alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - tokyo20
Anyone know the exact rules on wheels/tyres protruding from the cars arches? My wheels are sticking out and the tyre is by a little.
Thanks
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Lud
Must look very sporting. Will cover the sides of yr jalopy with mud. Very much doubt if the regulations forbidding this, if any, will be enforced.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - yorkiebar
But will be picked up at MOT time !
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd a Mini like that many moons ago.
I was told if it was just the side walls OK - but actual tread should not stick out.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - martint123
What bit of the MOT will it fail on. I can't find anything in the manual. There are many things that may be covered by the construction and use regulations that aren't tested.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I can't quote the exact words but the gist of it is the no part of the wheel or tyre may protrude outside the wheel arch. If they get a straight edge and lay it across the arch it must not touch the wheel or the tyre. The answer is different wheels or those chavish wheel arch extensions!
and fouling of bodywork onto wheels, including under steering conditions with suspension fully compressed. Not the exact words again but its the gist of it.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - component part
The 205 gti 1.6l had a significantly wider track at the front than the rear. Wide after market alloys really look like they're protruding at the front.
ok, check for fouling by moving parts, eg fouled by moving parts likely to cause damage or restrict travel.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Fullchat
Dangerous parts and accessories.
--
Fullchat
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Number_Cruncher
I think you are right Martin - it isn't part of the MOT.

I don't know about SVA, or the Construction and Use regs.

Number_Cruncher

alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - tr7v8
I think you are right Martin - it isn't part of
the MOT.
I don't know about SVA, or the Construction and Use regs.
Number_Cruncher

Yup both, SVA is that wheel arch must cover the full width of the tyre for at least 2/3rds its circumference.
Can't remember C & U but it's similar.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Dwight Van Driver
Reg 63 Con and Use 1986

Motor car to be equipped with wings or 0ther similar fitting to catch SO FAR AS PRACTICABLE mud or water thrown up by the rotation of the wheels or tracks

It does not state to fully cover the wheel so it would appear there is some lattitude for an odd inch.

dvd
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - SteVee
Was the OP talking about British regulations (name is tokyo20 after all).
When I was putting different tyres on one car, my insurer told me that insurance would be withdrawn if the tyres extended outside the bodywork. This wasn't a consideration in my case so I didn't pursue a precise definition.
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - Stuartli
See:

www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Grille_Mesh.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
alloy wheel protruding out of arch?? - tokyo20
Went up to the local MOT place and they do insist that there is nothing in the MOT manual saying that the wheel.tread or anything should NOT stick out of the arch. So no worries it seems!