Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - leonora
My previous jazz vs note has now become a battle of head vs heart with the Mini strongly battling against the jazz. But I am warned that the Mini is not the car to sit in for any length of time for motorway journies. Come on you Mini lovers - help me convince my family that this will be the car for me!!!
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Bill Payer
Well, we have a Jazz, and in my opinion it's not a suitable car for long journeys. Maybe the seats are OK for shorter people, but I'm 6ft, and the seat base is really not long enough the provide adequate support for my legs.
I also find the car is affected by crosswinds and by the wake from trucks (I assume because it's a bit taller than average).

I've never driven a new Mini, but I would expect it to be much more stable. My concern would be that it might be a bit 'lively', which is great on country lanes but would make it tiring to drive long distances. Note I could be completely wrong about this, but I'd want to try it on a decent run first.

Having made the above comments, I have to say that I do see plenty of both cars on the motorways, so they both must be manageable.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - y2k+4
Well I would suggest, based on this, you wait for the new MINI 2007 versions that will be out late this year (Cooper and Cooper S) and early next (One and One D). The latter two are likely to have softer suspension more suited to the motorway, while all are supposed to received revised suspension to make them all better cruisers.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Blue {P}
My brother takes his up and down the country once a week and has no problem, it's the diesel model with sports seats and cruise control etc.

Personally I find the seats a bit hard, but he seems to like it a lot.

Blue
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - robcars
Not much experience of either car over distance so not really much to help you with, but.

In my experience you can't beat a bigger car with bit more CC if you are doing regular long distance driving. I know its economy issue too but bigger cars come into their own over distance.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - frazerjp
Without going off the subject - I have a ford Ka & i've used it to up to Scotland a few times, but i've had no trouble with it at all.
The noise inside the cabin is not as bad as people say, the 1.3 engine is pretty capable of going up slight gradients as it has a light body. But as it's a short wheel base, it can be quite bumpy in places but not enough to make it uncomfortable.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - s61sw
I think it 's generally what you're used to - had to do a 120 mile round trip (mainly motorway) in Mrs. S6's Yaris at the weekend and was starting to suffer from a thick head at the end of it, because of the extra racket over my petrol S60. I should add that we had 2 cycles on the back, so it was high revs for a lot of the time. The seats were also starting to numb my nether regions. Mrs. S6's daughter went from Essex to the Western Isles and back in a Suzuki Swift with 4 passengers - said it was no problem - to me this would be torture.
S6 1SW
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - s61sw
just for clarity, it was the old shape swift, and in answer (again) to the OP, it depends on what you're used to, and what you can put up with.
S6 1SW
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Rumfitt
I had a Mini Cooper S and absolutely adored it around the quiet roads and lanes of the Scottish Highlands - unbelievable good fun!

However, I made a trip down to Edinburgh and later, to North West England and I decided to sell it on the basis of those journeys...

The pot-holed streets of Edinburgh conspired with the Mini's firm ride and run-flat tyres to make driving a misery - and the constant raucous thrum on the motorway gave me no pleasure either.

I would suspect that a less sporty example may be significantly better in these respects but don't kid yourself too much! I found that its cramped cabin gave me real problems on a long journey as aches and muscle irritations overwhelm any other feelings.

I had cause to borrow a basic Ford Ka for two round trips of 1200 miles a piece and this was much comfier, if not exactly speedy, so not all small cars are unsuitable.

It all depends on how often you anticipate doing a long journey but there are far better choices out there for sure.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Avant
Leonora - you want to fall in love with your car, don't you - and why not!

SWMBO loves her month-old MINI One, but drove it from Berkshire to Suffolk and back and admits that it wasn't at its best on motorways. Minis are for being nippy in traffic, and for having fun on sweeping A-roads or twisting country lanes.

So - do you need the space for people and luggage? Minis are OK for two with the rear seats folded down (but you can see the luggage from outside), not much good for four, let alne their luggage. If those are the priorities, it'll be too small and it'll irritate you.

If you can't love the Jazz and can't get comfortable in the Note (per your last thread), do try a Yaris. Elder daughter is oin her second - lots of motorway trips - and she has loved them both. Make sure it's a 1.3 - very lively, and more roomy than a Mini, less so than a Jazz. And you may get a better deal on your RAV4 again another Toyota.

I know it's annoying when you ask for advice on Car A v. Car B to have Car C suggested - but if neither A nor B are ideal then it makes sense.

Left-field thought finally - could you afford to keep the RAV 4 and buy a second-hand Mini, just for you?
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Xileno {P}
For comfort you need a long wheelbase.
Hi Avant

The RAV is my car (and boy this is a really long story that I won't bore you with) to replace. My husband has a company car on order (Civic R thingy) to replace the ageing and truly horrid astra which I actually use to go to and from work (2 miles each way x 4 daily). Hence cannot keep RAV unless we want three cars. The reason I am wavering is because the RAV is such a wonderful drive and such fun. The Jazz seemed to be just a car whereas the Mini offers that certain appeal. I know at 53 I should not be thinking image but surely the Honda is just an old woman's car and I don't want to give in just yet. However, I am an eminently practical person hence my current dilemma. My entire family is so sick of this saga that they are going to have me sectioned if I mention the word car to them even once more. But joining this forum has been a revelation and I am so glad that I am not actually mad but perfectly normal in wanting to look, inspect, digest, test drive, drool over and embrace that wonderful thing we call the car before I put my money where my mouth is.

So - in essence - should I give in to my deepest desires and pretend I am ten years younger or be realistic and go for the Jazz which is a) marginally cheaper, b) I can get my 84 and 85 year old parents in the back. Incidentally, most of my driving will be local with only the odd journey up the motorway 60 miles to see said parents.

Please help!!!

Oh, and what about the Sedici or Suzuki SX4, they look quite nice...but I have a dread fear of french or italian vehicles and reliability...
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Citroënian {P}
A lot of this depends on your selection of tyres, wheels and suspension. Ours was middle of the road, a Cooper running on Sports suspension with 16" run flats. Excellent handling, but a bit bumpy for passengers on bumpy roads. 17" and 18" make for filling-loosening rides, as does the Sports+ suspension. Runflats don't really help either.

We did a lot of miles in ours, including a run to Brittany and it was fine on the motorway, quick and pretty comfortable. With only me & SWMBO in the car the seats can go right back for acres of legroom and the pedal layout is such that it's a very comfortable place to be.

If you like the idea of a MINI, go ahead and get one...but I wouldn't advise taking the whole family away in it together unless you're from "The Shire" ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shire_%28Middle-earth%29 ).
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Aprilia
I've done a few long journeys in Mini's and I'm not a fan. I find the car uncomfortable and noisy on a motorway - its always bobbing about, so tiring on a long journey. They are not really suited to the task, as others have said. Try one of the small Jap cars mentioned, and take a look at the new Suzuki Swift. Not as fast as the Mini but the same kind of concept and a fair bit more comfortable.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - cheddar
Having driven around Europe in an MG Metro Turbo 20 odd years ago I would say any car can do a long journey however if comfort on long runs is a priority there are more suitable cars than Minis out there, perhaps a Golf or Focus, a diesel, very relaxed at m/way speeds.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - jc2
I bought a KA four years ago and found it excellent,suprisingly so on long journeys but have now replaced it with a Sportka which in many ways is a better car but I do not find it so good on m/ways.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Mad Maxy
I've a Cooper S with Chilli pack (inc 17 in wheels) and I think it's remarkably refined on the motorway: comfortable, quiet and very capable. It's got big-car qualities in a small-car format. However, soft and 'comfy' barge it's not, so if you like a blandbox with a silky ride a MINI probably isn't for you. If you want a car that's lively, that communicates with you and that you feel in touch with, then consider it. This is my second MINI (first was a mere Cooper) and it's a great car.

I'm driving it to Fort William (500 miles) for a week's holiday this Friday. Looking forward to it.

The RAV is my car (and boy this is a really long story that I won't bore you with) to replace. My husband has a company car on order (Civic R thingy) to replace the ageing and truly horrid astra which I actually use to go to and from work (2 miles each way x 4 daily). Hence cannot keep RAV unless we want three cars. The reason I am wavering is because the RAV is such a wonderful drive and such fun. The Jazz seemed to be just a car whereas the Mini offers that certain appeal. I know at 53 I should not be thinking image but surely the Honda is just an old woman's car and I don't want to give in just yet. However, I am an eminently practical person hence my current dilemma. My entire family is so sick of this saga that they are going to have me sectioned if I mention the word car to them even once more. But joining this forum has been a revelation and I am so glad that I am not actually mad but perfectly normal in wanting to look, inspect, digest, test drive, drool over and embrace that wonderful thing we call the car before I put my money where my mouth is.

So - in essence - should I give in to my deepest desires and pretend I am ten years younger or be realistic and go for the Jazz which is a) marginally cheaper, b) I can get my 84 and 85 year old parents in the back. Incidentally, most of my driving will be local with only the odd journey up the motorway 60 miles to see said parents.

Please help!!!

Oh, and what about the Sedici or Suzuki SX4, they look quite nice...but I have a dread fear of french or italian vehicles and reliability...
I am so glad that I am not actually mad but perfectly normal in wanting to look, inspect, digest, test drive, drool over and embrace that wonderful thing we call the car before I put my money where my mouth is.

You're among friends here!

I think I saw on the usedcarroadshow last night that the Suzuki is one of the worst depreciating cars you can buy, something like 60% lost in 12 months. Which would make it a bad purchase new, but a good one 12 months old! If you like that, have a look at the Panda 4x4, very nice car. BIt narrow for someone like me with a taste for pies, but very nice.

If you're wavering about a MINI, go take a test drive. It clinched it for us!

Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - DavidHM
Sorry but if you can show me a 1-year-old Swift going for less than 80% of the new price, I'll be amazed.

The old, mid-80s relic that was the last Swift was a disastrous depreciator from a very low price, but it wasn't even good or expensive enough to be a Daewoo rival. The new one is entirely different apart from the name.
David, I think the SX4 and Sedici are the same car more or less (a la C8/807) - not the swift

Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - DavidHM
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Swift - you're right about the SX4. That said, even the rubbish old Jimny didn't lose quite that much so I'd like to know where those figures come from.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - Bill Payer
So - in essence - should I give in to my
deepest desires and pretend I am ten years younger or be
realistic and go for the Jazz which is a) marginally cheaper,
b) I can get my 84 and 85 year old parents
in the back. Incidentally, most of my driving will be local
with only the odd journey up the motorway 60 miles to
see said parents.

Get the Jazz. We're a little bit younger than you but my wife loves her Jazz, and our kids both like driving it too. I'm continuously amazed by just how well put together it is, and I use it for all my short journeys if it's available.

Around were we live, there are 2 very good Honda dealers and there are absolutely *loads* of Jazz's (Jazzi?) in the area. They're driven by people of all ages. I think the reason it's got an 'older' image is that younger people probably think it's out of their price range. In reality it's whole life cost is probably comparable with many cheaper cars.

Ours is a just 3 yrs old. It had it's 3 yr service and MOT yesterday which of course it easily passed. I had a newish one as a courtesy car, and it definitely rides better than ours. My only criticism of the new one is the silver treatment of the radio controls looks a bit tacky - I much prefer the look of ours.
Hi Leonora - if you need to get one or both parents in the back a MINI may not be ideal, unless the new Civic is going to be a 5-door, and i think the type R is only 3.

I don't think you'd like a Sedici (big and getting reliable one is more of a gamble) or a Suzuki 4wd - (big and not very lively) - but someone suggested a Swift which would be more fun. If the Mini is too small, and the Jazz too 'elderly' (I believe the average age of a Jazz buyer is 58 - just my age!), then have a test drive in

- Toyota Yaris 1.3
- Suzuki Swift 1.5
- Skoda Fabia 1.4 100 bhp (there's also an estate which personally I think looks better)

Have fun!
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - barchettaman
.......If you like that, have a look at the Panda 4x4.....

Easily the slowest thing I´ve ever driven. The 2wd however is magic fun.
I have just heard that the Jazz is being replaced next year so I am really not sure i want to go in that direction as one of the reasons for looking at this was the residuals - and I had been swaying in that direction. Mini salesperson did not even bother to ring me back after I suggested that they up their offer (£7,500) on my 03 RAV (60,000 miles) to match Honda's (7,800). Do they not want a sale? Surely common courtesy is not competely dead. Yes, £300 is not a huge sum but I do not want to give money to someone with such a lackadaisical attitude. So I am veering back to square one and starting from scratch. I want: small(ish), economical, reliable, NOT old person image, practical, cute - and not about to be replaced (I know the new mini is imminent but I don't think it really looks that different). Of course, I could just wait until next year but then I will have to find an even bigger sum to replace the RAV and I don't think I can count on having it.

Should I jiust get on with it and buy the Mini (maybe from another garage which has been recommended)? Or be sensible? AAAggghh!!
Avant - I forgot to answer your suggestions, sorry. I have looked and looked and looked and looked at the new Yaris and tried so hard to love it. My father has the old Yaris and I really, really like it. Had it not been updated I would definitely be looking at that but although I like the look of the new one I just do not like the interior, it seems really cheap and plasticky and there is just not enough storage (yes, I know neither has the Mini). But maybe I should give it the two day trial and I would get to like it. You are right, I'm sure I would get offered a better deal, although come to think of it we test drove a Prius back in February and were only offered £8,000 then for the RAV - oh, £9,000 for a week if we bit the bullet straight away! As far as the Smart is concerned I just don't like the look of it but maybe I should go and see it in the flesh (garage is some 20 miles away).

PS My husband is really near to the phone with the hospital number in his hand so I have to be super quiet at home now...
Fair enough Leonora - you can't make yourself love something (or someone!) if it juist isn't happening. Tell you what - next time you're in a newsagent get a copy of the What Car New Car Guide - I think Top Gear do one as well. This has all the new cars on sale in it with assessments, and also photos so that if you hate the look of something you won't waste time going to a dealer.

It's a big decision - take your time and make sure your husband humours you!

I wouldn't go for a Smart - that really is small and they're dropping the bigger Forfour. Maybe as your father has a Yaris you won't have to take your parents in the back of your car - so you will probably end up with a Mini! SWMBO loves her Mini One - short motorway trips are fine; we just wouldn't choose it to go over 100 miles.
Hi Avant

Just seen your last - you may have noticed my new query re vehicle height. I am now getting rather tired of the whole thing!!! But I mustn't give in - the perfect car is there somewhere. By the way, I meant Swift, not Smart (Freudian slip?).

I know the Mini can be fitted with larger tyres. I am not good at engineering posers - does this really mean that the car would be elevated by a couple of inches (ie 17" tyres instead of the standard 15"?). If so maybe I should just do what I wanted in the first place...
17" wheels wouldn't make the Mini any easier to get in or out of - they just make the cornering even more sporty and the ride harder. Unless you're a girl-racer, you'll be very happy with the roadholding on the standard wheels.

I think the crunch point is whether you often need to take people in the back. If so, get a 5-door: if not, and you test drve a Mini and love it, go for it.
Sorry - I didn't see the separate problem on your new thread! Ignore the above - it may be true but won't have been helpful. I've said something on the other thread now.
Mini - Suitability for Long journeys - NickS
Hi,

My girlfriend has a Cooper, and i regularly drive it from Preston to ipswich and enjoy it immensley. I however have a Fabia vRS and it is an awesome little beast, v.quick, economical, beats the mini hands down in all but brand image IMHO.