water leak after air con is switched off - wazza
Brother in law has a 2002 130hp diesel sports passat. He has the climate control always switched on. According to him if he switches and leaves it off there is a small pool of water under the engine on the passenger side when the car is left standing for a while. He did mention the coolant level goes down a bit as well. He does say this does not happen if he leaves the air con on when driving. is that a common occurance/problem?

I have heard that if the air con is used during summer/hot weather it is normal to see a puddle of water under the car due to condenstation.

any advice/links greatly appreciated
water leak after air con is switched off - Armitage Shanks {p}
If the stuff under the car is pure clean water then it is most likely condensation from the a/c ie normal. Your post is slightly confusing in that you say he always has the air con switched on and that the coolant level does not go down if he leaves the air con on all the time. If it is on all the time then he isn't going to lose any coolant, so far as I can see! If he is losing coolant how much over what distance or period of time?
water leak after air con is switched off - wazza
thanks for the reply. i also have asked him to smell the water/puddle next time to see if there is any antifreeze. if so then he has a leak in his coolant system. did mention to him that it is normal to see water under a standing car if the air con has been working hard on a hot day.

will let you know what he says
water leak after air con is switched off - local yokel
Test out the above by running it with the AC turned off - water leaking still = coolant loss
water leak after air con is switched off - Victorbox
Every car I've had with air-con has left a pool of clear water under car when parked after air-con was used. My last Megane was particulary good at it.