Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - smokie
From Auctionview, at Brighouse this week:

VAUXHALL VECTRA 3.2 V6 ELITE (Intro 2002) Hatchback, BLACK, 5 Doors, Automatic, Petrol, 22279 Miles, Margin. Registered 06-02-2004

CAP say New: £21940, Ret: £9095, Cln: £7475, Avg: £6950, Blw: £6325
Glass's say New: £22465, Ret: £10200, Trd: £8450

Anyone any idea which price is closest? Or what I'm likely to have to pay? (I've bought at auction before so understand buyer's premium etc). V5 is present.

I didn't really want the auto but it's a fine looking car in the pic. Just it's also 224 miles away...

Will it be much slower (or more to the point) less fun than a manual? Fuel bills are not a consideration (at least my company does one thing right!)

Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - MichaelR
Consider whether you want to buy one of these given that, comparatively at least, they are not really very good. The Mondeo ST220 is a better car in every way and you'll easily get a 2003 model at auction for this budget.

Plus, and I appreciate this is entirely subjective and may not bother you, the fact the GSi is virtually indistinguishable from the base models is inexcusable for what is (or was, until Vauxhall realised it didnt cut it and developed the VXR) the high performance flagship of the range. You really need to look hard to see if the Vectra that just went past was a GSi or an SXi, yet with the ST220, it's blatantly not an LX.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Adam {P}
I think the Vectra has more toys Mike - besides which, not everyone wants an ST220 which lets be honest, is quite in your face!

I've just noticed he said Elite - whereas I read the entire post thinking he said GSi.

I'll get my coat, after pointing out how great the 3.0 Mondeo Titanium X is with its air conditioned seats.
I haven't ruled out the Mondeo, there is one coming up this week at Birmingham

FORD MONDEO 3.0 V6 ST220 24V Hatchback, SILVER, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 37021 Miles, Margin. Registered 14-07-2003

CAP: New: £21540, Ret: £10695, Cln: £8450, Avg: £7825, Blw: £7200
Glass's: New: £21565, Ret: £9775, Trd: £8425

which is older, higher mileage and more expensive than the Veccy. Hwever within that kind of price band, price isn't critically important, nor is resale. I want a car which I can enjoy, like the Omega MV6 I currently have...and keep thinking I should just run into the ground... Key are reliability and lowish cost maintenance.
Personally, I'd say you'll enjoy the ST more - it's more of a sports saloon, whereas the Vectra Elite is a motorway cruiser..
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - prm72
Smokie, i run a Vectra c 03 reg, and although its a nice cruiser its nowhere as nice as the omega, not as solid or sure footed on the road. I personally think the omega is a stonking car although a bit outdated now.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Bill Payer
Fuel bills are not a consideration (at
least my company does one thing right!)

Have you worked out how big tax bill will be :-)
Not much different to the 3.0 Omega I have :-)
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Number_Cruncher
I'll try to provide some information, rather than simply represent this forum's branch of the Mondeo enthusiasts club!

This spread between CAP and Glass's isn't unusual, and I would take the Glass's trade price as a hint to an absolute upper bound on what I might bid at auction, while the CAP average trade price might be a bit optimistic, and represent the lower end of the range.

I hope that's helpful.

Number_Cruncher
That's useful thanks.

Now, what's my appointment diary like for Thursday... :-)
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Vin {P}
"Now, what's my appointment diary like for Thursday..."

Don't know where you live Smokie, but why not give Joe Dowd (posts passim) a call? He'll charge you £250 (but his buyers premium is less than yours, significantly offsetting that) and he'll have a trader covering Brighouse who won't mind going and not bidding if there's anything wrong with it, whereas you'll be wasting a trip and time if there's anything wrong or if it goes for too much. Couple of trips like that and he looks very cheap. He can also arrange delivery through BCA.

I'm not affiliated to him (though I'm beginning to feel I should be charging, the amount of advertising I do for him!)

V

There's a thought Vin... I might just do that. Living in Berkshire, Brighouse is a fair old trip...even on company fuel!

Regarding a post further up, I fret that if I change the Omega (for anything) I might miss it!! It is a wonderful car, and it seems crazy to be getting rid of it at only 134k miles (just run in...). It sounds a bit rattly at idle, there are a few small areas of rust starting to appear and a bit of trim has come off, but it still goes like the clappers and I like the styling. Only downside is that it has started getting through a small amount of oil, which could turn out expensive.

My company policy states I am supposed to run a car < 5 years old but no-one seems to bother checking. (It's also supposed to be < 2.5l!)

I've also been browsing some online sales sites and am wondering if the Signum might be more Omega-like, but I think I still prefer the Vectra. The Mondy has appeal but definitely appears more expensive for the same year/mileage etc.
Crazy idea - what about another Omega? Going dirt cheap now.
Buy mine off me. It's only done 130K miles, is as lovely as ever and is about to go on ebay. It doesn't use a drop of oil, either.

Alternatively, and more realistically, get one of the last of the Omegas. Three years old, still coming up at auction and truly dirt cheap.

Third option, buy a cheap "cherished" number plate for £80 and no-one will ever know how old your car is. Plenty of people at a company I used to work for did that and they got away witt it.

V
Final thought. I just went through exactly the same process as you (changing car-allowance vehicle) and I've neded up with a three-year-old Jag S-Type. For the money you're looking at, you could move up the old car grades a little if you buy one with a mile or two under the wheels.

There, that's made the decision easier, hasn't it?

V
The thing is, there is no real need whatsoever to change the car. I am not vain enough to care that I'm driving round in an R Reg. I'm still in love with the Omega. I don't see the point in getting a slightly newer one, may as well keep the one I have. I have no real desire for any other car! (Also I have a daughter just going to uni so could do with not spending the money.)

But I just fancy a change...and the Vectra has caught my attention.

Just spoken with Joe Dowd - nice bloke - and sent him the details and found out how it all works. Certainly his fee is quite well offset by his reduced buyers premium, and delivery was cheaper than I thought it would be (mind you when I bought the Omega at Preston they charged me for delivery to Workington not Wokingham - I inadvertently overlooked correcting them!!)

btw off the top of his head he reckons it will probably go nearer the Glass's Trade (£8450) then the CAP Clean £7475). He said it's an odd market at the moment - clean cars are fetching quite strong prices. I've pitched my top price about half way in between.
Just spoken with Joe Dowd - nice bloke - and sent
him the details and found out how it all works. Certainly
his fee is quite well offset by his reduced buyers premium,
and delivery was cheaper than I thought it would be (mind
you when I bought the Omega at Preston they charged me
for delivery to Workington not Wokingham - I inadvertently overlooked correcting
them!!)
btw off the top of his head he reckons it will
probably go nearer the Glass's Trade (£8450) then the CAP Clean
£7475). He said it's an odd market at the moment -
clean cars are fetching quite strong prices. I've pitched my top
price about half way in between.

I am also dealing with Joe at the moment and although he has yet to buy a car for me - last one he bid on for me went for £400 over my top bid - from the correspondance I've had with him he is a thoroughly decent bloke - I really, really hope he gets a car for me before I find a suitable vehicle in Autotrader as I'd love to put my business his way after the work he's done so far. He doesnt strike me as profit driven, either - he's already rejected one car becuase it had had paintwork done all down one side. I'd never have spotted that, and it was otherwise a suitable car - some of the more unscrupulous members of the motor trade would have glossed over that, so to speak!

I'll let you know if my opinion changes, although I doubt it will, but he gets a resounding thumbs up from me.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Dynamic Dave
Will it be much slower (or more to the point) less fun than a manual?

I imagine it'll have the same autobox as my 2.2 Vectra. In which case, no to both your questions. Mine is just as fast as the manual box, and if it is the same gearbox, then it will have the tiptronic box; so you have the best of both worlds. You can drive it just like a manual if you want to, or simply leave it in D. The only difference is that instead of having a gate shift as you go up and down the box, you just flick the gearstick up or down to go through the gears, and the LED display on the dash will keep you informed as to what gear you're in at the time.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Xileno {P}
Two Vectra driving Moderators...

Better not say anything nasty about Vectra now... ;-)
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - rcspeirs
I bought a Vectra 3.2 Elite auto two years ago. Second hand and so very cheap, I hasten to add. Prior to that I had a V6 Mondeo auto, which I was impressed with until the transmission disintegrated. My reason for choosing this Vectra was the engine, which is a beauty.

It?s a better car than I expected. The Vectra is amazingly quiet and smooth on a long trip, really impressed with that. As others have said, if you want sharp handling on a switchback B road, it?s not as good as the Mondeo - though it does have stability control if you want to push your luck.

On the up side
? Quiet - amazingly quiet - even at illegal speed.
? Elite version has lots of spec.
? Did I mention that engine?

On the down side.
? I hate the indicators with a passion (I know they aren?t unique to the Vectra these days). I know others get on fine with them. They still annoy me immensely.
? The fake wood is so obviously fake.
? Unlike dynamic dave, I?m not hugely impressed with the auto box. It is usually as smooth as silk, but it is just far too reluctant to change down for my taste. Yes, the thing has bags of torque, so perhaps it doesn?t need to shift, but if I?m doing an overtake I want a downshift. If you give it a sharp jab to provoke kickdown, that often results in a double downshift, which can be more violent than you might expect. The tiptronic feature is slow - it can take a long time for the transmission to actually react to your command. My criticism is about changes when you are already moving - but if you are doing the traffic light grand prix, the box works fine and will hold the revs in every gear.

Watch for the suspension recall to fix the front end graunching noise (see HJ feature) - which was done on mine with no fuss. My only cost above standard service has been brake discs at 30,000 miles - which was less mileage than I?d expected. Oh, and front tyres of course?.

Would I buy another. For the right price - yes, definitely.
The tiptronic feature is slow - it can take a long time for the transmission to actually react to your command.

I believe a software update overcomes this *problem*.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - CJay{P}
According to someone who buys from auctions quite regularly (an auction buyer) the supply of quality second hand cars during the last few weeks have been rather low. As such prices are up, by around 5-8% on what they fetched in June 06. I suppose we will have to wait till about the 3rd week of Sept. for the supply to increase.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - cheddar
The Mondeo is chain cam where as the Vectra is belt, I remember the bill for a belt job on my old 2.5 V6 Vectra. I agree with Adam re the ST220 being a bit in your face, looks great in silver or grey though OTT in Subaru blue. The Zetec S is now obsolete though the later manual ones came with the 3.0 V6 (2.5 is auto) and are cracking looking cars, subtely sporty, and well equipped, otherwise the Ghia X is still the best equipped Mondeo, Michael R mentions the Titanium X though IIRC the Ghia X is the only one to have aircon seats as standard.
The Titanium X sits above the Ghia X in the Mondeo range.
I know it does Mike but I think C's right re the seats.

With regards to the ST, if I do end up getting one, it has to be in the blue or the black (with the red leather). OTT yes. Smokie's cup of tea? No.

Do I like them? YES!
I wouldn't say no to one, but I prefer the more understated power. Wolf in sheeps clothing.

That, and ST220s are about £1k + more than the equivalent ST220. And the Vectra is quicker...
The Titanium X sits above the Ghia X in the Mondeo
range.

No it doesnt.

It might do in a simple list of models however they are both the same list price because the Titanium X has more body kit and the Ghia X more goodies like power seats, you only get power seats on the Ghia X and ST220, optional only on the ST TDCi. You are right, the TIt X has the climate seats along with the Ghia X however the Ghia, Ghia X and the ST's have a better standard audio set up. The Ghia X is still the top-of-the-range for kit. Shame a sunroof is not still standard as it was when I got mine, means it is difficult to find a used one with a sunroof.
No, really, it does.

Check the Ford website if you won't take my word for it - and the Titanium X does not have a bodykit, either. It lost that in early 2005 when it stopped being a special edition and became part of the usual range. Prior to this it did indeed have a variation on the ST220 bodykit, but this has not been the case since 54 registered vehicles.

They are both VERY similar, the only real difference appears to be that the Titanium X has sportier wheels, privacy glass, Bluetooth and Leather/Alcantara cooled seats, whereas the Ghia X has wood trim and a wooden steering wheel.

As for the radio - it's debatable which is the better unit out of the Ghia's 6006 6 CD changer and the Titaniums MP3 Player.
No it really doesnt.

As I say if you look down the list of models the Titanium X come after Ghia X but then so does the Titanium which is priced the same as the Ghia where as the Titanium X is priced as per the Ghia X. It is simply a matter of positioning models together in the list with the different model groups targeting differing customer wants.

As you say the Titanium X has 18" wheels (as did the cheaper Zetec S) to the Ghia X's 17", only the Titaniums have privacy glass as std, it is optional on all other including the STs. The Ghia X has full leather rather than leather/alcantara though both have aircon cooled seats, the Ghia X has wood trim and a half wooden steering wheel, Ford clearly rate the Ghia/Ghia X 6 CD changer as higher in the range because it is also standard on the STs and is an optional extra on the Titanium / Titanium X.

However only the Ghia X and ST220 have power seats, you can only them as an option on the ST TDCi.

If you spec them as close as possible by adding 18" alloys, Bluetooth and the Tech pack (which gives privacy glass plus s/r, and Xenons) to the Ghia X , and add s/r, Xenons and 6CD to the Titanium X, the Titanium X comes out a slightly more expensive though still does not have the leather or the power seats.

Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - stonefish
List price new is probably a good indicator. I believe list price is the same for both for the standard car. So they are equivalent.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Chris M
Smokie - a suggestion.

Post a question regarding the differences between the Mondeo Ghia X and Titanium X and you'll get some useful information on the Vectra.

Chris M
Smokie - a suggestion.
Post a question regarding the differences between the Mondeo Ghia X
and Titanium X and you'll get some useful information on the
Vectra.
Chris M

Fair comment! Though both Michael and myself had commented on the Vectra and Smokie had expressed an interest in a Mondeo.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - nutty_nissan
Agree with all the comments earlier about Mondeo being a better drive in the twisties. However, the engine in he Vectra is phenomenal and the car is ultra refined (within it's class), even at autobahn speeds. The copper who got clocked in a Vectra at 159 was in the 3.2 model! Just too quiet! We got a 2003 3.2 Elite Auto when it was a year old. It still smells and looks new!
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Xileno {P}
I fail to understand why people get so excited about the Mondeo having such good handling. Where in this ridiculously crowded country are you going to exploit such handling on such a regular basis to make it a factor in choosing it? And if you can find a place, there will probably be a speed camera around the next bend to wipe the smile off your face.

The Vectra IMO is a more comfortable car and would be my choice.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Number_Cruncher
>>The Vectra IMO is a more comfortable car and would be my choice.

I tend to agree.

Once you add in the "Clarkson Factor", which after many years of constant griding down, makes many people view all Vauxhalls as a poor option; their relatively low demand in the marketplace and therefore lower price makes them more appealing. Generally good German engineering, reasonable performance at a reasonable price. Shhh - don't tell anyone!

Number_Cruncher
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Statistical outlier
I had to drive a number of hire Vectra and Astra cars a few years back, and they were all (IMO) awful. Even the Vectra SRi was geared all wrong and not much fun. They completely deserved the trouncing they got in reviews, compared to the Mondeo or Focus anyway.

The new Astra is nice tho, and I recommended that a friend got one. She likes it, although it is the 1.8 Auto and appears to be ruinously thirsty. Ah well, you can't win them all!
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - TheOilBurner
I suspect you're talking about the Vectra B? (i.e. pre-2002) That's a very different kettle of fish to Vectra C discussed here.

As for the new Astra, my FiL also has the 1.8 Auto, driving style and conditions must count for a lot because he's gets around 30-33mpg typically. Not bad for a 1.8 petrol auto IMHO. Ruinously thirsty? Not quite. Maybe your friend's Astra isn't run in yet?
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - Statistical outlier
Certainly I was talking about the B, I was actually meaning to post in support of Vauxhall, my direct experience of the Astra suggests that they have transformed it. I would far rather have one than the Focus, except for the VXR vs ST models.

As for fuel, the car was less than 1k run in, so you're probably right.
Once you add in the "Clarkson Factor", which after many years
of constant griding down, makes many people view all Vauxhalls as
a poor option; their relatively low demand in the marketplace and
therefore lower price makes them more appealing. >>

I had a couple of Vectras and loved my 2.5 V6 SRi estate however the Mondeo is IMO better engineered and the Ford dealers are oh so much better to deal with.
I would hate to have to deal with Vauxall dealers then!!!
I would hate to have to deal with Vauxall dealers then!!!

Yup, you sure would!
LOL - good point Chris...

Today's update. Been to see a Network Q car - on t'internet at £8495. Late 03 plate, 22k miles, good nick, drove well (but certainly felt smaller than the Omega).

Anyway, they offered to get me a trade in value for the Omega. They did the sums then offered me the Veccie at £8100. When quizzed, they had the start price as £8995, which, sure enough, was the window sticker price. I showed them the internet ad and they went off in a huddle. Apparently they expect people to buy over the internet with no sales effort hence the cheaper price... (should I believe that?)

Anyway, they have offered me the car at £8k incl 6 mths tax, 1 years Network Q cover, full MOT and service, and a full tank of fuel, with no trade in. Seems quite a deal. As my company pay my fuel I will try to swap the fulltank for the other half year's road tax :-)

However, the auction car comes up tomorrow so I'm going to see what happens there. After talking wityh Joe Dowd (did I say what a nice bloke he is?) I'm hoping that maybe £8k will secure a 7 month newer car with the auto ("tiptronic") box. I have to add about £600 to that in costs (delivery, VAT, Joe, buyers premium) and then tax etc - so I' probably looking at an additional £1k over the hammer price to get the car on the road in a similar state to the Network Q one. I'm probably expecting too much there.

Thanks all for the input to date, will keep you posted.
I would rather buy the car from a dealer and have a dealer / Network Q warranty. Also it is lower mileage.
Forgot to mention, I get 37mpg at 65mph with the car on cruise. Not bad for a 150mph car! In stop start traffic, it goes down to 17! First service was 115 quid at dealer.
oh and the tiptronic feature is not brilliant - best left in D.
oh and the tiptronic feature is not brilliant - best left in D.

Never had a problem with it myself. Use both D and the tiptronic box quite frequently.
Joe Dowd called me yesterday - his buyer was at Brighouse and had looked at the car. It had non-std 18" alloys and a cracked skirt so he recommeended avoiding it, and I took his advice. So at the moment I'm left with the Network Q car, which I think I will go for...just a shame it doesn't have the auto box
Smokie, Is it that urgent? My impression is that you're paying dealer margin to get a car now rather than waiting a week or two for the right car to come up at auction. I know this view is heavily biased by my own opinions, but it seems a lot of extra money for something that could wait awhile. Though I do, of course, understand the pressure exterted by money burning holes in one's pockets.

V
Although IME vauxhall dealers are carp I would pay a few hundred quid on a 8 grand car for a Network Q warranty and dealer support.
Vin - don't go all sensible on me! :-) Once I have money burning a hole, I can't usually keep it in control... (Also I currently have permission from SWMBO to soend - that could easily be retracted at any time...LOL)

I'm just going out to look at (and probably buy) an 04 3.2 Elite, 23k, Auto Network Q etc. Just under £8.5k.

Comparing it to the 53 auction one above, which expected to sell at about £7.5k or a bit over, I'm looking at a grand for something a bit newer (OK, only a few months) but also with the opportunity to test drive and also as Cheddar says, the warranty (which usefully includes European breakdown cover)

The price compares v favourably with others. which are mostly dealers (v few private ones around).

Often when they come up at auction (and these are relatively rare) the mileage is somewhat higher, and there is always the risk associated with buying at auction. Plus once I add on the delivery, buyers fee, maybe Joe's costs and road tax I'm looking at the best part of £600 over hammer price.

Thats a lot of car for the money.
Vectra 3.2 - auction price guess & info - TheOilBurner
Check the features on that 04 model very carefully, it may not be as well specced as the 53 plate models and older. Around this time severe spec trimming took place.

For instance, check for electric memory seats, later models lost these.

I assume the spec is important, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at Elite models?

HTH!
I bought it. You're right, for a top spec car it doesn't have too many bells & whistles but it's the performance I was after rather than the gadgets - but I preferred the Elite to the GSi as it looks less in yer face.

It's the first time I'd driven the auto version, it seemed really rather good - so much so that I fear losing it to Mrs S for her daily commute.... Very smooth gear changes, even under heavy acceleration. Given the apparent performance as a fully auto, I'm, not sure I'll use the "manual" mode but we'll see...

Now I have to get the Omega spruced up and sold. I'm thinking a couple of weeks in Autotrader then onto eBay if it doesn't sell. It's still a really nice car despite starting to show it's age - it has a full year's MOT, 6 months tax, good tyres (incl 1 new one for MOT) - I will be quite sad to see it go...
I bought it.

Good man. Now all we have to do is convince Pologirl & HJ to get one and we can take over the world.

In all seriousness though, once you get used to it, you'll start using the tipronic side of the box. There will be times when you want to change down a gear without relying on the kickdown to do it for you.
In all seriousness though, once you get used to it, you'll
start using the tipronic side of the box. There will be
times when you want to change down a gear without relying
on the kickdown to do it for you.

The times I have driven Tiptronic I found it most useful for getting in the right gear in advance rather like a manual, changing down to overtake or when coming up to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, even the best autos are not at there best when it takes them half a second to kick down after you have decided to go. Also it can be fun on the back lanes flicking up and down the box sans clutch.