Metallic vs non-metallic - rory
Morning all. Am curious about this. For eg Jaguar offer 2 Black finishes, one metallic, one not. And there'e probaby about £450 - £500 in it for a new car. Essentially what will be the difference in terms of longevity , the 'polished' finish one could achieve and resistance to/ease of repair of stone chips ?
Metallic vs non-metallic - Altea Ego
The "flat" colour car will probably fade dull (being black, if white it goes chalky and if red goes a thin lipstick pink).

But

The main thing is, when it comes to resale the metalic car will sell, the flat coated car will not. Its such a problem that lease companies sometimes give away free metalic paint when you lease a car, to keep the reslae value up when they come to cash in on the asset. Even the metroploitan police now have metalic grey cars as the resale value is higher.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Metallic vs non-metallic - cheddar
The main thing is, when it comes to resale the metalic
car will sell, the flat coated car will not.

That is very true except IME when it comes to black, some people love it and will buy a flat black car, others (like me) will avoid any black like the plague. I had a black car once, never again, hard to keep clean, shows the tiniest ding because it is so reflective and is hotter in the summer.
Metallic vs non-metallic - rory
Illuminating and interesting .Thanks all.
Metallic vs non-metallic - DP
I had a black car once, never again, hard to keep clean,
shows the tiniest ding because it is so reflective and is
hotter in the summer.

I agree with all that, but for those 5-10 minutes after polishing, just before that layer of permanent light brown dust settles and takes the edge off the sheen, they look the absolute dogs danglies.

Cheers
DP
Metallic vs non-metallic - bell boy
the lacquer also seems to resist bird droppings a little better until you get to wash it off ................
:> a lacquered car might be better if the man with the clipboard is going to charge you for paint at the time of return?