knacked anyway. Take the opportunity with the engine out to renew EVERYTHING ; Cam belt, tensioner and guides, water pump, oil pump and chain, big end , mains bearings and thrust bearings, clutch and hydraulics. While you have the engine out replace the cabin filters once you have removed the wiper mechanism and give the heater matrix a wash through. Also carefully check the condition of the steering rack as the engine has to come out to change it (Gallic flair again) so if in doubt do it now. Dont even think about doing it on your own, on your drive, you need a two post lift. I wasted several hours trying to extricate the engine without removing the rads and suspension before realising that you cant get it past the radiators and removing the suspension makes it easier still. I then had the ignomy of gearbox failure a few weeks later so traded it in. Shame because the package is brilliant, best MPV on the planet let down by bad engineering caused by spotty kids on a CAD machine and too many bean counters compromising the quality of materials. Oh and its French!
All the best!
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Renault Espace 2.2dT head gasket - Mikellfr
Many thanks Andrew. Rads out (all 3 of them), kept suspension on, just removed drive shafts. After releasing all the interconnecting pipwork and wiring, gear linkage, PS pipes and AC pipes etc.., I released the engine onto a crawler board and old matress, then lifted the whole vehicle up clear of the engine and moved it back. Luckily I had a digger so lifting and pushing back was not difficult, just delicate!?! Awaiting the Lagua manual which has same engine. Thanks again - Mike
Renault Espace 2.2dT head gasket - saeed786786
Andrew,

I have seen you driving around in your mobile van the south east area but have misplaced your number, also your website is not working, please could you pass me your number... Thanks Saeed

{Email sent to Andrew, as he hasn't dropped in for a little while - DD}
Renault Espace 2.2dT head gasket - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Hi Saeed
andrew@tuneup.fsnet.co.uk
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!