Mondeo air con - Craigh
2001 1.8 LX.

Is it normal for the air con to drip constantly when on? I havent noticed it before but today I filled up with petrol and noticed quite a large puddle under the car, just rear of the bulkhead. Anyway....I called out the breakdown people and they looked at it and said it was "normal". After feeling a bit stupid, I carried on but checked again later.......still doing it. If the air con is switched off the leaking stops.

Does the air con have fluid to run it, or is it just excess condensation??

Sorry to sound so stupid but I havent has the luxury of it before!

Your comments appreciated.

Craigh
Mondeo air con - Spospe
Such water is quite normal and is just the condensation from the heat-exchanger.
Mondeo air con - rtj70
Did exactly the same once after a long run the car... quite a large pool of water underneath. RAC took a look, tasted it even and determined it was only water off the air-con condenser. When you first notice it though it's a bit alarming.
Mondeo air con - Craigh
Thanks guys, cos at the moment I'm down in Worcester and have to get back to sunny Blackpoool !

The peace of mind means a lot.

Regards
Mondeo air con - Micky
Wait until it's regassed, a small pond will appear beneath when stationary! Astonishingly enough, this can cause problems for those classic car types who later park over the small pond (usually at a fuel stop) and then prostrate themselves in the forecourt searching for that elusive leak ...
Mondeo air con - Aprilia
Depends on relative humidity. If its a 'muggy' day, like today in my part of the world, then you get more condensation. A/C condensate should be clear and odourless. If its coloured then start to worry - because its engine coolant!
Mondeo air con - Waino
I was concerned a couple of weeks ago when I spotted a large puddle developing under SWMBO's Focus - and I thought the aircon was off. I hadn't realised that certain combinations of fan speed/direction settings caused the aircon to come on automatically.
Mondeo air con - Craigh
In reply to "Waino", I find it confusing how the airflow direction knob automatically turns on the air con when in the windscreen position. Also the recirculation button does not work until the direction knob is in certain positions!

But........the air con DOES clear the screen when normal airflow doesent!

Craigh