Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - bigsuzy

Hello

I have finally decided to go for a new Toyota Aygo+. Its a wee bit over my budget but I am hoping it will last me a good 5 /6 years at least. So it will be worth it in the long run - I hope
I've been on the internet trying to research on them and I see that Peugot has made the diesel engine in the aygo, and there are special offers on diesel aygo ( 1.4 aygo+) . about £300 cheaper than petrol

However the boys I work with have told me bad stories about peugot cars , is this right ? does it apply to disel peugot engines ?

Which would be best to buy ,petrol or diesel ??

thanks folks for all your help recently when I have been looking at cars - hopefully now I have made up my mind and there will be no more stupid girlies questions !!
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - type's'
IMO Toyota would not put their badge on anything that they were not convinced was going to be reliable.
Their whole strategy is one based around making money through very high levels of customer satisfaction & high levels of reliability.
That is not to say that Toyota have not had problems previously (vvti petrol engines using lots of oil) but when they do there is very rarley any argument with the customer in fixing things. They also have a habit of extending warranties to 5 years if they think they have built in a design fault.
In a nut shell I would say go for the diesel.
HJ also says it is a better drive than the petrol.
Enjoy it and please let us know how you get on.
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - Craig_1969
Article in The Times. {amended by DD}

c1 petrol vs diesel test.
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - ib33
Hi Bigsuzy,
My father has the Peugeot 107 variant but the petrol (Toyota engine) and is very pleased with it so far (3000 miles) just had first free service and nothing to report.
Very nice to drive, excellent steering and handling, you have to change down and rev engine but has achieved no less than 55mpg so far.
Can you give me more info about the Toyota offer diesel cheeper than petrol?
You do know that the Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Igo are basically the same, Citroen usually discount more so you might get basically the same thing for less or mention this to the Toyota salesperson to see if they can offer a discount if you want Toyota service, etc.
Regards, Ian
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - Sofa Spud
The VW Fox is on the market now - I saw one the other day - neat! It's available with VW's 1.4 TDI 3-cylinder diesel. Suggest look at one before final decision!!!
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - blue_haddock
I personally would go for the diesel version - it will be more economical and a more relaxed drive. The 1.0 is a buzzy 3 cylinder engine and it needs to be worked hard to get the best out of it. I'd imagine the diesel would have better residuals too.
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - jase1
The VW Fox is on the market now - I saw
one the other day - neat! It's available with VW's
1.4 TDI 3-cylinder diesel. Suggest look at one before final decision!!!

The Fox is made in Brazil.

That's where all the US VWs are produced.

Have a look whereabouts on the reliability tables VW are in the US. Clue: not near the top.

Until they've been on sale for a fair few years, and proven themselves, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - Sofa Spud
Re the VW Fox - I was wrong about the 3-cylinder 1.4 TDI version - there isn't one as yet.

>>>Until they've been on sale for a fair few years, and proven themselves, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Wouldn't that go for the Aygo / 107 /C1 as well?
Wouldn't that go for the Aygo / 107 /C1 as well?

Well no, because (1) the parts in the Aygo et al are proven (so are those in the Fox) and (2) the Aygo factory doesn't have a bad reputation in a developed market.

Although in principle I agree with what you are saying, these cars haven't quite proven themselves to be up to Toyota, or PSA, standards yet.
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - tyro
Have a look whereabouts on the reliability tables VW are in
the US. Clue: not near the top.

Consumer Reports, April 2006 has a league table for how 2001 vehicles are doing with regard to reliablity by the time they are 5 years old

Merc at the bottom, Cadillac 2nd from bottom, and VW 3rd from bottom, followed by Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Volvo.

BMW, Audi, and Saab all about mid-table

No prizes for guessing who is at the top.

(No Fiats, Citroens, Peugeots, Alfas, Renaults, Rovers, since they don't sell them over there.

Jaguar and Land Rover not included in survey, presumably because not enough sold to get a decent sample size.)
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - lordwoody
Are you sure you need the diesel anyway? I'm also looking seriously at the Aygo as a cheap to run second car ( test drove it on Saturday) and most reviews praise the petrol version over the diesel ( What Car magazine select the petrol version as best buy) The petrol one is almost as economical, and the diesel is quite a bit slower. The petrol engine is a tried and tested one from ( I think) Daihatsu. If you get one be sure to get 3 years free servicing as that is currently on offer in some regions and is easy to get added ( we mentioned we'd seen it advertised by other dealers and were immediately offered it)
Hi,

The deal I seen on the diesel aygo is with arnold clark. you can see it on their website under new car deals, they are based in scotland and northof england i think
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - Craig_1969
They have an VW Golf tdi Plus for £10k. The Aygo could be used.
The Arnold Clark price is very competitive (er, a bit too good, almost) , and seems to be for a new car. However, I once phoned an Arnold Clark dealership about a very good price they were offering on a new car, and I got the impression I was not going to get the car at that price.

If you want the diesel, and you can get Arnold Clark to sell you it at the price, go for it..

However, I'd suggest you test drive them both and see which one you like.

All things being equal, the petrol gets almost as good mileage as the diesel. It also has a timing chain (rather than a timing belt) which is a good thing. And Drive the Deal are doing the Aygo+ 3 door at £6654.

PERSONALLY, I'd consider the Citroen C1, which is the same car, with the same engine, made in the same factory, and can be had from Drive the Deal for £5837 (the rhythm is actually a few pounds more than the Aygo+)
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - LinuxGeek
I think Aygo would be a better option because in the long run Aygo would hold its value better than C1. Don't you guys think so?
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - Baskerville
I think Aygo would be a better option because in the
long run Aygo would hold its value better than C1. Don't
you guys think so?

Imagine it's the year 2010. You're seventeen with a bedroom full of Max Power back issues. One day your dad offers to buy you a second hand car and gives you the choice of two, a small Toyota and a small Citroen. Which one would you want?

Exactly.
Is that why the current Citroens hold their value better than the Yaris?

The C1 I can't see being especially "chavable", but I don't see that adding to its value. If they do end up being the next car to have a hideous bodykit and lurid purple bodywork, then the chances are the kids will just buy whatever's cheaper out of the three, because the bodykits will be interchangeable.
Hi,

I'venever heard of drive the deal - are they like motorpoint - are the cars imports ? is that why they are so cheap ?
Toyota Aygo- Diesel or Petrol - lordwoody
What Car rate the retained value of the Aygo after 3 years as 52% ( the diesel is 43% ), the Citroen C1 is 40%.
I'venever heard of drive the deal - are they like motorpoint
- are the cars imports ? is that why they are
so cheap ?

The cars are not imports - ordinary UK spec cars from ordinary UK main dealers.

Drive the Deal are brokers and will put you in touch with a dealer that will sell you the car at a good price. If you click on the link to the right "Week's best deals ..." or the bit where it says "read more" - you will find a link to the Drive the Deal website.