Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

The other thread has in excess of 100 replies, so I've started a new one so that you can continue with conversation and messages of support.

The previous thread (vol 1) can be found HERE
Heard on the local radio whilst driving home just now that despite the horendous crash, Richard got to his feet and went for a short walk

A quick google found the following:-

"In the wee small hours of Thursday night, just 30 hours after what is almost certainly the world's fastest ever car crash, Richard Hammond suddenly sat up in bed, opened his eyes and asked what had happened."

Clarkson, who told him he had been in a car accident, said that Hammond then got out of bed and walked shakily to the lavatory.

express.lineone.net/news_detail_pa.html?sku=115898...1

No doubt the BBC & ITV news pages will catch up soon.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - cheddar
I am not an expert though I guess it is difficult to be sure about the effects of a severe blow to the head in the early stages hence the somewhat measured responses from the hospital.

However the walk to the loo together with comments along the lines of 'not a mark on him but for a black eye' seem to indicate that his injuries are - thankfully - perhaps less serious than first thought, maybe even not much more than severe concussion.

This is really not something to speculate over however fingers crossed that this is the case.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - PhilW
From today's Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006...l

"James May, Hammond's Top Gear colleague and a Telegraph Motoring columnist, said yesterday he had seen a remarkable improvement in his friend's condition since visiting him on Thursday.
"Although I said he seemed to be doing OK yesterday, his voice wasn't right," he said.
"When I got to his room today, however, he immediately insulted me in his loud, squeaky voice which shows he is making excellent progress.
"His powers of recovery are little short of amazing. I've left him a classic car magazine and I fully expect him to have purchased another heap of old rust when I return to see him in a couple of days."
He added that Hammond, 36, was able to sit up in bed and speak to his mother and father "in a perfectly normal voice".
With assistance, he was then able to have a "wobbly walk around".

Sounds promising (and remarkable!!)

--
Phil
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - oldgit
My eyes are watering somewhat at hearing what is, hopefully, accurate and good news. All this, despite being one who is not all that fond, now, of TG, I'm sorry to say. However, get well soon Richard so you can return ,fit and healthy to your lovely family and friends.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Hamsafar
Well, all good news, and shows you should never trust the papers to tell the truth in the detail.
What's more he is now living proof that speed doesn't indeed kill as we were led to beleive.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - tr7v8
Good article here from JC.

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440317,00.html
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Westpig
what a superb article......... had me chuckling over a subject that is far from funny......... this is why car lovers/petrol heads or whatever we call ourselves like TG and the presenters on it...

down to earth, say it as it is, no nonsense and NO NANNY STATE
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - MikeTorque
What's more he is now living proof that speed doesn't indeed
kill as we were led to beleive.

Ashok - are you bonkers or what ! What killed Donald Campbell ? What killed the kid over the road the other day ?
Answer - SPEED as in a non-stationary projectile containing a person or hitting a person.

I'm glad Richard Hammond is still alive and hopefully he'll make a full recovery and be able to tell us what really happened.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Leif
I am not an expert though I guess it is difficult
to be sure about the effects of a severe blow to
the head in the early stages hence the somewhat measured responses
from the hospital.
However the walk to the loo together with comments along the
lines of 'not a mark on him but for a black
eye' seem to indicate that his injuries are - thankfully -
perhaps less serious than first thought, maybe even not much more
than severe concussion.
This is really not something to speculate over however fingers crossed
that this is the case.

The problem with a brain injury is that swelling and/or internal bleeding may not have external symptoms, but they can cause serious injury and/or death. I would not be surprised were it to take him 6 months or more to get back to normal, though hopefully it will be much quicker and Clakrson and his sidekick will once more have a fall guy to lay into. (And more importantly someone to puncture Clarkson's ego.)
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Micky
Was hamster wearing a Hans device? The crash helmet should not have struck the rollcage under any circumstances, and the rollcage should have withstood anything the rocket car and Elvington could throw at it. However, brain damage can result from high levels of g during rolling even if there is no physical contact. So small stature is good.

I hope he makes it ...... where's the video? ;-)

It's not the initial speed of the crash, it's the decel that matters. A fall off a pushbike at 10mph can kill, instantaneous g = high. Breedlove survived a 600+mph "incident".

Why are the BBC at risk from prosecution? I thought Klaxon owned the production company that made Top Gear, so the risks should be his, not the taxpayers.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Fullchat
It is somewhat ironic that as the 'Crime Scene' thread came to a close this dreadful incident occured at Elvington involving the much respected 'Hamster'.

Just to remind you that one school of thought on that thread was that the Police spend too long on road closures causing chaos for other motorists whilst investigating collision scenes.

Judging by the widespread interest and well wishes for 'the Hamster' I would suggest that as we all have a shared interest in all things related to motor cars, we will all no doubt, be interested in finding out the outcome of the investigations which have been handed over to the HSE. Those investigations will be meticulously investigated and looking at mechanical failure, track conditions etc etc. the one person who may fortunately be able to give some idea as to what went wrong may or may not be able to provide some evidence as to what happened.

As the incident occured on private land then the impact on the road networks was negative. Now just consider that an incident involving a loved one occured on the road network would you not still require the same level of investigation??
--

--
Fullchat
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Altea Ego
Oh for gods sake.

1/ The elvington runway is not a major motorway with 50,000 vehicles a day,
2/ Everyone knows that traveling at 300 mph is dangerous
3/ No-one here is really that interested in the why, just that he is ok
4/ No -one else is involved

Trying to match this with keeping a major road closed for 8 hours is frankly clutching at straws.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Fullchat
TVM I dont have to clutch at anything. I am just making a comparison and a point.
--
Fullchat
>>2/ Everyone knows that traveling at 300 mph is dangerous>>

No, it is an important distinction, it is the hitting something at 300 mph that is dangerous, the speed makes the impact greater and the chance of injury greater though without the impact 300mph is safe.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - GregSwain
It's not the speed, it's the sudden change in speed. F=ma? Newton's 2nd law of motion? (who said A-level physics was useless!)

If you come to a halt from any speed in a very small amount of time, the force exerted on your body might result in fatal injuries. The speed you were doing in the first place is of little significance.
">A-level physics<" ?????

O-level for those of us who received a proper edgeukashun ;-0

">the force exerted on your body might result in fatal injuries<" So many variables; facing backwards is good, head restraint is essential.

Small headaches experiences by the older generation on roller coasters are the result of broken blood vessels in the brain ... eeeekkkkk!
">2/ Everyone knows that travelling at 300 mph is dangerous<" No it isn't. Ask a 747 passenger.

">3/ No-one here is really that interested in the why<" I am.

">4/ No -one else is involved<" Anyone with an interest in speed is involved. If Nanny decides that Hammond's injuries could have been avoided then it's another blow to those who enjoy speed. OK, so I'll never a drive a rocket car, but I've sampled the delights of various offroad venues (including a couple of runways) in/on various vehicles. I don't want Nanny watching me.

And what has the unspecified deity of your choice got to do with it? ....... ;-)

Of course speed is dangerous. The risk of accident increases with speed. Cheddar you are incapable of controling a land based vehicle at 300 mph and it hence becomes dangerous.

This is an undeniable fact.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - GregSwain
As I've already said, travelling at 70mph on the M1 is dangerous if an unforeseeable event causes you to lose control. Bearing in mind RH's jet-car was designed to go a lot faster than 70mph, the outcome was similar to a normal motorway accident. If you were to plonk a jet on the back of a Ford Focus and lose control at 300mph, the outcome might be a bit worse.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Jonathan {p}
He's walking!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5372890.stm

He's walking!

As per my report approx 16 hrs ago.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45208&...e
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Jonathan {p}
Sorry DD I was sleeping at 5am
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - henry k
>> He's walking!

Wed 27 Sep update on progress.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5384400.stm
Wed 27 Sep update on progress.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5384400.stm

"Donations to the air ambulance which flew him to hospital stand at £188,000."

Wrong.

www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond?page=1

"You may wonder why our total has suddenly dropped. Unfortunately, last weekend's £50,000 donation was declined. "
none of us have any idea about travelig at 300 mph on a lnad based vehicle becuase none of us have come anywhere close. The ratio of accident of land based machines traveling at very high speeds even by proffesional drivers suggests its damn risky

Dont get mixed up with this speed is not dangerous, Speed is dangerous., Speed does not kill true, its the accident that does.,

We are talking very high speed here, you cant try and compare this with normal car speeds,

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Dont get mixed up with this speed is not dangerous, Speed is dangerous., Speed does not kill true, its the accident that does.,

If you want to continue with this arguement, take it to the relevant speeding thread. DD. (put in bold this time as it was obviously not seen when I previously mentioned it!)
">If you were to plonk a jet on the back of a Ford Focus <"

The image of an Airbus 380 perched on a 1.4LX is rather alarming ....

I thought hamster's vehicle was rocket powered?
No it's not Micky, it's jet powered. Idiot.

So it's not really that fast after all ;-)
">Cheddar you are incapable of controling a land based vehicle at 300 mph and it hence becomes dangerous.<"

That's an outrageous and actionable slur on Cheddar's driving ability ....... has he really been driving at 300 mph? ...... wow!
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Dalglish
... would you not still require the same level of investigation??

>>

no, no, no. fullchat:
if you read the thread (now locked),

Top Gear Crash Health and Safety Debate - Honestjohn Fri 22 Sep 06 10:35
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=45...7

you will see that people here are generally against the hse and the police getting involved in this matter.

also, if dynamic manages to restore the "save top-gear" thread, you will see that the same general views are expressed there. also, read jeremy clarkson's article - which is linked there (but here it is again) -

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440317,00.html

If it's a place of work then the HSE will be involved. I understand that the HSE have targetted the BBC for years, but surely the risk should be Klaxon's?

Assuming hamster survives and the runway was closed to the general public, what charges could be brought? RTA doesn't apply, no fatality, is there something involving endangerment? Or have I been watching too much US carp TV?

Perhaps Rebus could investigate?
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Dalglish
If it's a place of work then then ......

>>
micky, imo, if you continue that line, this thread is in danger of getting locked too. as hj has said, no discussion of possible breaches of rules, possible charges etc.

">Cheddar you are incapable of controling a land based vehicle at
300 mph and it hence becomes dangerous.<"
That's an outrageous and actionable slur on Cheddar's driving ability .......
has he really been driving at 300 mph? ...... wow!

No, no he is quite right, he has however missed the point, the clear distinction between impact and speed.
The risk of accident increases with
speed. >>

That is a different point. risk management.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - smilingvulture
arton senna---comes to mind
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Leif
"Clarkson, who told him he had been in a car accident, said that Hammond then got out of bed and walked shakily to the lavatory."

Clarkson has that effect on people.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Bromptonaut
SWBO, knowing nothing of Top Gear, has just downloaded part of a Brainiac programme where Richard and assistant demonstrate the reactivity of alkaline metals.

Should hold 9B's attention tomorrow.

Irrespective of the guy's skills in motoring journalism he's pretty smart at bringing science to life.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - George Porge
He's been allowed home. :-)
He's been allowed home. :-)

Err no he has'nt, he's been transfered to another hospital.

This Morning reported this and then changed it :-(
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - bell boy
yes nice to see isnt it,good job we didnt listen to certain members on here giving up on him....
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - henry k
..... he's been transfered to another hospital.

Further update
BBC lunch time news showed him being transferred.
At one part of the transfer he walked a few steps to an ambulance.

A consultant said he will need about 6 months to allow his recovery.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - Round The Bend
Oldman - bit harsh! The correspondent you refer to was only writing what many of us were fearing, given the news coverage at the time.
_______
IanS
Oldman - bit harsh! The correspondent you refer to was
only writing what many of us were fearing, given the news
coverage at the time.
_______
IanS

Its one thing to say it in your home and work place to family, friends, work colleagues, its in very poor taste to post it on a national forum of some repute where his family members and maybe himself whilst he's recouperating can read your pessimistic comments for months to come.
Richard Hammond Thread - Volume 2 - PoloGirl
If it's me you're talking about, and I think it is, then I think you're blowing my comment out of proportion. Sorry but if I was a member of his family, I would be upset at what had happened to him, not about what some faceless people were writing on an internet forum. Some perspective here if you please.

I stand by what I said at the time even though it was deleted - the media were reporting the story like he was not going to make it. They even had films of his achievements in life all packaged and ready to go. If you misread my post as me saying that I personally didn't think he was going to make it, then I'm sorry that you were offended, but I was only commenting on the way it was being covered.

yorkshire air ambulance - the original horse
just seen this
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/539137...m
lets just hope that one day, he doesnt need the services of a 2nd helicopter.

{Moved to the RH thread, as related to the subject - DD}
yorkshire air ambulance - rtj70
I was hoping someone rich like JC gave the £50k.... but no some sad hoax it seems.

One might even change your words slightly and say "lets just hope that one day, he DOES need the services of a 2nd helicopter" which might now take longer and not be there when (s)he needed it. But none of us would wish that on anyone. The person pretending to donate £50k is just sad.
yorkshire air ambulance - bell boy
my words for the person that pledged this amount and who turned out to be a man of straw are unprintable
yorkshire air ambulance - Dynamic Dave
just seen this

Ahem:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45208&...e
Funnyman Freddie Starr last night pledged a huge donation to aid the helicopter service which saved Richard ?Hamster? Hammond.

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440750,00.html (among other news reports)
yorkshire air ambulance - Stuartli
>>pledged a huge donation>>

In actual fact I read that Freddie Starr intended to make such a donation several days ago. Good for him.

In my area we are served by the North West Air Ambulance Service. It has proved a superb asset on many occasions, especially after road accidents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
undisclosed "huge" donation ? mmmm not impressed , seems like a free ad to me based on the old "ate my hamster" routine , you dont need publicity if you really care ,surprised its even fetched up ! and in the sun !
yorkshire air ambulance - barchettaman
Apparently Hammond was trepanned to reduce the swelling in his brain.
yorkshire air ambulance - cheddar
Apparently Hammond was trepanned to reduce the swelling in his brain.

Cristaino DeMatta crashed his Champ Car in to a dear while testing seven weeks ago, he had 40% of his skull removed to allow thew brain to swell and is up and about walking now, a miracle by all accounts.
yorkshire air ambulance - martint123
mmmm not impressed ,

I am - there are a huge number of similarly rich people needing publicity who didn't give any money. Good on him. How much did you give?
yorkshire air ambulance - cheddar
Good on Freddy Star, he has probaly given many times more than average, the "Hamster" connection is clear however he is also a helicopter pilot so has empathy with the job done by the Air Ambulance people.

Likewise I wonder if the withdrawn £50,000 donation was a misunderstanding, perhaps someone meant to give £50 and this was misunderstood.
yorkshire air ambulance - Pugugly {P}
There are some suitably dark cartoons and comments in this week's Private Eye who as usual have a brilliant take on the whole episode.
yorkshire air ambulance - Micky
I've not bought Private Eye for years, Hislop took it into his own little world. I might have to reach into the dark recesses of my wallet to fund a copy of the Hamster Special Edition though.
mmmm not impressed ,
I am - there are a huge number of similarly rich
people needing publicity who didn't give any money. Good on him.
How much did you give?

i dont think you understand my point ,
its handy when your just starting a uk tour and your known to have a connection with the word "hamster"=. publicity straight away.
i gave to this excellent cause at lotherton hall , which was holding a vintage japanese classic motorbikes show , the helicopter was there with its freindly collecting people , this was before all the publicity of the terrible hammond incident .
i will keep the figure i gave as " undisclosed "
dont want the publicity .
yorkshire air ambulance - smokie
Well im45now I understood your point both times and in my opinion whatever the reason for his donation, he deserves praise not cynicism.

Well Done Freddie.
you dont need publicity if you really care ,surprised its even fetched up ! and in the sun !

If you look at my post, I said among other news reports, meaning that it wasn't only The Sun that mentioned it.
"YORKSHIRE Air ambulance has been inundated with support after the Yorkshire Post reported that a £50,000 donat-ion to the Richard Hammond Appeal turned out to be a hoax."

www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?Section...3

Also
"An investigation is under way into four donations which turned out to be hoaxes"
"People are logging on to the website and leaving messages like: 'I can't believe anybody would be so cruel. Here is a little money towards the hoax cash.' "
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - Micky
//www.dragstercrash.com/index.htm

add http: at the front
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - Dynamic Dave
I've just removed a few postings that were discussing where Micky's post had gone.

There was a server crash, and a few posts got temp deleted. Should be all back to normal now though.

Oh, btw, as mentioned in one of the posts, the above link isn't actually of RH's crash.

DD.
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - Pugugly {P}
I was referring to to the harmless version by the way.
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - Micky
I don't understand it. A link to a perfectly harmless video featuring a small, semi-domesticated rodent in a dragster ends up here. How strange .... {wanders off to search for videos of motorcycle-riding gerbils}
According to Yahoo's news pages the BBC are going to run the genuine article in a special documentary called "The Hamster", usually reliable source of information.
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - bell boy
just been reading sniff petrol and the piece about richard hammond sums up everything i wanted to write but was afraid to ask,or some similar title
"The high-speed crash that nearly killed Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is to be shown on television, it has been reported. BBC bosses are said to be planning a special programme about the smash. Hammond - nicknamed Hamster - is set to fully recover from "significant" brain injuries sustained when the jet-powered car flipped and crashed during a stunt for Top Gear.

The Beeb will now wait until the 36-year-old is fully recovered - set to be within six months - before confirming the project.

Friends of Hamster believe he will agree to the show.

A source told The Daily Mirror: "The aim is not to be gruesome but to show all the preparations.

"Then we'll look at what went wrong and perhaps learn lessons."

Hammond's Vampire dragster overturned at nearly 300mph at Elvington airfield, near York, on September 20 and he was airlifted to hospital."

That's the quote in full/
Video of Hamster's dragster crash - Dynamic Dave
I don't understand it. A link to a perfectly harmless video....

Micky, I was in the unfortunate sutuation of not being able to view your video earlier and I took it at face value that you were in fact referring to Hampster Hammond, and not a genuine hampster - hence why I moved it into this thread. DD.
Exchange of words - mare
Sorry if this has been covered before, but there's an interesting exchange between one of the TG back room boys and the Daily Mail columnist.

www.sniffpetrol.com/neillyndoniscross.html

and scroll halfway down. Rude words lurk there, you have been warned. Content more than makes up for it though.

One of the bits added included the name of the car - which they thought was Viper....

(Thanks mare. I've substituted the better link you gave next post and deleted your now unnecessary next post. Good stuff. JC was very annoyed about the public stoning bit and thought, as anyone reading it would have, that Neil Lyndon actially wrote it. JC probably isn't used to being edited like that. Many of the rest of us are. Happens to me every week.HJ)