Replacing a Jazz - shanna
I've got a Honda Jazz and love it to bits and now it's time to replace it! It's a 52 plate but will have to spend a few thou to update it to an 04 plate or I could go for something different and get nearly new. What do I do .... Replacements we've looked at are Vauxhall Merivas, Mitsubishi Colts, Toyota Yaris (seems a bit small), Suzuki Swifts. Not keen on Fiats as a family member has had them and bits keep falling off. Any ideas?
Replacing a Jazz - AngryJonny
I've got a Honda Jazz and love it to bits and now it's time to replace it!

Why? If it ain't broke...

If you *have* to replace it, why not get another Jazz? There's not a lot out there (in the same market) that can beat it.
Replacing a Jazz - mike hannon
If you buy something like a Meriva you might get a diesel but everything else about it will disappoint you after the Jazz.
That's my main worry cause the jazz is so good. Only v. minor annoyances.
Don't have to replace it but thinking about options. Been in touch with dealers and they're offering me 18 month younger models for 3-4k extra - I think thats a lot!
Replacing a Jazz - robcars
so tell them you love the car and want another but not paying that price and may wander towards another make?
No harm in trying is there! Cheers
Replacing a Jazz - Scott H
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand your logic. Surely there must be an underlying reason for wanting to replace something? I could understand if you were bored of a particular car and fancied a change, but that doesn't seem to be the case from your previous responses. Perhaps you could expand a bit on why you want to change so that we're better placed to make suggestions? However, if it's simply down to the fact you're tired of the number plate, then I agree with the previous posters that another Jazz will fit the bill.
I am a little bored and looking at the numbers it doesn't seem cost effective to replace my car with a car of only 18 months younger for that sort of money but maybe thats my fault for not keeping up to date with car prices. I have been hoping for suggestions as to a car that I could enjoy driving, reliable and not too expensive to run. My last servicing bill came to over £400 and thats also a factor to consider. Had a renault and that wasn't as expensive to service. It's the first time in my life I've been able to change a car because I want to (not because its about to give up on me) and thats where the temptation lies.
Replacing a Jazz - Bill Payer
I am a little bored and looking at the numbers it
doesn't seem cost effective to replace my car with a car
of only 18 months younger for that sort of money but
maybe thats my fault for not keeping up to date with
car prices.

I doubt it ever makes sense in financial terms to upgrade a car - it's a decision of the heart, really.

The thing with the Jazz is that you've probably lost less on it than with almost any other car in % terms, but as they're quite dear in the first place then it's still quite a lot of ££.

I've been humming and harring about changing ours, simply becasue I like to keep it up to date. We paid about £11,000 new for a 53 plate car, and it's been suggested it would cost about £5K to change it for a new one.
Replacing a Jazz - Honestjohn
The new Yaris is more enjoyable to drive than a Jazz and has quite a versatile interior with a sliding rear seat, etc, though not as versatile as a Jazz. Test of the diesel at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=230

HJ
Thanks. Will have a look over the weekend and see what I can get for my money.
Replacing a Jazz - No FM2R
dunno much about small cars, but insofar as the new Yaris is concerned...

Its gutless, although I accept I am used to larger engines.

The plastic used inside is cheap and nasty, which I could live with, but it also doesn't fit properly, which I could not.

The "upper glove box", for want of a better name is a pain - there's no lip so everything falls out, especially if someone is accelerating [hah!] at the same time.

The boot arrangement with its different layers is cute, but simply too complicated and costs space

What is that ashtray arrangement about in the front ? Just silly.

The aircon, heating, whatever dials on the centre console are cheap and fragile and I cannot imagine that they will last long.

The dash is horrible. The glass gets dirty, teh display is distracting, and the fact that it is off to one side is simply annoying. If you're sat in the passenger seat you can see it a bit, which means it keeps catching your eye, but you can't see the whole thing which is frustrating.

The seats are hard and uncomfortable, although leg room is quite ok.

Isn't this the car that someone said is easy to get in and out of ? Well I can't think why it is any easier or more difficult than any other car.

Random cubby holes in the dash are difficult to see into, difficult to retrieve things from and just rattle as soon as they have something in them anyway.

But its quite pretty from the outside, just don't get in one.
Replacing a Jazz - oldgit
How can you say that? Of course it's very subjective whether one likes the interior design or not but I think that the central part of the fascia is an appalling design, with its narrowness forcing some of the operating controls to be so low down.

Additionally, having an almost central binnacle housing the main instruments, well that has never made sense to me, especially when there is a wide expanse of plastic nothingness in front of the driver. These reasons alone would exclude the Yaris from any car list of mine, unfortunately.
>>How can you say that?

Sorry ?? Aren't we both saying its a bad thing ?
Replacing a Jazz - turbo11
The lady who lives three doors down the road from me has just replaced her 52 reg Jazz with a new 06 reg Jazz.She rates them very highly.Think SWMBO will be purchasing one next spring.
I guess No FM2R is referring to the 1.0 litre 3-cylinder Yaris. It's a shame we can't have it with the 110PS 1.5 engine and 4-speed autobox as in Thailand, but logistics dictate against that. I agree with No FM2R about the plastic dash compartments, though. The lids are very plastic.

HJ
Replacing a Jazz - Dodge
I bought a colt 1.1 recently brand new for 6.5K. They are a bargain at the moment due to over supply at factory. Its more sporting to drive than the Yaris but probably less refined.
My previous car was old Yaris which I loved, however the new one is too expensive for a super mini.
The Jazz doesnt even have central locking for £9k. and a terrible stereo. In the far east and Australia they are much cheaper I guess Honda thinks they can sting us brits.
Replacing a Jazz - Bill Payer
The Jazz doesnt even have central locking for £9k. and a
terrible stereo. In the far east and Australia they are much
cheaper I guess Honda thinks they can sting us brits.

I doubt many people buy the basic, £9K 'S' model. It also doesn't have A/C, which I think is essential - there's quite a lot of glass area on the car.

The SE is getting towards £11K and the Sport is £12K (both prices including met paint) and there isn't much in the way of discounts around. Both those models have central locking and the stereo is fine (perhaps there's only 2 speakers on the S?).

I notice it's just come out as a certain consumer magazine's most reliable car in 2006 - no breakdowns in 406 car surveyed. OK, you don't expect breakdowns, but my daughter's Ibiza has broken down twice. Of course, that's really a Polo, and that came out bottom.

Not sure on the pricing thing vs APAC, but all cars are cheaper everywhere else!

I've no idea what the Colt is like, but the quality and engineering of the Jazz are an absolute delight.
Replacing a Jazz - Rocca
Another vote here for the Colt. Bought 1.1 3 door recently, brand new for just £6k. Solidly built, spacious cabin, quality trim, engine surprisingly strong, looks good, long warranty, etc. A great drive and a real bargain at this price level. Only drawback is limited boot space in the 3 door, but I bet you could haggle a new 5 door (Jazz sized) - with aircon - to £7k or thereabouts without too much difficulty
We did like the Colt but were concerned about the smal boot - not sure what the dog thinks! Yaris - not been in one yet so will have to see.
>>I guess No FM2R is referring to the 1.0 litre 3-cylinder Yaris.

Dunno - its called a Yaris T3 or P3 or something.
Next to a MINI the Jazz is the lowest depreciator. So high purchase prices are matched by high 'residual values' when you sell. That's fine. What isn't fine is when manufacturers manipulate the market by holding cars back and discounting heavily to some and not to others. That always ends in tears for consumers.

HJ
The Honda garage have asked me to go in and 'discuss' what I want next as they are, in their words, 'desperately needing used Jazz's'. I am sceptical to say the least.
Replacing a Jazz - Avant
Elder daughter swapped her 1.3 Yaris for a new model of the same this spring - T3 is one of the trim levels (which she has) and I think it can come with the 1.0 engine which is indeed gutless, at least compared with the 1.3.

The Toyota dealer was likewise keen to get used Yarises (or Yares) and she was able to get hers for the same monthly payments as the old one.

SWMBO had a Jazz in 2002 - one of the first to come to the UK - great car, but a little lacking in oomph, and the 1.3 Yaris seems more lively.

So if you want to replace your Jazz, it depends on what's most important to you.

Space and versatility, light controls and general ease of driving - another Jazz.

Lively performance - Yaris 1.3 but also go and look at a Suzuki Swift 1.5. I haven't tried one but it gets a good press and several people on this forum like theirs.

Also the Yaris and Jazz are about the same price but the Suzuki is quite a bit cheaper.

If you don't want to buy new, the Suzuki may not suit as they are a enw model. But the old-shape Yaris 1.3 is just as lively as the new one (same engine) and there are lots of these about.
I've been into a couple of dealerships now and quite like the look of the Nissan Note. Only thing is I could only afford the 1.4 SE as that seems to be the one that's . It's bigger than the Jazz and I presume not quite as economical. Looking on different sites it seems to get an OK review but not as good as the Jazz (surprise surprise). Anyone got one or know of anything horrendous about them?

Ask Honest John

Value my car