2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Rav4Mike
Hi all,

We have a problem with our Toyota Rav4 2.0D4-D diesel ('02 reg, 90k miles) and I hope someone can help!

My wife noticed yesterday a very unusual sound when pulling away in 1st and 2nd as well as reverse. It appears to come from the engine bay and is a sort of rattling/gringing sound - very difficult to describe. We took it straight to the local Toyota main dealer and it was diagnosed as a flywheel failure, which requires a new clutch, flywheel and £1650 from our savings(!) I have had a look on the toyota owners club forum and it has been discussed there, but both the garage and Toyota customer relations say it is unusual and that they can not offer any goodwill towards the repair.

Does anyone have any experience of this? If so, is it a common problem and has anyone else got a goodwill contribution?

Interestingly, one comment on the other forum suggested that changing the fuel filter cured the problem - any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

{amended to include drop down menu selection}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2008 at 11:08

Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Xileno {P}
I can't see any connection with the fuel filter.

I expect there's a fair amount of work to access the flywheel and of course these days on a diesel it is most likely a dual mass one as well - added expense of having a diesel. Just as well you've been getting good MPG ;-)
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Carrow
Just had a look on my parts computer and see that Valeo list a 4 part clutch kit, which I presume comes with the Dual Mass Flywheel. Part no 836006. You can ring 01527 510755/838300 to find out your nearest stockist, it might be worthing asking their technical dept if it is a common fault. Hope this helps you.
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - BB
Yes, if it is the same 2.0 D4D as the Avensis it is a dual mass flywheel. If you have a look at the toyotaowners club website under avensis, you will see that there are a few owners with problems there. IIRC the problems were on cars from 2000-2002 and cars after that period had a modification to the clutch to remedy.

I would be contacting Toyota and taking it to the highest level if need be. Don't give up, but get some good info from the toyota forums. It may take a while, but even if you get a contribution, its better than nothing.

Further to my earlier reply : The Valeo 4 part kit consists of a replacement clutch kit & rigid flywheel. It is claimed to last longer on some applications than the original Dual Mass Flywheel but still retains the damping & transmission torque capabilities of the original. They also claim savings of up to 30% over the cost of original parts. www.valeoservice.com (PS. I don't work for Valeo, but for a motor factor & it is a quiet day!!)
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Xileno {P}
"It is claimed to last longer on some applications than the original Dual Mass Flywheel "

Very likely.

"but still retains the damping & transmission torque capabilities of the original. "

Not sure how that can be so, the main advantage of a DMF is the damping effect.
Go to the link and see what is written there about it. Something to do with a "WX Disc" & "wide angle of clearance".
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Rav4Mike
Thanks everyone for your input. I have just taken it to a different Toyota garage and their opinion is that the clutch has had it, and that the flywheel may need doing as well. Toyota customer relations say that the warranty on that part is extended to 80k, but won't entertain the idea of a goodwill payment since ours has hit 90k. Seems to me that there is an issue with the flywheel design on these earlier models, but we are unlucky that it didn't fail sooner! I'm currently trying to contact the SMMT since I've hit a brick wall with Toyota.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - 659FBE
I'm all in favour of people fighting their corner, but I don't think you're likely to get much redress on a 4 year 90k vehicle. I would suggest a thorough investigation of the Valeo pattern replacement, followed by a careful search for an independent garage competent to fit it for you.

90k is a fair mileage for a clutch on a vehicle of this type and even without failure, you would have been wise to renew the DMF at the same time anyway.

Any joy, Rav4Mike?
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - bell boy
ive nothing to add but all interesting reading and i think excellant feedback from Carrow etc, i would never have known these had a dmf....
still think toymota should have been a bit more helpful mind,probably thats why only hyundai give a 5 year warrenty eh?
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - LeePower
Another dual mass flywheel failure.

Another money making parts spin off.

At least Valeo do a moddification clutch & flywheel kit to combat the problem.
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Ben79
Another dual mass flywheel failure.
Another money making parts spin off.
At least Valeo do a moddification clutch & flywheel kit to combat the problem.

I've had the 4 piece Valeo solid flywheel kit fitted to my Citroen C5 for 37,000 miles now. It's great. The clutch is lighter, more progressive, smoother and of course, was cheaper. I wouldn't buy a car now unless there was a Valeo kit available for the inevitable failure.

My symptoms were just simple clutch slip at just above max torque. The old clutch had perfect friction material and the flywheel hadn't turned blue from overheating. I guess the pressure plate or something just didn't have enough force in the original clutch. It lasted 4 years and 60k.

Ben
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - PAUL.2
Hi mike just read about your toyota flywheel problem it seems a common problem looking on this site and others.
On sunday my rav4 clucth failed and the A.A had to tow me home the A.A man said it was common on rav4 and avensis my rav4 has only done 46.000 miles is it true the warranty has been extened to 80.000 miles.

Thanks Paul.
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - nugsta
Hi Mike,

I have just experienced exactly same scenario with my Avensis 2.0 D4D.

Just wondering did you get anywhere when contacting Toyota about this problem.

I have just been fobbed off by Toyota Cust. Relations as my Y plate car is too old & they are not interested!

Thanks

Nugsta
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - santaman
I am having the same problem getting a clutch replaced but on a Hyundai Santa Fe. The dealership is not playing ball with their 5 year warranty even though they know these DMF's cause problems and as a result they offer a conversion kit to single plate flywheel. They say that the flywheel has to literally break or fall to pieces before a warranty claim can be made. Independants such as Mr Clutch etc are not keen on doing the job and cannot find the correct solution even from Hyundai. I have also heard that other makes such as Renault are having the same problems and in fact any other early 2000 cars using dual mass flywheel.
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Screwloose
santaman

That's a first; a dealer that offers a manufacturer-approved[?] solid flywheel?

If it's not a Hyundai-approved part for that application, make sure that you have it in writing that it is fit for it's purpose on that car and any consequential problems are down to them - not you.
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - uger
did you get any joy with toyota on your problem
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - MrBigfeet
Why do we let Valxx get away with manufacturing an unreliable product?
My dmf has just failed on my Citroen Picasso 1.6hdi. The clutch is not yet worn out. I paid for an extended warranty but they will not pay and say it is normal wear and tear.
Maybe someone should start an action group to tackle manufacturers of these unreliable parts. Too often we accept poor workmanship. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - topbloke
saab and vauhall are in the same boat with dmf's so are ford and am lead to believe that they also do a solid flywheel fix on the transits and that they only fitted the dmf on trannys for the uk market !!!!!!, this is only hearsay with regard to ford
Rav4 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Saltrampen
They have made yet another expensive part a "wear and tear" item. This is a stupid term as most moving parts in an engine suffer wear and tear, the issue is what should be expected to last the life of the car and what should not. Anything with friction surfaces may not last the life of the car (Clutch and brakes) and shocks are sometimes listed as wear and tear items (although argueably shocks last as long as many other suspension components, so are these other items wear and tear?).
The failure is in the design of the DMFs, others on this site have stated that some DMFs contain glued components that will not last the life of the car.
If you have a warranty it must list all the components that it considers wear and tear, if the wording contains dubious statements such as "excludes any other item likely to suffer wear and tear", then don't bother with it.
The only way to make manufacturers listen is to not buy models which are known to have DMF problems.
2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - suei
ive just had the same problem, same model and year as yours,but only done 41kmiles so can you confirm that Toyota have extended the life of the fly wheel plate to 80k miles as i am about to go ahead and get mine fixed, and i would like to get my garage to get in touch with Toyota.
mega snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/08/2008 at 13:14

2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - rav2008
hi i own a 2001 rav 4 2.0 d4dnv had it for 6 weeks and started to notice grinding rattling noise from engine bay and also grinding noise when pulling off or reversing.it finally packed up loosing traction last thursday.called the garage where i paid 5000 for the car and they came and collected it.it has now been diagnosed as mass flywheel failure at a cost of 1200.my 3 month warranty only covers 300 so im left with a bill for 900 of which the garage are as a good will gesture willing to pay 450.so its costing me 450 so by being patient and nice on the phone to the garage where i purchased the car from.the garage even collected the car from my home and it is being delivered back to me on friday.im not happy about the cost but the garage have been most helpful and informed me every step of the way.dont know if im keepingit though its put me off and am thinking of selling it when it returns.thanks andy

Edited by rav2008 on 15/09/2008 at 18:16

2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - JoeMaxi
My Toyoto Rav4 is 2004 with 52,000 on the clock.
Gearbox gone also Flywheel
Toyoto Customer Care told me mine is the only Flywheel they have had trouble with
Now I read the above
Word should get out that every owner of Toyoto Rav4- have the Flywheel checked before Guarantee is out
2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - Kenco222

Any chance of toyota honouring a repair on a 54 plate Avensis with 77k on the clock?

2002 2.0 Diesel Flywheel failure? - rav42002
My car ha

Edited by rav42002 on 09/12/2011 at 03:23