Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - arnold2
I've narrowed my choice to replace my rather unreliable Octavia (broken air-con after 6 months - not covered under warranty - and an exhaust that rattles like a samba) with a used Mondeo Mk3 1.8 - at around 4 years old these are amazingly cheap at about £3.5k.

Question is, why are they so cheap - is there something wrong with them ? They seem like such a good car !
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - GregSwain
Because diesels are more "desirable". I'd save a bit of money and go for the petrol - see my post from earlier today...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=44...7
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - jc2
There are vast numbers of them and they don't have the "image"of other(frequently unreliable and expensive to maintain)makes of cars.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Chad.R
Slightly off-topic....

Is there a huge difference between the Mondeo (Mk3) 1.8 and 2.0?

One of my collegues is contemplating a 2nd hand Mondeo for his daily commute (IIRC ~ 50 m'way miles) - he's worked out that diesel has no real benefit for his annual mileage. He seems hooked on the Mondeo but isn't sure whether the he will realise the "on-paper" fuel savings of the 1.8 over the 2.0. Also he is worried that the 1.8 will run out of puff on the m'way.

He's not that bothered by the spec but I was under the impression that the higher specs (Ghia, Ghia X) didn't come in 1.8 form - so that may swing it for the 2.0 too.

TIA.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - GregSwain
If prices are similar I'd go for the 2.0 - fuel consumption is similar, it's only 1 insurance group higher, but has 142bhp. I doubt either would run out of puff on the motorway, because they'll both go in excess of 120mph.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - local yokel
Sames is true of Primeras of that age - loads to choose from, no image. Both do the job though.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Marc
I'd go for the 2.0. I had the 1.8 and most of my mileage was/is motorway. The 1.8 ran at quite high revs at motorway speeds and was a bit noisy IMO. The economy wasn't that great either but would probably be better than the 2.0 on the urban cycle. I'd imagine the 2.0 will be more refined as a motorway cruiser. I'd recommend he seek out a 2.0 Ghia if he's set on a Mondeo

Although I had the LX I'm pretty sure the 1.8 was also available as a Zetec (not sure about Ghia)
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Chad.R
The 1.8 ran at quite high revs at motorway speeds and was a bit noisy

Thanks, I think this is maybe what he is referring to - the (usually) higher gearing of the lower powered model and the higher in-gear times for say 50-80mph.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Micky
">Is there a huge difference between the Mondeo (Mk3) 1.8 and 2.0?<"

The Mk3 is a big car, the 1.8 struggles, the power-to- weight ratio is poorer than the Mk2 1.8. Get the 2.0.

As a buyer, the field is yours. The last Mondy I bought had sat on a forecourt for 4 months, the locals buy German or 4x4 so the dealer had no chance. The price dropped and there I was at the doorstep. I should have offered even less than I did, but the buying/selling experience is all part of the game.

I just wish it was game I could make some profit from :-( ... or at least reduce my losses.
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Falkirk Bairn
Bulk buyers of Mondeos - Avis, Hertz etc offload them with 10,000 / 6mths old.

This depresses the prices across the board - i.e. 2005 Mondeos can be bought for £8K, this depresses all Mondeos whther they are ex-rental or not. The private buyer would be foolish to buya new one at or near list.

ST220's can be had brand new for £18K or less rather than £23K.
My Local Ford had a 53 Reg ST220 up @ £15K the other week. and it had shifted but at what price?
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - local yokel
I had an ex-hire 2.0 Mondeo on lease for a year in 1995 - it cost the lease co. £7,850....
Mondeo Mk3 Petrol - why so cheap s/h ? - Micky
">Question is, why are they so cheap - is there something wrong with them<"

Because the badge status is important to many people. The Mundano runs rings around equivalent products from many manufacturers, even the awful Germy Klaxon admits to a sneaking admiration for the Ford repmobile.

Whatever Mondeo you buy, it will depreciate ... lots. I buy secondhand Mondys, I had to virtually gave the last one away after I'd finished with it. The depreciation was the biggest cost after fuel. 25 000 miles per annum probably doesn't help and higher mileage Mondeos can require some expenditure on suspension etc. It's the usual Ford catch-22, the cars not worth much, therefore expensive repairs can cost more than the value of the vehicle.