Replacement Car & Existing Issues Help - poskiller
Hi everyone,

New to this forum so please forgive if I've posted in the wrong area

Just started up my existing car (1995 318is) and its sounds like a tractor!!. When iddling the engine shudders quite a bit, something it never did. I've never had a problem like this before and I've just moved it off the park and there a patch that smells like petrol. Its booked in for a service but the earliest the garage I use can look it is friday and I'm worried that I'm causing damage if I drive it. One of my mates thinks it needs new spark plugs but I'm not sure if thats all.

Also, I'm looking at two replacements:

2003 03 FORD FOCUS 1.8 TDCi Ghia Full Leather Interior 5 Door Hatchback
2003 03 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 SE TDI 100 5 Door Hatchback

Both are priced at £5995 and appear to be in really good nick but the have quite high mileage around 90,000 on each. I've never had a deisel before so I'm unsure if they are decent buys.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Andrew
Replacement Car & Existing Issues Help - yorkiebar
if you suspect it is fuel leaking DO NOT USE THE CAR. Petrol is pressure fed and a leak is highly likely to spray the fuel everywhere over a hot engine. I dont need to speell out the possible consequences ?

Advise the garage it is suspected fuel leak and ask them for advice on whether they will collect it or tow it etc?

as for advice about other cars I never make comments good or bad about peoples choices; others are happy too so I leave it to them.
Replacement Car & Existing Issues Help - local yokel
Do you need a diesel - ie do you cover 20,000 miles/year?

I'd get the BMW fixed first - if it's been reliable in the past then hang onto it. It's worth very little at that age, and should be relatively (compared to £6k) cheap to fix. If it a write off then obviously examine your needs, your budget, and then come back with the info so we can give some sensible feedback.
Replacement Car & Existing Issues Help - cheddar
The Focus will be more refined, quicker (assuming it is the 115ps not the 100 which a fully loaded Ghia should be) and more fun to drive, the Golf will feel gutsy at low revs though run out of puff, the MkIV (which I assume this is) is a bit stodgy, if it is a MkV then it is better to drive than the MkIV and good value at the price.

My dad bought a 2002 02 FORD FOCUS 2.0 Ghia Full Leather Interior 5 Door Estate on 55k miles recently for that sort of money.
Hi

Thanks to all of the replies and advice. I've parked it up at the office for the time being until I get back from a business trip. As luck would have it my company has supplied me with a focus 2.00 ghia tdci for the trip so I'll get an idea of how a new car works.

I think I'll get the BMW fixed this week then see how it performs, as Local_yokel pointed out its cheaper than spending 6K. In the past its been very reliable and I do like driving it. Perhaps I don't need a deisel as my commute to work is a 50mile round trip

Thanks
Andrew
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested,

Thanks for the advice,

Turned out that the beamer needed a new exhaust, had a fuel leaked (fixed now at no expense by the garage - Holmeward Service Bay, Hallifax, probabley the best garage, no second that, is the best garage I've ever dealt with), and was burning oil. All this was potentially bad news for my pocket.

Good News, as luck would have it I qualified for a car allowance with my company so went out and bought a 1.8TDCI Focus Zetec Climate, 06 Plate reg March 06 for £10,400. Very happy with it

Cheers
Andrew