Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Surrey_Scientist

Automatics will only start in Park or Neutral ......

I know Park "Locks" the transmission - I am not sure how, but is it better for the car to start in Park, or move it into Neutral then fire the engine ?

Or does it not matter ?

I am assuming the car is parked with the handbrake on and stationary........

In a manual I always dip the clutch in neutral, so not spinning the gearbox when starting to save motor/battery.

In autos so far I have always started them in park, to no ill effect so far. Never yet stalled one, so never had to start on the go in neutral.

Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Hamsafar
P is N with a mechanical lock to prevent the shaft from turning.
It makes no difference to the car, but it is conventional to start in P.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - bell boy
seing as you have to unlock the mechanical bit when its in drive this is the sensible way to do it,indeed a lot of cars unless you put the gear into p will not allow the ignition key to be removed.
Other scenario wife opening gates of house, you are getting sweety wrappers out of centre console and starting car while in neutral ,she shouts "was that the phone dear" ???you turn round shout "WHAT" ?????the car is in the fast start cycle at 1200 revs and you accidently knock it into reverse ,you get your legs ripped off by gatepost .wife loses her life crushed........

dont do it...........
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - honeybear
Always start in P as said before many newer cars will not start unless P is selected. Leaving in P also gives you time to turn on or adjust radio mirrors a/c etc before moving off and is by far the safest way.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - David Horn
Most cars you can slip between N and D + R without needing to push the button. Park requires the button to be depressed in order to move out of it. Recommend P unless you're already in the car with your foot on the brake, which the car probably needs anyway.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Dynamic Dave
Most cars you can slip between N and D + R without needing to push the button.

I think you'll find there is a gate between N & R, and you do have to lift a lever / push a button - whatever to select reverse with most, if not all autos. And there is another gate between R & P as well.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Civic8
P is N with a mechanical lock to prevent the shaft from turning.
It makes no difference to the car, but it is conventional to start in P.

N is not in gear as mechanical box.P is park," transmission locked".If handbrake off in N car will roll on incline,wont in park,Also wont make any difference to starting apart from handbrake being on
--
Steve
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Bill Payer
.. or move it into Neutral then fire the engine ?

I drive an auto, and I've never tried this, but I don't believe that it will move from Park anyway, unless the engine is running?

In fact there are various tricks available (according to the car) to release the Park 'lock' in the event that the car can't be started.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Avant
All cars should have a lock - as Audi and Mercedes do, and probably others - which make it impossible to come out of Park without (a) the engine running (assuming it can be started) and (b) one's foot being on the brake. That should in most cases prevent Oldman's horror scenario.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - bell boy
ive just tried starting an old auto micra in neutral knocked into reverse and killed next doors dog,where do i and the dog stand legally ...............ie can dog sue from doggy land?
and will t-cut remove graze on wing?
ps missed wife...............;-)))))))
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - No FM2R
Was next doors dog on your drive or sitting on neighbours lap in their front room ? The legal situation is slightly different depending.
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Stuartli
A new meaning to the term Park and Ride....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Starting Autos in N or P - which is best - Altea Ego
You do know that in the eternal after life people are pets to dogs?

Anyway, When I have had and drive autos, the car was always left in park and got started in park. Foot on foot brake and a shift into chosen direction and off we jolywell.

See the thing about braking with your right foot with an auto is that there is no spare foot to accidently accelerate with.,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >