New golf has arrived - first questions! - PoloGirl
Picked up Gunther the new Golf on Thursday, and it's taken me two days to fall in love with it, which was different to the love at first sight that I had with Polo. Hated it at first because it's just so much bigger than Polo and it was taking me twice as long to do every little manouvre but I think I'm getting the hang of it now and the air con is brilliant! It is a really nice car to look at - I'm so glad I went for the Sport 3 dr instead of the stodgy five door SE.

I have some questions, and I have read the manual but it's not the most helpful of things (keeps telling me I can set things via the convenience menu which I don't have because I didn't spec the multi display computer sat nav doodah).

Rain sensing wipers - shouldn't they just work when it rains, even if the lever is in the off position? They don't seem to - do I have to switch them on at the first sign of rain and then leave them to sense how much wiping should be done?

Automatic lights - They come on fine when there's a patch of shade or I drive into a carpark, but they seem to take ages to go off again. Is that normal? Haven't driven him in the dark yet so this is the only experience of the lights I have so far.

Wing mirrors/reversing - apparently the mirrors are meant to tilt down when you put the car into reverse, to allow you to see the kerb. Only the left hand mirror seems to do this, and only if you set the mirror knob to L before engaging reverse. The right hand mirror wont do it at all, even if the knob is in R. Is that right? This is the one that's really confusing me at the moment!

Wing mirrors/adjustment - on Polo, the knob has L, O and R. If in L or R, you adjust the mirrors independently, but if in O you can adjust them both at the same time. The Golf doesn't seem to do this - is there no way of adjusting both mirrors at the same time?

I know the above are just gadgets but it would really help me to understand them! So far the actual driving of the car has been great, although we've only covered 70 miles together so far (and all of them below 2500rpm - doing as I'm told!)

Stereo - how do I mute it so that it goes to a low volume but doesn't switch off. Polo has this but the Golf only seems to have on and off.

Anyone else got a Golf or other newish VW and can help me out please?

(Polo, meanwhile, is in the garage waiting to be sold, because on the day I left him at home to pick up the new car, someone tried to steal his alloys and has messed up one of the wheels and stolen the middle of another...so I'm waiting to make him complete again before selling. Sods law, I believe it's called!)

Thanks!
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Adam {P}
Woah woah woah! When did you get a Golf? I thought you were getting a Fabia?!

My attemt to address some of your questions:

Wipers/Lights - no idea I'm afraid - on my mate's Stilo, theres an off/on and auto position for both.

Wing mirrors - sounds right - you wouldn't need the right wing mirror to see the kerb. The old Scorpio only did the left mirror anyway.

Other wingmirror point - sorry - no idea.

Stereo - again - no idea I'm afraid. Is there no button labelled ATT? My mate has a brand new Golf Sport so I can ring him and ask him if you want. Someone will probably be along imminently to be more use than me though!

Enjoy it!

Adam
Thanks Adam - I have justified it a few times but to explain briefly...

Skoda Fabia vRS: £152 per month including tax for a £12,000 car
1.9 tdi Sport Golf: £156 per month including tax for a £16000+ car due to the sheer amount that our company lease.
It's a four year lease and the fabia was already a four year old model. The golf has more safety features and came with a far better spec overall. Had it been my own money it would have been a tougher decision as the test drive in the Skoda was great fun, but this was a bit of a nobrainer decision once I'd got the quote for the Golf.

I may take you up on the offer of calling your mate if there's anything I get really stuck with! Thanks!
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Avant
The B-class has automatic lights and wipers - the light switch has a special position for automatic, between off and side, and the automatic wipers are instead of the intermittent position - similarly the switch position is between off and slow. If German brains think alike, the VW switches may be the same - worth a try.

The last car I had with a mirror that moved was a Renault Safrane where the left mirror was the only one that moved - I don't think I ever needed the right one to move.

The manuals are maddening aren't they - there are so many options that half the time you don't know whether your car has got the bit it's describing or not. It took me forever to discover that the CD holder in the glovebox of the German taxi is just that, and not a CD-changer. Even if your model is supposed to be at the top of the range, there are still some things it hasn't got.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - borasport20
PG - firstly, let me say that if I was a car, I'd object to being calle Günther - not rational, but hey, naming cars is soooo rational in th first place

On my Golf (octavia) IIRC, you can set the LH mirror independantly, but when you move the RH mirror, both move

p.s. Adam - you have mail. pps -are you getting brassed off with the sound of the motorbikes ?

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Adam {P}
So do you Mike!

And yes. Really annoying me now.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Stuartli
Unless the sequence on the automatic wipers sensing mode has been altered since my 2000 model year Bora, you have to set the wipers stalk to the first position (i.e. intermittent) each time you switch on as it is self-cancelling (at least with my car).

The normal intermittent frequency etc is set by the small control on the wipers stalk as usual if preferred. There are four wipe level intervals (switch to the right, short interval and vice versa). Stalk position two is low wiper, three is wiper fast and flock wipe at four.

Wipe intervals are automatically controlled by the sensor when the interval wipe function is switched on; the small top control is used to alter the rain sensor's sensitivity. As stated earlier automatic mode has to be reset following ignition switch off by leaving and going back to intermittent stalk postion mode after restarting.

Again, you can't alter both mirrors at the same time. In any case this would personally annoy as the left hand mirror requires a different setting for me (due to the driver's seat position) and I'm not interested in looking at the kerb whilst reversing...:-)

In the case of the electric mirrors, O is Off.

However, no doubt there have been improvements since these particular specifications.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New golf has arrived - first questions! - JH
PG
I can't say what it's supposed to do but I agree with Stuatli, on my Passat, wipers only come on if you switch from intermittent (where you left them), to off and back to intermittent, where the rain sensing kicks in. Seems daft to me but...

TVM posted a strange trick whereby both mirrors move together. I tried it on my Passat and it works, but darned if I can work ou the logic. Can't be bothered really as it seems useless, sorry if you disagree. The manual tells you how to do it but in a sort of "as mentioned above", "oh no it doesn't" kind of way, so it's hidden in there somewhere.

JH

Had a look at my Bora manual which states (on a different page to the basic door mirrors operation):

Synchronised mirror adjustment

"Both mirrors must first be moved to the basic position. To do this, first adjust the left then the right mirror individually as described earlier.

"Both mirrors can now be adjusted at the same time by adjusting the left mirror only.

"It might be necessary to return the mirrors to the basic position if the synchronised mirror adjustment function has been used repeatedly."

Automatic setting for reversing.

The manual states that "the right hand door mirror moves automatically to a preset position if the system has been swtiched over to the right hand mirror.

"In this way it is possible to see the kerb when parking. The mirror will return to its original position as soon as the reverse gear is disengaged."

I'm assuming that this information has not be revised for the UK as I recall reading somewhere in the manual that if you turn the door mirrors knob to the left hand position and then go into reverse, it automatically directs the left hand mirror towards the kerb. Never tried it though as it would annoy me just looking at the kerb...:-)
New golf has arrived - first questions! - oldgit
Picked up Gunther the new Golf on Thursday,
I'm so glad I went for the Sport 3 dr instead of the stodgy five door SE.

blooming cheek! I happen to own a new (ish) 'stodgy five door SE' 1.6 Golf MKV and so now that I've been insulted I don't think that I'll bother to answer your questions - well perhaps I will.

Due to a cock-up with ordering and the usual VW dealership inefficiencies, my Golf did not come with those extras to which you allude and I'm glad they didn't; they seem to cause a lot of problems due to occasional over sensitivity of the duty called upon them.

Certainly the wipers, I believe have to be switched to position 1 in order to operate in an automatic sense, the sensitivity being changed by the switch above which can be moved to one of several postions.

I didn't think that auto dipping exterior mirrors (when reversing) had been introduced yet.

With mine and with the mirror control switch turned to the extreme right, both mirrors are adjusted simultaneously but if you then want to independently adjust the passenger's mirror then you move the rotary switch to the extreme left position.

Quite frankly if you want definitive answers to your questions then you couldn't do better than to visit www.mkivs.net (ignore the reference to mkivs as they deal with all models of Golf). When there, go to forums and click on 'MKV(MK 5) Golf and Jetta discussion' and everthing will be explained by mad hatters including myself.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Bill Payer
The wipers thing is so they don't get ripped apart (or burn the motor out) if they're frozen to the screen when you start the car.

I have auto lights on my car and don't use them - I think they have the potential to cause an accident if they come on at just the wrong moment and someone thinks you're flashing them.

The LH dipping mirror is normal.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - kenl

>I have some questions, and I have read the manual but
>it's not the most helpful of things (keeps telling me I
>can set things via the convenience menu which I don't have
>because I didn't spec the multi display computer sat nav doodah).

If you don't have the "highline" computer (big full sized display between speedo & rev counter) you can't do these fancy things. If you ordered the car from the factory it would have been a £45 option.

>Rain sensing wipers - shouldn't they just work when it rains,
>even if the lever is in the off position? They don't
>seem to - do I have to switch them on at
>the first sign of rain and then leave them to sense
>how much wiping should be done?

No, the first wiper position (not OFF) is the rain-sensing position. You also have a sensitivity control. The next two positions are constant speeds.

>Automatic lights - They come on fine when there's a patch
>of shade or I drive into a carpark, but they seem
>to take ages to go off again. Is that normal?

This is normal, better that than then coming on and off too quickly. Remember you can turn the lights completely off or operate manually yourself.

>Wing mirrors/reversing - apparently the mirrors are meant to tilt down
>when you put the car into reverse, to allow you to
>see the kerb. Only the left hand mirror seems to do
>this, and only if you set the mirror knob to L
>before engaging reverse. The right hand mirror wont do it at
>all, even if the knob is in R. Is that right?
>This is the one that's really confusing me at the moment!

You;ve got me confused here. I thought the auto-dipping mirror was dropped. It never in fact made it onto the car, not sure why.

If they have introduced it, only the left one will dip. It is for reverse parallel parking so you can see how close you are to the kerb. The right won't work as you are meant to look over your shoulder on that side, I think.

> Wing mirrors/adjustment - on Polo, the knob has L, O and
>R. If in L or R, you adjust the mirrors independently,
>but if in O you can adjust them both at the
>same time. The Golf doesn't seem to do this - is
>there no way of adjusting both mirrors at the same time?

Yes, in the R position it will adjust both. In L it will only do the left. Set using R and then fine-tune the left using L. The middle position turns on the mirror heaters.

>Stereo - how do I mute it so that it goes
>to a low volume but doesn't switch off. Polo has this
>but the Golf only seems to have on and off.

Turn the volume knob down, that's the only way I think.
>>Turn the volume knob down, that's the only way I think.>>

If you have the Gamma ICE equipment you can set the volume control to the level you wish it to be in normal use and use the GALA feature in the Set-Up menu to adjust the volume in proportion to the road speed.

Again, by using the ONVOL feature, you can override the default last setting for volume on switch-on to the level you prefer; TAVOL can be used to set the volume level for traffic information reports.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - DP
My old 306 had its AUTO setting on the wipers in place of intermittent! Never before have I hated a "gadget" on a car so much.

Flick wipe got a lot of use.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - daveyjp
If you leave the wiper stalk on intermittent it won't activate if it's raining and you start the car. If you leave it long enough it will activate eventually - I've left it on inadvertantly a few times and when they do start it startles you.

In my view they are great. On motorways when it's rained heavily, then stopped but spray is still an issue the wipers have a long time between sweeps when traffic is quiet, but go to overtake a wagon kicking out gallons of spray and they go to full speed at the blink of an eye.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Rudedog
The left hand mirror, according to the latest 2006 catalogue should 'look' downwards when you engage reverse, this is a 'new' standard feature.
The auto-dipping mirrors (anti-dazzle) used to be on both passenger and drivers door as an extra. But from mid 2006 this was changed, and was only applied to the drivers door and it is activated in conjunction with the auto-dipping interior mirror (if that's in the spec you have)
I ordered my GT in March 2006 and received it in May and although I had asked for the 'basic' folding mirrors to be fitted I have noticed that I have also been given the auto-dipping mirror on the drivers side my mistake.
The other features work as described above.
Thank you all!

Yes - got there in the end. Discovered last night that the left hand mirror dips when you go into reverse, while the right hand one dips when the auto dimming rear view mirror springs into life. I also discovered the little lights in the wing mirrors so that you don't land in any puddles when you get out of the car in the dark. I've even sorted the wipers out and figured out how to change both mirrors at once (whoever said you then need to fine tune the left one, you are right).

I think I might be just a little bit in love with Gunther now :)

New golf has arrived - first questions! - Dynamic Dave
I also discovered the little lights in the wing mirrors....

Hasn't VW started fitting the mirrors to the doors yet like other manufacturers did several years ago ;o)
Thank you all!
Yes - got there in the end. Discovered last night that
the left hand mirror dips when you go into reverse, while
the right hand one dips when the auto dimming rear view
mirror springs into life. I also discovered the little lights in
the wing mirrors so that you don't land in any puddles
when you get out of the car in the dark. I've
even sorted the wipers out and figured out how to change
both mirrors at once (whoever said you then need to fine
tune the left one, you are right).

When you say dip, do you mean the mirror changes angle and points down to the ground?
If that is what you mean, I cannot see the relevance of it only doing this when your auto-dimming (stops car lights blinding you at night) rear view mirror is in operation!!!
New golf has arrived - first questions! - JohnM{P}
Glad you're getting there. 15 months and 44k miles later, I'm still well pleased with my 105TDi SE (any jokes along the lines that it should be called 'Grunter' will show someone hasn't actually lived with one!). Kenl and Daveyjp' posts mirror my experience.

As you have the wing-mirror puddle lights, I assume (even with the constant spec fiddling) that you have the 'see you home' lighting; if, having locked the car, you want to turn the lights off immediately, unlock and relock the car (saves the 'Hey, mate, you've left your lights on' when parking at the supermarket...)

Also, the sunvisors, when swivelled to the side, can be slid out to extend along the door (that is hidden in the manual, though I missed it on initial reading).

Enjoy!
JohnM
The left hand mirror, according to the latest 2006 catalogue should
'look' downwards when you engage reverse, this is a 'new' standard
feature.

The manual for my 2004 mkV Golf says it should do this but it can't. People on the uk-mkIV forum asked dealers if it could be enabled but were told it couldn't.

I'm glad to see that this is now provided on the car, a very useful feature for parking to avoid alloy damage - I usually do it manually when parking.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - cheddar
An auto dipping when in reverse left hand mirror is useless when parking where there are no kerbs though instead other cars, a lampost, a shopping trolley, a wastbin, a wall etc etc, i.e. a feature with rather dubious value.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - caesar
feature with rather dubious value

What rubbish.

Its a feature that doesnt have to be activated unless you move the mirror control in to the left position before engaging reverse.But if like me you park 70% of the time near a kerb then it comes in very handy as i always lower my mirror for parking.
So car park Dont activate,Kerb parking do activate,thats good in my book.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - DP
Any gadget is fine with me as long as it can be switched off or disabled.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - cheddar
feature with rather dubious value
What rubbish.
Its a feature that doesnt have to be activated unless you
move the mirror control in to the left position before engaging
reverse.But if like me you park 70% of the time near
a kerb then it comes in very handy as i always
lower my mirror for parking.
So car park Dont activate,Kerb parking do activate,thats good in my
book.

Fair enough, my basic point is that it a farly obscure feature that would be well down the list of priorities for me.
>>a farly obscure feature that would be well down the list of priorities for me>>

I'm with you on this one.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Dipstick
If you don't have this wing mirror dipping in reverse malarkey but would like it, there may be a way around it.

If your car has a seat position memory that also moves the mirrors, you're in business.

Set seat position 1 as you normally would for driving. Then adjust the mirror(s) downwards. Don't move the seat, but just program ytour current settings into seat memory postion 2.

Now all you do is flip between those two seat memories when reversing and the mirror(s) will dip.

Useless if you actually want to use two different seat postions because you have two regular drivers of course, although even then some cars have more than two seat memories so you can use position three or four for this.

Just a thought.
All this complexity is fine until it goes wrong and imagine what the future owner of your car will find when say, in ten years time he/she buys a car where these things have started to give trouble.

I think we all like these luxuries in our new cars but, personally, I'm glad that I can pass it on to someone else to experience these problems of failure when they inevitably develop in years to come.

My new Golf has some of these gizmos but thankfully did not get the auto lights and auto wipers as I'd expected when I had placed my order. VW are always changing there specs. and confusing both customer and dealer.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - commerdriver
I think we all like these luxuries in our new cars
but, personally, I'm glad that I can pass it on to
someone else to experience these problems of failure when they inevitably
develop in years to come.

totally agree with that one, most of today's cars will eventuallly get scrapped when the technoloogy is too expensive to repair, not when anything mechanical or structural wears out.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Rudedog
Oldgit, I hope you got a good reduction in the price you were paying if these items were missing when your car was delivered, because they only come as an optional extra or on the higher spec Golfs.
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Altea Ego
VW have been changing specs so frequentley ( on silly little features) that the dealers dont know whats happening.

I know of one Touran where the dealer tried twice to fix a feature that it turns out had been deleted from the build spec.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
It's very complicated and over 18 months ago now and my memory has faded somewhat. Suffice it to say that at the time of ordering, the multifunctional computer, that I wanted, was an optional extra at some £125 and so the items, that I assumed were going to be part of the SE pack (then Oct 2004), were removed, during the period I was waiting for delivery, and became part of what was called a "Convenience Pack". At the very same time, the computer became standard fit but in other respects I wasn't offered any rebate.

Of course, by the time I'd found out this information, it was too late to change my order and have the convenience pack, without causing massive delays which I could not entertain, for reasons I won't go into here.

So eventually just before Christmas 2004 in December, my car was delivered minus Auto headights, Self-dimming interior mirror and Auto Wipers and one or two other things, I think. As I said, in retrospect, I'm somewhat glad that I did not have some of these as they can prove to be a bit of a pain in the neck - at least I had the computer.

The trouble is that VW or VAG in general (and there may be other makes) keep messing around with their specifications, which I supposed they're entitled so to do, except that it does leave the customer somewhat confused as to what they are actually going to end up with. Additionally, my dealer, in retrospect did not seem to bother to keep me informed at any stage during the 10 weeks and it was myself and the internet which discovered these inconsistencies and changes, and newer brochures were equally in error with their information.

However, all that aside, I have got an excellent car which really surpasses anything that I have previously owned in terms of perceived quality and sheer joy of driving and with excellent economy into the bargain getting consistently over 40mpg with 98RON petrol from the 1.6FSI engine.

New golf has arrived - first questions! - SjB {P}
If you don't have this wing mirror dipping in reverse malarkey
but would like it, there may be a way around
it.
If your car has a seat position memory that also moves
the mirrors, you're in business. etc...

Exactly what I posted in another thread a week or two back, and exactly what I've done with my V70 for the past three years!
New golf has arrived - first questions! - Dipstick
Jolly good.
>>unless you move the mirror control in to the left position before engaging reverse>>

It must be quite a recent feature.