track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - madmonty
Hi,

I have a 1996 306 and the track rod end need changed.
I have the parts, I can release it from the hub but darned if I can get the end off the rod!!! Seized solid!!!

I thought this was gonna be an easy Sunday job but I have put it back together again until I find a better solution for removal of the end.

Any thoughts on how to release this bear in mind I am working in the arch and don't have much room?

Ta
M
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - piston power
sorry but do you mean you can't get it off the steering rack? or you can't remove from the suspension leg/hub??
I have the balljoint end free from the wheel but still attached to the rod going to the rack. I should be able to unscrew the end from the rod and replace but is stuck solid probably from 10 years of heat, cold, dust, dirt n rust!

I have 2 of these to do! :o(
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - spikeyhead {p}
you need a big pair of stilsons to hold the track rod. You may need someone else to hold onto these whilst you heave on teh spanner on the track rod end.

A little lubrication goes a lonw way here. take a wire brush to the exposed thread to remove any rust and grime and give it a thourough soak in some easing & penetrating oil. If you've not got plusgas to hand then wd40 does half a job. Give it time to soak in. Unless you've got a big spanner, pout a scaffold pipe on the end of it for extra leverage.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - bell boy
one of those heat guns gordon ramsey uses to do brulee"s will help as you waft it over the track rod as this will expand and help to undo it ,may take a while if they have never been off before so take your time....
Thanks guys.

I will try all of the above with a friend!

really looking forward to attacking the underside of the car with a flame!!!
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - Cliff Pope
Have you got the locknut free? Are you turning in the right direction - opposite sides are usually handed left/right.
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - Crinkly Dave
There was a thread on here a year or so ago on how to do this, as I had the same problem.

In summary, if all fails, and you don't want to damage the rack with too much heat, I found that grinding the trackrod end parallel to its length, until the thread was just exposed worked quite well, but it takes a gentle touch.
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - Simon
Like the advice given above, firstly clean up the threads on the track rod with a wire brush until you have a nice 'clean' thread. Work out which way the thread goes, it could be either clockwise or counter clockwise depending on which side you are working on. Then undo the lock nut before releasing the balljoint from the hub. This will hold the track rod fairly steady whilst undoing the locknut, It may take some force but it will go. Once you have relased the lock nut you can release the ball joint and by holding the track rod with some mole grips you should be able to unscrew the track rod end off the track rod. Make sure that you mark the position of the track rod so that you can wind the new track rod end on to exactly the same position as the original one. It is usual practice to count the number of turns it takes to wind the old one off and then wind the new one on by the same amount. This way it minimises any chance of letting the tracking go way out of alignment.
track rod end removal pug 306 1.9 DTS - spikeyhead {p}
good point about the tracking, get it properly cheked once you've changed the track rod ends.

If you've got an extendanble broom handle, washing line prop or similar then you can get very close to setting the tracking by using this.
--
I read often, only post occasionally