Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Dry bearings
The two new front tyres just fitted by the dealer to my Focus Zetec have the name 'Event' on them.I have done a search on these and it just brings up a mobile tyre fitting coy.Anyone know who makes them? Sound like budget tyre to me.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Hamsafar
I suspect they are a "Your company name here" tyre tyre from a third world country.
Probably supplied by the national mobile tyre fitting company by the same name - Event, I suspect the dealer subcontracted it to them.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Tomo
When I had to go Tesco rather than order on the internet I used to be intrigued by the numbers of curious names on tyres, and concluded that some of them must be the same tyre under a different name. Not that I would have contemplated fitting any of them, and had in fact one oriental brand removed from Toad as supplied and replaced by P Zeroes. But perhaps they are good enough for mimsers correction slow "careful" drivers?

Best worn out as soon as possible, I suggest.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - tr7v8
Currently have Acellera fitted to the front of the Porsche whilst I get it sorted out then get a full geometry check done. They were £98 for 2 as against £150 for G/Y GSD3 F1's. They aren't bad, braking wet & dry pretty good & ultimate grip is only slightly less than the Bridgestones on the back & I drive far harder than most, certainly not mimser more like maximiser! So I think it becomes an element of brand snobbery, although once sorted it'll have F1's on the front to match the pair of s/h ones I've acquired for the back.
Who do I complain to with a problem the tyre dealer of course the same as you would if it was a Pirelli, Goodyear, Dunlop etc.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - LeePower
They also sound a good bet to ruin the handling of the Focus.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Pete M
Could there be an element of badge snobbery at work here? After all, at various times, Toyo, Kumho, and even Bridgestone have been regarded as 'inferior' brands, despite performing creditably in independent tests. Lesser known brands have to start somewhere, and over time they produce better and better tyres. Some of the motorcycle tyre brands that were regarded as 'rubbish' in the 1970s are now fitted to high performance machines as standard. Of my three cars, the Jag has Pirelli P4000, the Mitsubishi has Goodyear F1 GSD3, and the Mini has Bridgestones. In each case I got the best I could find. Only on the Jag would I baulk at some of the lesser known brands, so even I am guilty of some snobbery.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Hamsafar
I agree, but Kumho used to be rubbish, now they aren't, (and they aren't that cheap either nowadays) I think most of these budget foreign brands were bought by the big premium brands who were worried they would take too much trade away in the long run.
However, imagine you had a problem with an Event, Dark Horse or Joyryder tyre, who the hell would you complain to?
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Stuartli
Tyres have to meet a minimum (BSI?)standard and I'm pretty sure that a Ford dealership would not fit tyres that didn't maintain the quality expected both by law and customers; no doubt there's a buy-in financial incentive.

Verderstein, for instance, used to be regarded as a "cheap" tyre but most people are aware that they are better than that status.

When I first owned a car in the early 1960s, we used to have John Bull and similar brand names - in fact they were produced by the leading tyre manufacturers, Dunlop, Firestone etc and were basically the same tyre as the main brand name, but at lower cost.

On my last car, a VW Jetta 1.6 TX, because of its mileage and my gradually diminishing UK wide travelling, I used to fit a brand called Sava from Hi-Q.

They were half the price of the big brand names and delivered pretty much similar performance and longevity.

Mind you it would/might have proved a different scenario if I'd owned a much higher performance car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - henry k
we used to have John Bull and similar brand names

>>- in fact they were produced by the leading tyre manufacturers, Dunlop, Firestone etc
>>and were basically the same tyre as the main brand name, but at lower cost.

I used to fit Firestones second brand whos name I do not recall.
They were made at the Firestone factory on the A4 at Brentford.
A good friend of mine literally collected them from the moulds.
They certainly saved me some £££s

On previous cars I fitted Goodyear Club which I think were a slightly older design than the main Goodyear tyres.
They were made in South Africa .
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Aprilia
I think a lot of these oddly-named tyres are produced by the big companies as a 'budget line' tyre - using tread patterns and compounds from older-generations of tyres.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Stuartli
Just found out a bit more about Sava tyres and others (confirming Aprilia's posting); it's a Goodyear brand name:

www.tyres-online.co.uk/marketing/goodyear.asp

I also recall the Kelly name from some years ago, which is also mentioned in this link.

Other manufacturers are also covered but, unfortunately, most of the Products Database pages are not working properly at present - I've tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - daveyjp
Armstrong tyres which are the favoured budget brand at Ford Rapidfit outlets are to all intents and purposes Pirellis.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Dry bearings
I have to say I didn't buy the car from a Ford dealer,just a local dealer who sells locally owned cars with history.I was in touch with a helpful chap from Event.Mobile Tyres last night.He didn't know who the makers were either.Apparently they buy them in on a 'as and when required' basis from a large warehouse.They have sold lotsof them with no troubles.However should I have any problems to contact him directly.Sounds fair enough to me.The car runs as sweet as a nut,and the tyres aren't noisy,a point I noticed from other users.We'll just have to see.
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Artizan
OK I had to get some new tyres, I did have Michelin Pilots on, as it was an emergency I has some fitted on the front (I always fit in pairs) and I needed 2 rears as well. I thought they would be Marshalls as they are a main agent, but when I got home they were Events as well.

This is what I have found out so far. They are at: www.Eventtyres.com. Based in Holland have been in business since 2005.
But I don't think they are a manufacturer, as the tyres have P.R.C which is Peoples Republic of China. So looks like they are importing for a manufacturer in China, I have fired off an email to them to ask which one they import from.
As to whether these are stock off their suppliers shelves or made to Events specification i.e. tyre pattern/composition I don't know yet.

I suspect they will not reply, if they don't then do not get them from a premium factory. There are one or two good manufacturers in China like Qingdao or Nankang.

I have seen references of Event tyres being on the Continental website, so this may tie in with this dutch company and this bit of news... the dates do seem to be compatible.

"Conti enters Chinese tyre JV with Qingdao; Signing in China is first stage of tyre manufacturing project for Continental." (News) Publication Date: 01-NOV-04
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - TimOrridge
I had two front events fitted 18 mionth ago and got 1 year/18k out of them oy audi 80 2.0. No problems at all

Asked for them last time but they didnt have them so got MAXXIS

OK by my standards, not sport tyres but i dont drive sporty
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Carse
Hi,

I bought a Mondeo ST TDCI about 1 1/2 years ago and it had two Event tyres on the front and 2 Continental?s on the back. I did not notice this until well into my ownership. But I never had any problems with them and they gave me 25000 miles of fault free service. I have just had all 4 tyres replaced (I do about 30k a year) and got Event to fit them using there own brand tyres as were fitted on the fronts.

They do fit premium tyres but they were approx £100 more expensive. I have done about 5k on these again with no issues what so ever. The tyres fitted to my Mondeo only have a 40 profile and require extra load tyres (which the Event are) so they do have to be quite competent.

Overall as stated above in the thread all tyres have to comply with approved standards and the only concern is life span, which as already motioned on my car was about 25k+ which is more than acceptable to me with a car that puts out 155BHP with 400 Nm of torque.

Carse
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Roly93

Could there be an element of badge snobbery at work here? After all, at various times, Toyo, Kumho, and even Bridgestone have been regarded as 'inferior' brands, despite performing creditably in independent tests. Lesser known brands have to start somewhere,

To a point this is true, but there are huge swathes of sub-standard chinese tyres out there that are bordering on dangerous, with brand names like Freeway, Fullway, Goodride etc etc. These junky hoops at best are impossible to get balanced properly and at worst bulge and mis-shape in a very short space of time. Toyo and Kumho are accepted brands now, and as for Bridgestone (which I had from new on my A4) they are a premium brand which frankly arent very good in the wear department.

I'm very much a Falken man myself.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - SteveLee

Best tyres I had on my XJ8 - by far - were Kumhos (KH11s if I remember rightly), better wet or dry than the o/e P6000s and lasted longer too. The PZeros on my XJR were simply superb - but then they only lasted about 8K on the rear with my lead right foot so I'm not surprised they were rather grippy.

99% of the tyres out there are good enough these days for the average driver with the average car - yes, even "nasty" Chinese brands - which would beat 10 year-old premium brands hands down in a tyre test. Did you crash and die ten years ago? No? Thought not.

The worst tyres I've ever had (compared to grip expectations of the day) were Michelin Energys on my C5 - lethal in the wet and absolutely no feel - the Chinese “ditchfinders” (according to the rubbish in the press) I've got on now are much better and cost a third of the price. Continental's eco-equivalent were just as gripless but at least they gave you plenty of feedback to let you know you're getting near the limit.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - unthrottled

Interesting. I found michelin Energy ok. My car is lighter than a C5 but probably sitting on narrower rubber. Not the stickiest rubber, but the clue is in the name 'energy'; low rolling resistance and exceptional grip are pretty much diametrically opposed attributes!

Well the Kumhos lasted well and gripped well. As did the Nexins (sp?) on my C5. I think Korean tyres are pretty much up there with the premium brands but without the premium prices - although they are sneaking up as people realise how good they are.

The LingLonglovemelongtimes on the rear of my C5 have not worn at all in over 15K miles so far and grip perfectly well, I've had one snap-oversteer incident, a combination of very wet conditions and me driving like a tit. The Nankang all seasons on the front gave me outstanding grip in the snow last year and have been more than acceptable in summer conditions.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Grantley

Event Moile Tyres are an internet based mobile tyre fitting service.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Collos25

I wonder where these vast swathes of chinese substandard tyres are,I don't see reports of accidents in the papers anywhere in europe I think its a figment of somebodies imagination.

Agreed.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Roly93

I wonder where these vast swathes of chinese substandard tyres are,I don't see reports of accidents in the papers anywhere in europe I think its a figment of somebodies imagination.

I am speaking from personal experience but we had to throw away a new pair of Fullway tyres as they just couldn't have the judder balanced out of them. Also I know someone who bought another Chinese brand and had one disintegrate after a couple of hundred miles thankfully with no major incident involved.

A lot of these tyres dont neccesarily wear quickly as they use hard rubber, so people think they are good just on this basis. But hard rubber means no wet grip.

If a tyre is nearly1/3 of the price of a premium brand, you have to ask some questions.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - turbo11

In 30 years of driving, the only tyres I have had trouble with have been cheap tyres. One set of new tyres which were fitted on a Passat estate I bought (Sunny or Sunew -Can't remember which) wore completely out of round in less than 7000 miles. My local tyre fitters reckon they see this all the time with certain cheap rubber. The Bridgestones that replaced them covered over 30,000 miles. Also my ex's Clio had a set of cheapo's delaminate in very low mileage. For me, my personal and professional experience will always steer me towards decent tyres. Obviously it also depends on how much your budget is, and I agree that there are some very good value for money tyres out there with Uniroyal, Falken and Kumho. Although I think their prices are creeping up. The Uniroyals on my wifes car were superb in the snow. A big improvement over the original fit Yokohama's. Where on mine Dunlop and Continental are great in the dry, ok in the wet and woeful in the snow, although the extreme negative camber really doesn't help. Thats why I bought Pirelli Sottozero winters. I hope we get loads of snow this coming winter.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Victorbox

I purchased two Tigar tyres to replace two 7 year old and age cracked Michelin Energy tyres that still had 3mm of tread on them. Two years later I'm looking to replace the Tigars with a quality brand as they are completely worn out - down to the limit and even showing signs of cracking on the tyre walls. The Tigars may be 60% of the price of a Michelin but in the long run the premium brand tyre wins out.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - davmal
If good tyres "last" for seven years plus, maybe it's a good idea to use cheaper ones. At least you wont be driving around on tyres that could be deteriorating like mad on the inside or delaminating between substrates without your knowing, thinking they are fine because there's still tread on them?
Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Collos25

Tyre dealer near my house in the UK who I have used since the invention of the wheel has absolutely no problems with any type or make of tyre there are manufacturing problems like any other product but this applies to any make.Most people who come back and say these tyres did not last as long as my last set generally when shown have worn shocks and bushes.Having done some 85k km on a set of chinese tyres on a 407 without any trouble and they are still good for a good few more kms and have had them fitted on my MB I would say they are as good as anything out here in the market place no stupid adverts like Michelins effort just good basic value for money and no snobbishness something we have forgotten about in Europe.I am not going to drive at 250kmh especially not in the UK and certainly not in mainland Europe so to me they fit the bill.

having done some 85k km on a set of chinese tyres on a 407 without any trouble and they are still good for a good few more kms

That's a mixed blessing. My problem with some of the cheaper brands is that the compounds are too hard to afford decent grip-and the b***** things go on forever.

Years ago, unbeknown to us, my dad put some cheap tyres on a car I shared with my mother. Within weeks, We'd both had instances of the car of the car spinning out. Never happened before or since the tyres were replaced.

You're right about the snobbery aspect and possibly a bit of racism towards funny foreign names. But I'm never having hard wearing tyres again. If I only have 165mm or rubber on the road, it'll be soft 165mm.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - Sofa Spud

Our VW Touran 1.9 TDI has Event tyres on the front. They were on it when we bought the car 18 months ago. I'd never heard of Event before and although the tyres were new I was considering swapping them to the back and having new Michelins on the front.

However, I left the Event tyres on the front. They have given no problems, they don't show much wear and the car handles fine - although they're the only tyres I've known it with, so I have nothing to compare it with.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/07/2011 at 18:33

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - bathtub tom

Think yourselves lucky you have the choice of tyres.

One of my cars has 12" wheels. I have to fit whatever I can find!

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - madf

Drove Chinese and Michelin tyres over the winter. The Chinese had virtually no grip in snow and ice. The Michelins were a lot better...

Cheap Chinese tyres are probably OK in the dry and warm. I would not choose them for local use...

Do the Chinese have the same reservations about driving on Chinese tyres?
Or dothey all aspire to owning Korean models?
Do the Chinese have the same reservations about driving on Chinese tyres?
Or dothey all aspire to owning Korean models?

I've heard that Kim-Jung Il tyres have more grip than a 20 tonne hydraulic vice, lower rolling resistance than teflon in a vacuum, and are more hard wearing than diamond. All for £4.99 inc taxes...

I don't think that the problem is Chinese manufacturing methods, it's the fact that westerners will only buy asian goods of an unknown name if the goods are dirt cheap. If Michelin tried to make a tyre for £10, I'm sure it would be equally terrible.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - jamie745

My S-Type came with Michelin Primacy's all round. Dont know if thats what it was made with new but i cant fault them.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - JOGON

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/news/honest-john-outstanding-achievement-award-goes-to-event-tyres-1546.php

Edited by Jog-on on 13/07/2011 at 17:28

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - plodder-exup

I have a set of Event tyres on a Vectra B and have had them on for 3 years and about 20,000 miles. They have worn maybe 2mm in that time, so probably another 20,000 - 30,000 miles in them.

The grip is OK in the dry and the Vectra understeers, so it's good sport to push the front but in the wet they slide very easily and the back will come round. I can dump the clutch with revs at a standstill and the car does not move an inch with the front wheels spinning up. Getting out of junctions when it's wet on B roads can be a nightmarish balance of searching for grip whilst the oncoming traffic continues obliviously bearing down.

I had to do an emergency stop in March on green unclassified single track road and it just would not stop. It was a comical 20mph "aghh can't stop" farce and I ended up having to put it in the verge/hedge to avoid a slow head-on. It was a useful reminder not to budget on tyres. When I replaced the tyres on my wife's car (ford focus '53 plate) I put Pirellis P6000s on as I've leanrned my lesson with the Event tyres that I would rather be in control of the car than sliding about.

Having said that it's good fun sliding around on open ground and they had enough grip last winter in the minus 17°C cold. Just stay home when it rains ;-).

I've found P6000s to be distinctly average - except for the price, mid-price Korean stuff (Kumho, Nexen etc.) are far better and much cheaper. Okay they are probably better than the budget stuff but that's about it.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - captain chaos

Interesting thread, this.

Must admit that I'm guilty of tyre snobbery. One of the first things i look at when buying a used car is the tyres. A pick and mix different budget tyre on each corner points to an I don't care run on a shoestring previous ownership. I walk away.

A mate of mine had his tyres replaced at a main dealers with a cheap make. He's had the car back twice to get the things balanced (and they had the gall to charge him!)

The car still shakes like a dog with distemper.

Event tyres - anyone heard of them? - OssettTyreHouse

Event Tyres are a budget branded tyre but are still a safe and tested tyre.

event tyres are also a mobile fitting service but i dont think that they are linked