How much is this car worth? - MichaelR
I have been offered a 2000X BMW 530i Sport in Topaz Blue but am wondering how much I should pay for it, as an accurate valuation is a bit difficult!

The car itself is a September 2000 facelift E39 530i Sport in Topaz Blue, and is completely standard including Alcantara/Cloth interior and a manual gearbox. It is in what appears to be absolutely pristine exterior condition with the exception of stone chips at the front, and the interior looks ok. There is a genuine reason for sale (so genuine infact that I picked up on the fact it might be for sale, and contacted the owner), although I don't know the owner personally or anything like that. The car has full service history, 12 months MOT and has recently had an Inspection 1 service.

However..

The car has 3 negative factors which I am sure will adversely affect its value.

a) The car has covered exactly 140,000 miles
b) The car was involved in a minor rear end accident 2 months ago, although this was fully repaired by a BMW main dealer.
c) The car is showing as having 6 previous owners, although the seller states that one of these is accounted for by the fact he changed the registered keeper to his girlfriend, so in reality, there are 5 previous owners.

How much do you guys think I should pay for this car? Glass's August edition suggests £5k trade but this value includes leather seats, sunroof and communications pack, none of which this car has. It says to deduct £1500 for lack of comms back but that would give a value of £3500 which is frankly ridiculous and would quite rightly insult the seller if I was to suggest it!

What do you reckon, guys? It looks absolutely brilliant but I must ensure I do this with my head..
How much is this car worth? - Altea Ego
6 years old, crashed, 6 owners, poverty spec, doom blue, stone chips,

Now why exactly do you want this car again?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
oh and the engine is on its last legs..
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Doom Blue? It's Topaz Blue, arguably the best colour they did for the E39 throughout its production life.

As for the accident damage, it was a low speed impact fully repaired by a main dealer?

Engine on its last legs? Do M54 Straight Sixes only last 140k?
And as for poverty spec, I dare say it has more kit than your Touran - dual zone climate, cruise, DSC, etc etc etc but this thread is about its value, not its specification :)
Err the touran has dual zone climate and cruise

Anyway this thread is about its price, and specification makes price.

You wanted to know why it had such a low value.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much is this car worth? - bell boy

unfortunately as much as tvm doesnt seem to like me (im off now for 8 days in darkest dorset) i have to agree with him (like i do with anybody whom talks sense) the car has all faults and has kissed something it dont like intimately..........wat yu want man a star?
OM you are one of my Fav posters.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You wanted to know why it had such a low value.

No, I would like to know what its value is. It does not have a value of £3500, as I said, that is my inability to deciphre my copy of Glass's Guide.

The standard specification of the 530i Sport is fine for me and isn't up for debate and whilst I am sure it affects its value, I am not personally concerned about properly repaired by main dealer minor accident damage.

I wish to buy a high mileage E39 to take advantage of the significantly lower price.

How much is this car worth, please? :)
How much is this car worth? - bell boy
- MichaelR you look at the car and think...................how much CAN I sell this for you dont think whats it worth
BMW 5 Series 530i Sport
3.0 Petrol 4-door Saloon
5 Speed Manual Rear Wheel Drive
Year: 2000 X
Mileage: 140,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£5140

Average condition:
£4560

Below average condition:
£3960

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So no ideas on private sale value then? :(
How much is this car worth? - rtj70
With the high mileage, accident and 6 registered keepers then maybe £3500 is around the right price point then. Possibly less? TVM has posted a range of values.

And whilst the girlfriend was one of the keepers:

1. Why did he do that
2. If you sell it on, she's still one of the keepers isn't she so factor that in
3. If there are 6 previous keepers, he's the seventh and you will be the eighth.

And finally why so many keepers in a relatively short time??? I suspect there are problems? Maybe look elsewhere?

If you've been offered it though, ask how much they want for the starting point? If not why not?
£3500 for a (high mileage, owners and properly repaired damage aside, it's not even a Cat D and I'd never have known had he not volunteered the information) 6 year old 530i Sport?

Whilst I would LOVE this to be true, look on Autotrader, £3500 doesn't even get a mint 520i SE! £3500 is scabby 97/98/99 car range with 150k+ miles...

He is after £6750, which I personally feel is too high for this particular car. I'd like an idea of its actual value in a private sale before I go in with a more sensible offer.
£5k max, and a piggy bank for the forthcoming bills
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much is this car worth? - barchettaman
£6750???????????

I´m sure he would like that much.
But being a sensible, well informed chap Michael you´re going to wait, and find one that hasn´t been crashed or had a zillion owners. It´s out there somewhere!

Regards,
Barchettaman
Maybe an AA/RAC report would help you decide? From looking on Autotrader it's not worth what he is asking.
How much is this car worth? - DavidHM
Mike,

1. You like high mileage cars, or at least you're less put off by them than average;
2. You like manual 5 Series (so do I, and possibly PU and Patently do as well, but I think between us we're pretty much it);
3. You can live with cloth in a high-spec BMW (see 2.);
4. I agree that it's not doom blue;
5. This car is probably worth more to you than anyone else on the planet.

With all that in mind, try to knock the guy down by a grand (psychologically, I doubt he'll give any more) and accept that, given his starting price (seems silly to me but I've never owned a car with more than 92 bhp) I reckon that's all that you can hope for unless he needs the money NOW more than he needs a good price.

If the accident damage is properly repaired and you'll keep the car for a while , get it.
I see the accident damage as appealing - it was a minor accident and the BMW dealer replaced and resprayed the rear bumper. So, instead of a 6 year old rear bumper with 6 year paint, its nice and new. But I appreciate this HAS harmed its residual value and that the car needs to be cheap enough for me to be unconcerned with the fact I'll probably be its last owner and it'll be worth very little when I've finished with it - even if I keep it 2 years and put 20k on it, its now a 160k mile car, and it just isnt going to sell. It is this which puts me off his asking price - £6750 is too much for a car which I'm realistically going to assume 100% depreciation on..

Maybe I'm getting impatient, I dont know, but these manual Sports are such a nuisance to find - the more desireable automatics are everywhere (And, worrying, not exactly a world more expensive than this one in places..)

My only true concern on this particular car is the amount of owners it's had. I'm looking at the service history and going from this almost all the dealer stamps appear to be in the same area (Co-incidently, round the corner from where I live, some co-incidence given the current owner is some miles away). Some people have mentioned to me that when a private plate is transferred to or from a vehicle, it is logged as a 'new' owner. Is this actually the case, or does 6 previous owners pretty much mean that 6 seperate people have owned this car?

Ideally I should wait for Joe Dowd to source me one, but in two months of searching, there has been just two manual E39 Sports and last Fridays was apparently a real dog.
How much is this car worth? - Thommo
A big Beemer with cloth and manual. As said likely the only three people in UK who would even consider this car all post on this board.

This car is virtually unsaleable in this spec. To those who would buy it such as your good self the mileage and number of owners is off putting.

Assuming you can wait I would offer £3,000 then come up to £3,500 and just tell him the offer is open until you find another one and you have an auction buyer actively looking.

If I am right and it doesn't sell in say 1 month he may be more amenable. If it does sell then good on him and there's always another car around the corner.
Seems very odd (dodgey?) that after 6 owners all servicing local to you. Maybe move on?
How much is this car worth? - madf
I would put it like this.
You want a cheap BMW.
You like this one but worry about the history. So will any future buyer.

Offer £3250, your telephone number and if refused walk away and don't come back unless phoned.
If accepted immediately or offered £3750, there is something wrong and make excuses and walk away.

You only want this dirt cheap, because it is obvious when YOU sell it it will have to be even cheaper.

So minimise your potential loss and ONLY buy it for a price which allows for loss on resale and repair costs.

Any other course of action will cost £1000s.

But if you do get the car it will be CHEAP.

Basically you want to be the buyer of last resort.. or not at all.
madf
How much is this car worth? - expat
Just tell him that you don't want to insult him by offering a lower price however you will leave your phone number and if he changes his mind about the price to give you a ring. By the sound of things he will then find out what it is really worth and will get back to you with a much more realistic figure in a month or two. You can then show him a print of autotrader figures, Glass's guide etc and negotiate from there. Probably he got unrealistic expectations when a buyer rang up out of the blue before he had even advertised. You made the mistake of letting the seller think you were very keen. Never a good idea.

In the mean time Joe Dowd might well have come up with something better.
How much is this car worth? - cheddar
What is the genuine reason for sale?

All in all it is probably £5k territory, it would be higher if it were one owner and higher if less than 100k miles even with 6 owners, does it have 5 good tyres?, are the wheels scuffed?, when were the brakes last done, both discs and pads?
MichaelR

I am trying to write this without sounding patronising and insulting, a feat I am very poor at.

I can smell your desperation to buy this particualr type of car (E39 manual sport) from here. I fear that your desperation and impatience means you have latched onto THIS car and love has become blind.

Listen to yourself. "I see the accident damage as appealing" Any accident damage however well repaired is not appealing.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much is this car worth? - mare
I see the accident damage as appealing - it was a
minor accident and the BMW dealer replaced and resprayed the rear
bumper. So, instead of a 6 year old rear bumper with
6 year paint, its nice and new.

Sorry, i don't know much about 5 series Beemers, but that statement alone smacks of desperately trying to convince yourself. You've asked for a fair price and been given a range and the price the seller wants is too much.

I'd keep looking if I were you.
How much is this car worth? - v0n
You already know good and cheap things come to those who wait (your current car). You know you don't want to do your entry to prestige sector by half means. Choosing unrealistically priced, half spec (and you know you want the comms pack...), very high mileage beemer with suspitiously high number of owners and forever red marked official history (that accident will always remain in bmw computers) is not the way to go about it. It's not going to be bargain, because it won't have the appeal and resale value of the "real thing". You'll always look at other models, fully specced and regret rushing into it. To me that car couldn't sound more alarm bells even if there was a body in the trunk...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
How much is this car worth? - Micky
Asking prices and selling prices are two very different things. Value is whatever you want it to be. Does the current owner have to sell? If so, smile pleasantly, offer £3000, leave a 'phone number and walk. If he has to sell and you're the only punter then he'll call you.
How much is this car worth? - cheddar
I suspect that £3000 might be taking the micky, Micky!
How much is this car worth? - Micky
">I suspect that £3000 might be taking the micky, Micky!<"

No harm in trying! Can always move upwards and it price conditions the seller. If the deal is struck at £4k I think the punter will be a happy man. but it could be £4ks worth of trouble. Do cars really have any value over 100k miles? Value, price and cost are all different things. At a 140k miles, the price could be low but the cost could be high, the punter could be paying several £ks for the privilege of paying more £ks in repairs.
How much is this car worth? - Xileno {P}
BMW's are not my sort of car but I would never even consider one without leather. Also the high number of owners would concern me.
How much is this car worth? - Pugugly {P}
Also the high number of owners would concern me.

Probably far more Renaults on the road :-)
How much is this car worth? - Xileno {P}
Probably not on the road, on the hard shoulder. :-0
How much is this car worth? - Dalglish
Also the high number of owners would concern me. , Probably far more Renaults on the road :-)

>>

michael's bmw has six owners.
are you saying there are seven or more renault's on the road out there.

There was, but I wrote one off.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I think I'll stick with my agonising patience and wait for the right car then guys...

I hope a nice one comes up through auction - the book prices are appealing and Joe's service so far has been so excellent I really want him to get me a car so I can pay him! I am particularly tempted by the fact even an average mileage 2000 528i Sport books at only about 6k, with higher mileage 530's around the same, leaving plenty of change in reserve for those auction issues and a few choice modifications...