Ford Stereo connection size change - Jagnutter
I have just purchased a 51 plate Mondeo which was sold without a stereo. I managed to purchase a used 6000CD Double Din unit dated 2003 with code. The unit fitted, accepted the power feed plug and speaker connection plug but when I came to plug in the steering stalk control, found it was too large for the socket on the back of the stereo. The unit works fine but I would like to get the steering controller working.
Ford tell me that there is an adapter available to connect up an alternative brand stereo, i.e. Sony, which will utilise the steering stalk control, but no adapter is available to convert the plug down in size to use what I can only assume is an earlier type Ford stereo? Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions really appreciated!!
Ford Stereo connection size change - piston power
why not try a good i.c.e shop who could make a lead up for you might cost you £20.00 but would it be worth it? yellow pages is what i use ring a few shops up!! good luck.
Ford Stereo connection size change - Adam {P}
Woah woah woah. Back it up here.

Firstly, before I begin, I should point out that I don't own a Mondeo and therefore could be hideously incorrect. However, I've tinkered around with the stereos and now I can begin dispensing my "advice".

As far as I am aware, the stereos are all the same. That is to say, your 6000CD stereo is the same as mine. The remote control is the same as mine (in looks anyway) and everything's nice and interchangeable. Therefore, if I wanted to, I could plug my 6000CD that came with my car (which is a 1999 Focus) into a 55plate Mondeo with a 6006 CD and vice versa. The only way in which there'd be a problem is if you had a car with the remote and lower spec stereo such as the 5000 which won't accept a remote connection.

Assuming you're absolutely positive you're trying to plug it into the right slot (and not the changer one - no offence intended but there are a lot of wires back there!) then Ford must have changed the stereo design after 2003 - or rather the remote control. It's news to me but I'm out of my depth as I don't own a Mondeo pre or post 2003. Cheddar might know but someone on here definitely will. Don't go buying anything until you get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

For what it's worth, you can buy a non Ford stereo and have the remote working using an adapter. I've not looked into it properly but assuming you wanted to go down this route, you'd need a fascia adapter to block off the hole in the dash.

Best of luck,

Adam
Ford Stereo connection size change - cheddar
Ford changed the connectors in 2003, the new 6000 must have the newer connectors, while there are adpators for both types of Ford wiring to 3rd party ICE I am not sure if there is an adaptor that connects the different generations of Ford wiring, it might be a matter of working out the wiring by the colour coding. I will post again if I find any more info.
Ford Stereo connection size change - Adam {P}
>>Ford changed the connectors in 2003<<

I did not know that - you learn something new every day.
Ford Stereo connection size change - Quinny100
Ford went to the new industry standard QuadLok connectors with the 2003 facelift in the Mondeo, but the stereos are completely different and are not interchangeable. The new 6000CD is grey and has a central volume control knob, the alternative is the Sony 6CD or the Sony single disc MP3. These won't fit in an earlier Mondeo without significant butchering of the dash, so this is not the issue here.

I think there are different versions of the old 6000CD - one had a push button volume control and the later ones had a knob. The former either doesn't take a remote control, or takes a different one what is fitted to your Mondeo. I think you've picked an older version of the 6000CD than you need.
Actually I have looked into this further, they changed the column remote connector to be in line with the C-Max (and subsequently the new Focus) in Sept 2004, all indications are that prior to that the remote connectors were the same on all MkIII Mondeos from 2000 through the 2003 facelift up to Sept 2004 however it is possible that minor changes were implemented at the time of the facelift. However the OP must have a pre facelift 6000 unit otherwise it would not physically fit his 2001 car, I wonder if the 6000 he has is from a Focus or other Ford.

The answer is to work out the colour coding on the wiring if no adaptor can be found.
Ford Stereo connection size change - Jagnutter
Its really good to know that there are some helpful people out there!! Thanks guys!!
Just to clarify, the Mondeo is a 51 plate, built on 08/2001 and is described as a 2002 model year by Ford so I am told. The stereo I bought is a 6000 CD RDS E-O-N with a manufacture date of June 2003. If it helps, its serial number is M157044 and part number is 97AP-18C815-HA.
As I said, apart from the remote stalk control, the unit works fine in the car. Either Ford changed the size of the stalk connector or the size and configuration of the socket on the stereo.
The plug for the remote is approx. 33mm in length, has three wires going into it, Yellow/Brown, Cream/Black, Cream/Green. The following information is on it:
T&B 2775050-001
>PBT GF<
98-AG144B9-ZVA

The socket in the stereo is approx. 17mm with 6 single in-line pins.

Interestingly, I have now checked a friends Ford Focus Ghia (99/V) which has a 5000 unit fitted with CD changer. My 6000 CD would go straight in. Even the remote connector would connect.
I have approached a local I.C.E. shop and was told that its not possible to adapt the remote connector in this way !?! They went on to say that they had previously tried to rewire a plug and the remote stalk control made the head unit behave strangely i.e. perform the wrong request.

I have thought about buying another unit removed from the same year and model car which would hopefully fix the problem, but it seems a bit extreme for what surely should not be this hard? I would like to avoid the quoted £400 replacement figure from Ford.
It seems crazy that Ford will supply a module to allow a non-Ford stereo to be fitted and still retain the remote stalk control but no adapter exists to change between Ford stereos......The battle goes on.

BC
Just to clarify, the Mondeo is a 51 plate, built on
08/2001 and is described as a 2002 model year by Ford
so I am told.

That would be a 2002 m/y car however cars built from IIRC 10/2001 were described as 2002.25 m/y and differed slightly.

It seems that your 6000 may have come out of a Focus which perhaps has different connections for the remote, it must be possible to work out the wiring because the basic head unit will be the same, perhaps talk to an auto electrician. Otherwise if you obtained two adaptors, one Focus to 3rd part ICE and one Mondeo to 3rd party ICE even though you could not use these adaptors you should be able to work out the wiring from the respective wire-to-pin positions with the generic connectors.