Best used motorway barge - pb33
Looking to spend <£7k (<£5k, if possible) on a used motorway cruiser. Priorities are economy, comfort, refinement and safety. I'll be doing ~25k miles p.a. on the M4 (only!).

Volvo S80 D5, Volvo S60 D5, Vectra DTi are on my short-list.

What is the best value motorway barge?

Thanks,

Paul
Best used motorway barge - y2k+4
Well looking to the less than £7k, I think I'd be considering a Saab 9-5 and 607 diesel. Of your list, the Vectra will be attainable (easily) within £5k, and you might be able to get a D5 Volvo with high miles or a 607 HDi at this price too.
Best used motorway barge - Adam {P}
I've read something about Volvo diesel injectors giving problems at high miles. I wasn't really paying attention because I don't plan on buying a D5 but you might want to check that out.
Thanks for the reply. Am I right in thinking that Saab 9-5 is a dressed up Vectra?
Best used motorway barge - bobda
>>Am I right in thinking
that Saab 9-5 is a dressed up Vectra?

Some would say that they're not even dressed up.

Definitely Vectras, though.
I guess the Saab carries a premium over the Vectra. Looking to max the refinement : cash ratio.
I guess the Saab carries a premium over the Vectra. Looking for the ideal refinement : cash ratio.
Best used motorway barge - barchettaman
Vauxhall Signum?
The wheelbase is longer then the standard Vectra so it´s reckoned to be a bit more comfy.
I'd ignored the Signum on the basis that it was a Vectra and that its rarity made for a stronger residual. Hadnt appreciated that it was a longer wheel base - thanks for that.
Best used motorway barge - DougB
Hi -
To get the best value you should buy a car that is generally unpopular. Signum comes in to that category as does the 607.
The S80 is good value also. The S60 I found too cramped.
The other possibility for me when I when I finally scrapped my Senator was the Skoda Superb, but these may be still too expensive.
The wife decided on a Saab 95, and bought it herself so that suited me fine!
Have a browse on cargiant .co.uk.

Regards DougB
Thanks for your input. I'm minded towards the S80, on the basis that this is aimed at the BMW5/MercE. The others (Vectra, Saab, Mondeo etc) are in the class below? The used Volvo price is comparable so seems the best value. Also, the seats are very good. But I do hear grumblings about reliability and cost of repair.

The rarity of the Signum or 607 seems to keep used prices higher. The abundance of Vectras/Mondeos is attractive.
Best used motorway barge - Vin {P}
How about one of the last Omegas - about three years old now, well below your price range, at about £4K. Mine was the perfect motorway cruiser, with the advantage ove very cheap repairs.

V
Best used motorway barge - mss1tw
Can't help but recommend the Toledo. Comfortable and pokey with the 2 CC's cruise and climate control, and an armrest.

50mpg on a run.
Best used motorway barge - PW
May well get shot down in flames for this- but how about a Citroen C5? Don't know if you've got kids, but my 5 year old niece finds it a bit claustrophobic in the back of their Vectra due to high glassline. BiL has also said 2.0 DTi is a bit gutless.

Comfort wise, to be honest unless you are spending all day in the car, I very much doubt you would see a considerable difference between a Mondeo/ Vectra and the Volvos. Yes Volvos do have excellent seats, but I had no problems with my old Mondeo, and have none with the Picasso. And looking at how much my Dad pays to service his V70 it is a lot more expensive to run.
Best used motorway barge - Murphy The Cat
Can't help but recommend the Toledo.

isn't it getting harder to get parts for these old Triumphs now ?

MTC
Best used motorway barge - s61sw
isn't it getting harder to get parts for these old Triumphs now?

I think that one went right over a few heads!
Did Triumph / BL let the name go? or get a good price from SEAT?
S6 1SW
Best used motorway barge - Murphy The Cat
isn't it getting harder to get parts for these old Triumphs
now?
I think that one went right over a few heads!
Did Triumph / BL let the name go? or get a
good price from SEAT?
S6 1SW

I think so as well, and I was so pleased with myself for coming up with it.

MTC
Best used motorway barge - Dalglish
I think so as well, and I was so pleased with myself for coming up with it.

>>

it only shows that you are from a different era. anyhow, the spanish confiscated the names toledo and dolomite by citing the precedent of parmesan and champagne. ( only joking ;-) )
Yes, looks great value. But loses out on economy perhaps? There are more efficient diesels?
.>> Yes, looks great value. But loses out on economy
perhaps? There are more efficient diesels?

I'm referring to the Omega
Won't be carrying rear passengers. Just for a commute from Cardiff to London. My priority is arriving as fresh as possible....with cash in my wallet.
Best used motorway barge - Statistical outlier
How about the Passat Estate. Very comfy on motorway, economical, and was chosen by a taxi driver guy on here who was doing some ridiculous mileage in it (600 miles a day 6 days a week for two years or something. Somewhere in the Midlands to Glasgow return every day.).
Best used motorway barge - smallfish
I've driven a few Nissan Primeras as hire cars - couldn't live with the looks myself but the diesel one with six gears was virtually silent and ate up motorway miles like nothing else i've driven.
Best used motorway barge - Statistical outlier
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32282&...e
Thanks! Long thread!
Best used motorway barge - Gromit {P}
Hyundai Sonata or Kia Magentis? Not fashionable, so you should get a newer one than the usual suspects on the same budget.

Two variants of the same model, with the Kia being cheaper to buy and - possibly - with slightly cheaper materials in the cabin. Both should be comfortable for cruising over long distances, and there's a 2-litre diesel AFAIK if the higher purchase price justifies the fuel saving for you.
Best used motorway barge - local yokel
I'd go with Omega, but for a left field choice, Nissan QX. a 2001 on Autotrader with 57k for £4.5
Best used motorway barge - Paul Robinson

Try to keep your fuel costs in perspective. With your budget and short-list you're talking about middle aged motors and you need to consider what sort of repairs may be likely and the costs involved.

I have a Volvo S80 and it's absolute bliss on the motorway, but it certainly doesn't leave 'cash in the wallet'.

The risk of very expensive repairs as time takes its toll on the latest generation of high tec diesel is regularly debated on this forum. With your priorities I'd consider a current shape 1.8 Petrol Mondeo - cheap to buy, light on fuel on the motorway, comfortable, safe, not likely to go wrong and if it does cheap, quick and simple to repair.
Best used motorway barge - Hamsafar
I'd go for a non-poverty-spec late-model Omega.
They're quiet, refined, and have comfortable seats.
Best used motorway barge - Thommo
Skoda Superb.

At 25k pa a 1.9 130 diesel would seem ideal. Loads in the 5k to 7k range. Holds miles well so don't be afraid if the previous owner was Star Fleet.

Can even get a 2.5 V6 within your price range. 14 on Autotrader as we speak.
Best used motorway barge - Avant
Agree totally with Thommo. The 2.5 V6 TDI is a lovely engine, and you'll get a newer Superb for your money than you would a Passat or Audi.

I may be wrong but I don't think SEAT put that engine in the Toledo: there was a V5 petrol but that would cost more to run - and finding one would be a triumph.
Best used motorway barge - Big John
I also agree with Thommo, I got an 18month old 23K PD Superb last year for just over 8k. Usually averages over 52+mpg (Tank to Tank - not computer!) although drops to 48.5 when cruising at high speed in europe. It comfortable and very quiet (especially road and wind noise). A Passat would have cost me a lot more with less toys and legroom, A used Audi (same running gear)would have cost even more.
Best used motorway barge - Micky
Mondeo
Best used motorway barge - David Horn
Rover 75 CDT. Fantastic motorway cruiser and if you spent 200 quid you can get it chipped to 160bhp, which made a world of difference to ours.
Best used motorway barge - Peter S
I think the previous shape A6 in TDI form is probably in your price range, and you might get a newer one than you'd expect. Not a great handling car, but perfect on the motorway IMO

Peter
Best used motorway barge - prm72
I do 120 miles a day in my Vectra 2.0 Dti 03 reg and its very comfy on the motorway, very quiet, even at idle its pretty quiet due to pilot injection, got enough oomph for me, and returns 54 mpg.
Best used motorway barge - Chad.R
Is that a Vectra B or C?
Best used motorway barge - Dynamic Dave
At 03 reg, it'll be a Vectra-C I imagine.
Best used motorway barge - prm72
Yep, Vectra C, now on 76,000 and hasn't missed a beat. ( franticly touching wood )
Best used motorway barge - wazza
i also commute long distances and hence rely heavily on my car. I normally go for a mondeo and use it till it falls apart. Reason why i go for a common car is because the parts are readily available and there is no need to wait as may be the case on uncommon cars like 607. Last thing you need is the car to be off road while waitong for parts. Then again cars are generally more reliable nowadays and from motorway driving there will be less wear on your drivetrain and brakes compared to driving around town.

what abut omega with 2.2litre oil burner. I believe the 2.5litre has a bmw powertrain which requires oil change every 5k miles?