Wheelbase and ride quality - Kingpin
A thought crossed my mind today about length of wheelbase and it's affect on ride quality. I remember a long time back, I think it was LJK in one of his essays said the longer the better. His class standard was the Peugeot 505 or similar (handsome beast especially GTI).
Being the driver of a new shape Fiat Panda which has a tendency to 'pitch' and be affected by undulations in the road at higher speeds I did a bit of research on the web and was horrified to find out (if the figures are reliable) that it is not very well endowed and has the second shortest wheelbase (2299mm) apart from the Smart Four Two (1812mm). Other similar cars have more to brag about down below (C1 2340mm, Picanto 2370mm, Charade 2375mm, Matiz 2345mm). Might this explain it's lack of stability coupled with light kerb weight?
I had a quick glance at the big boys before I finished - (Fiesta 2486mm, Focus 2640mm, Mondeo 2754mm, Skoda Superb 2803mm!!).
So there you have the holy grail of ride quality and composure- find an oldish barge with enough weight to stop and bounce and plenty of length to iron out the undulations. Considering the poor state of UK roads it's the only way to go. Omega anyone?...
Wheelbase and ride quality - Xileno {P}
You need a nice hydropneumatic Citroen.
Wheelbase and ride quality - Hamsafar
Having hired a bobcat a couple of times www.landsport.com/8k/7k%20763%20bobcat.jpg
I think it's true, an extreme example but I've never been in anything like if for pitching I even banged my head twice.
Wheelbase and ride quality - Altea Ego
The clio three checks in at 2575mm, very long wheelbase for a supermini, and for sure does not have a whif of pitching.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Wheelbase and ride quality - Lud
Longer the wheelbase, better the ride all other things being equal.

Obviously in front of the front axle or behind the rear axle are the worst places. The greatest stability is in the middle.
Wheelbase and ride quality - bell boy
Longer the wheelbase, better the ride all other things being equal.
Obviously in front of the front axle or behind the rear
axle are the worst places. The greatest stability is in the
middle.

Good advice especially if you like coach trips.............(the middle is the best)
Wheelbase and ride quality - glowplug
Exactly why I bought a Xantia with hydractive 2 suspension.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Wheelbase and ride quality - cheddar
The ratio between sprung and unsprung weight is key to ride quality.
Wheelbase and ride quality - Number_Cruncher
I would be interested to hear you explain to us exactly why you think this is the case - it would be helpful if you could point us towards your reference sources, to help us understand your logic.

Number_Cruncher
Wheelbase and ride quality - Number_Cruncher
Sorry, my post above was in response to Cheddar's post, but appeared lower down the thread for some reason?
Wheelbase and ride quality - Group B
So there you have the holy grail of ride quality and
composure- find an oldish barge with enough weight to stop and
bounce and plenty of length to iron out the undulations. Considering
the poor state of UK roads it's the only way to
go. Omega anyone?...

Yes I went from driving a Saab 9000, to using a Corsa SXi for two weeks. Saab 9000 you may say is a bit of a barge, but on my twice daily motorway commute had a very stable, composed ride and was a relaxing drive. Whereas the Corsa pitched very noticeably on the motorway, which really detracted from the ride quality. Obviously accentuated by me being used to the Saab, but was disagreeable all the same. I don't suppose its a problem for thousands of Corsa owners (my Mum included), who rarely do motorway journeys.
I've always preferred bigger cars anyway, and would never buy anything smaller than a Golf sized car.
Wheelbase and ride quality - artful dodger {P}
Other factors that can adversely affect the ride quality are stiff suspension and low profile tyres. Both improve handling but at the detriment of ride quality.

Certainly agree that a long wheelbase is better for ride quality than a short wheelbase.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.