Registration transfers - JamesH
Through various searches, I have found conflicting information regarding registration transfers. Please can anyone with experience of the situation clarify the costs involved.

From the DVLA website:
* It costs £80 to transfer a plate from one car to another (but it seems they both have to be yours)
* It costs £105 to put a plate from a car on to retention
* It costs £25 to renew a retained plate annually
* It costs £25 to alter the nominee details on a retained plate
* Unissued plates bought direct from the DVLA can be put on a car with no further fee to be paid (issued on a V750 with message stating that fees are paid, instead of V778 above), since the cost includes an £80 assignment fee.

What seems unclear is whether a plate on retention (not bought from the DVLA) has to have another £80 assignment fee paid. Suppose I wwill be about to buy a plate from a non-DVLA source, such as a private individual via eBay, that was still on the sellers car at present. Would the DVLA have to be paid £105 to get it on retention, £25 to transfer it to me and another £80 to get it on the new car? This is assuming I don't yet own the car it would be transferred to. I have read various different combinations of the fees elsewhere.

No rants on the merits or otherwise of cherished plates please, there are plenty of other threads for that, I would just like to be sure of the likely costs.

Thanks,

James
Registration transfers - IanJohnson
From experience (done it twice) it costs £80 to transfer a number onto another car - one can be a car you are buying so is almost yours when the transfer takes place. If the car is new you also pay the £25 first registration fee.

It costs £105 (just paid it as wife's car was written off) to put a number onto retention but this INCLUDES the £25 registration fee which is due when it is put onto another car - paid up front. When her new car arrives the first registration fee is already paid and all we do is pass the certificate to the dealer who registers the car - fees already paid.

From what you are doing there should just be the £25 fee to amend details, but then the first registration fee is already paid so you don't lose out.

If in doubt speak to your local DVLA office.
Registration transfers - BB
IIRC.....

To take it off and back on retention is £105 with an extra £25 to change the details. You will be then be the nominee. You will then have a year to put it on your car.

In total, if all the fees aren't included in the ebay , it can prove to be quite expensive. Before you buy have a look at www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/

You can get a lot of plates from the DVLA or £250 including £80 assignment fee. You will be paying £130 just to get the plate on your car. This is on top of your winning bid.
Registration transfers - JamesH
So it seems that the £80 assignment fee is not paid twice, which makes the cost more bearable.

The reason I ask is that many registration traders and eBay sellers require DVLA fees on top of the listed price, even though it may have already been paid. For the former this could be due to tax treatment, and the latter to cut eBay final value fees, and in both cases to make the plate seem cheaper than it really is.

I will take the advice of checking with the DVLA though. I wanted to ask here first in case I only get the same information back as what is on their website.

They also have an auction coming up of unissued plates, with the total fees quite well explained.

Thanks,

James