Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Surrey_Scientist
I am contemplating selling my car onEbay

I have never sold on Ebay before so was hoping if people could fill me in with a few tips and hints first please.

I am intending to be selling for £6995, so primarily interested in safe/secure methods of taking payment, bidding, and viewing etc. with this large value at stake.

I would be intending to do a "Buy it Now" and see how that goes - There also the additonal "next best offer" I notice you can add.

Or is it best to do an auction with a reserve set very close to my desired selling price.

Do people generally view the car in person and then make a bid or is it just bid and then pay ?

Is it sensible to insisit on a deposit via PayPal of say £250 or £500 within 24hrs to secue the car.

Can I make this "non-refundable" to deter time-wasters, or will this deter anyone from buying ?

What is the most secure method of taking payment for the whole car ?

Obviously cash is best - but then forged money could be handed over ?

Are there any scams involved with Bankers Drafts - I know people say these "like cash" but how does one verify they are OK ?

With cheques even if they clear, I understand it is not unknown for the money to be debited back if something later is discovered to be dodgy.

Do people experience people who will bid and then when they win, will try to bargain down the price when they come to collectthe car , as I am sure they could try that on.

Would be very pleased if people could tell me their experiences, good or bad and pass on any words of wisdom, before I start !

I may just end up using autotrader, the old fashionned way !
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - BobbyG
If you have never bought or sold on ebay before, you won't have a feedback rating so you may find that it is prospective buyers who will be more wary of you rather than vice versa!
I have bought a few items, but not sold... so do have some feedback (sory if that wasn;t clear !)
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - bell boy
wrong time of year to sell a bread/butter car,but you didnt say the make anyway.?..........
why not dip your foot in with autotrader first as for many people a car purchase is a distress purchase and your car may just fill their needs in time (see focus thread this week person moving house etc and had to have a car by yesterday)
it is a Mazda6 Estate, 2.0i auto.
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - bell boy
most autotraders either have an auto section or an underlined "auto" advert bit ,see if the advert is cheap for your area and have a paddle...........make sure the picture is taken from the side, that all the wheeltrims are on, that you have thrown a bucket of water on it and you say as much as possible without any negatives and dont offer to take the car to any prospective punters no matter how much they plead...........
no idea with ebay im afraid as i get tired of reading about messers on there ,at least if someone genuinely comes to look at your car you can asses his buyability at this stage and decide your actions.....
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - local yokel
Is it really worth that price (I've no idea, just posing the Q)? It won't sell otherwise. How much/soon do you need the money - Ebay suits people who need the deal as much as they need the cash. If you can afford to wait, then Ebay might not be for you.

If it's a sought after car, then let it find it's own value. Reserve it at £750/15% less than your asking price, and let the market do its job.

Does it have any issues? If it's in showrom condition, with low to average mileage, then fine - if not then expect the market to value it accordingly.

Take at least eight pictures, showing all the features, panel, seats, and be honest about any damage, scratches or issues. Write it up well, and not all in block caps. Link to the guides eg Parkers, HJ, that are complimentary about the model.
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - midlifecrisis
I've bought and sold on e-bay. Simple tip, be honest. E-bay is a great way to sell. You have virtually unlimited space and numerous photos to get your message across. Just be honest and list any fault, including any dents or scratches. Emphasise service history and mention receipts if you've got them.

Tke pictures of each side of the car and the interior. I asked for a 10% deposit and balance within seven days. I never did a 'buy it now'. I started £500 below the reserve and got more than I wanted.
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Nsar
I've sold twice in the last few months, but both times for less than £2k so read my advice with that in mind. I think it's miles better than a trad ad because you don't have tyre kickers and worse still no-show tyre kickers.

The being honest advice is good but make sure it's clear that you've been honest and you get "credit" for it by being unambiguous that if the bidder hasn't asked to see the car before bidding that's what they'll pay, not turn up and start haggling over a tiny scratch.

Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Vin {P}
Take dozens of photos using a digital camera of your clean car in a decent location on a sunny day. They are your showcase and worth an hour or two's effort, as they will pay the effort back tenfold.

Dozens: Take three or four from each angle; side on, front on, back on, all four quarters. Use different exposure settings if your camera will allow it. Take from different heights. Turn your car around between shots. Then, when you get back, choose the best for each viewpoint. Turn the steering between takes so that the wheels are at a slight angle and the tread doesn't show; thus, rear quarter on the offside, you'll have the steering turned right. Same side, front quarter, it'll be turned left. This will make the photos look more attractive. It's the way manufacturers take photos - just take a look at a manufacturer's site and you'll get what I mean. Take photos of any damage or scratches that are worthy of mention in your description. Use a tripod if you have one, as the improvement in sharpness is always obvious.

Clean car: should be obvious, but you see dusty cars on ebay all the time. Wash it. Polish it if you can. If not, at least choose a wash cycle at your car wash that waxes the car. Clean the windows on the inside.

Decent location. There should be somewhere within ten minutes of where you live that will allow you to photograph the car with a pleasant background - I have the New Forest, but a park car park with trees in the background will do. If you don't have a spot withing ten minutes, consider a half hour drive. Angle the car so there aren't dustbins/other cars/houses/brick walls in view. Look on ebay for five minutes ti see exactly where not to photograph it.

Sunny day. It's worth waiting for the sun. Your photos will look far far better.

For the description, put in everything you can think of, in clear, structured sections. Under history, would you rather buy a car that says "FSH", or one that lists mileages and work done service by service? Be honest: If there are any bumps or scratches over and above minor wear and tear, mention them; otherwise your buyer has a clear get out at collection time. You might want to download Turbo Lister - it's somewhere on the ebay site, and is a bit of software that allows you to lay out your advert very simply and attractively while offline. You can choose f********s and styles for headings, etc that help you to stand out a little.

I've always started items VERY low - my view is that they will get to the same price, but you'll have a dozen bidders with at least an interest in the car. I suspect it's a matter of personal opinion.

Finally, reply to all and any emails you get from anyone in Nigeria, feigning interest and stringing them along for as long as possible. The longer they are spending wasting time with you, the less time they have to be ripping off the gullible.

Good luck,

V
I fail to see why the swear filter would pick up "f o n t s i z e s"!

Or is this a new thing I should be shouting out of my window when enraged by bad driving?

V
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Pugugly {P}
"f o n t s i z e s"! Yes but only if you use bold italic.

Sold two vehicles on E-Bay of late. One was for cash - buy a anti fraud pen from Smiths. I had £1800 in Scottish £50s check all the notes not just the top ones. I also had the buyers photo'd. The second bike sold for a lot less than that, the guy sent me a cheque which was banked and waited to clear (he was away on his hols) which also worked perfectly.

All froms of payment are risky, but that's true for any private sale.

Check out the feedback of any "winner", yes I know it can be fiddled but sometimes that's easy to spot.
"buy a anti fraud pen from Smiths."

But be aware that a good dose of hairspray on a forged note will render this useless.

In terms of being paid, by far the best solution is money given to you in your bank. Hand it over and get the bank to count it into your account..

Alternatively, find out what bank/building society they are drawing against and go with them to collect a bankers draft.

Try a forum search on "selling a car" on here and you'll find dozens of options.

V
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Dynamic Dave
I fail to see why the swear filter would pick up "f o n t s i z e s"!

That word was added to the swearfilter in an attempt to stop people using the HTML code to increase their wording to ludicrous sizes.

DD.
DD, regardless of the reason, It's now irrevocably added to my list of swear words. If you cut up a black Jag S-type and get that shouted at you, you'll know why.

V
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - martinh
This is a pretty desirable car. IMO it should sell readily from Auto Trader. People shoppig for cars on eBay are looking for knockdown bargains, not the sort of customer you want.
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - A2B
Just out of interest can you tell me if it is the AWD and how much your looking for?

Thanks

It is NOT the AWD, just a 2.0i TS estate automatic.

Haven't decided on price, want to consult some guides.

It is 2003, 63,000 Miles, just been serviced.

What would you offer :-)
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - F1driver
Why not sell the car on the classified section of this site...I am sure someone will spot it...sounds like a good deal what year is it.. blow me I just brought a car slightly more expensive than you quoted!!
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - JamesH

Any problems with your advert or sale, don't expect any help from eBay themselves. Just expect the email equivalent of a shoulder shrug in reply.

I listed a BMW 3 Series last week. Under the item specifics, I could put BMW 3 Series (as well as other details), so that when people search for 'BMW' and '3 Series' using the Cars Finder drop-downs, mine would come up. Since about Friday, when you list or revise an item, you can't put '3 Series' anymore, only the three-digit model number. So when you search for a 3 Series, only cars listed or revised before Friday come up. Give it another week and nothing will come up at all.

End result: buyers can't find cars, sellers don't sell cars as people can't find them, eBay don't get their cut of the sale fee, i.e. bad all round.

My suggestion: fix it (seems sensible to me)

Their response: They can't accept suggestions from members of the public so won't fix it. They say people can find my car if they don't use the Cars Finder.

Actually though, eBay can be useful for gauging interest and whether the price is reasonable. My car is now listed close to Glass's part-ex price. I have had sight-unseen offers via eBay of 10% to 20% below this, so if a seller is really desperate the car could go, just not for good money.

Vin's advice above is all good, but the only thing I would do differently is not start the item very low. I have personally listed with Buy-it-Now and Best Offer, so it acts like an traditional private car sale. In your case, you could have BIN at £6,995 and this might tell buyers that you probably expect to receive something in the region of low sixes. Although you will get very low offers, these can be declined and effectively set a minimum price. However, high 5s are a more likely eBay sale price.

On the other hand, if you have, say, a £3,000 start and no reserve, there is a (small) risk it could go for £3k! But it will definitely be sold at the end of the auction. Would you be happy to let it go for, say, £5,500 if that's what the final bid was? With a very low start, most of the early bids and enquiries would be from people who aren't willing to pay your intended price, wasting your time and theirs.

I would not bother doing the above but with a reserve. Reserve auctions never seem to do well while a car is below reserve, putting many bidders off who think the reserve is likely to be too high. As with a traditional auction, buyers like to know a car is 'on sale' and that their bid (if not outbid) will buy the car.

If you really want an auction format and definitely want the car to sell, put the start price at the minimum you would accept (or maybe slightly higher, if you would consider an off-eBay haggle, not strictly allowed but happens a lot and I have bought this way before).

James
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Mookfish
If you do decide to sell it on eBay, DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL.

Because if the buyer is disshonest they could make a claim through paypal and retrieve their money, as paypal policy is that sellers must be able to provide proof of delivery by a trackable method. If the buyer trys to claim they will automaticaly get their money back as you won't be sending a car by recorded delivery.
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Mike-H
I have just sold a cheapy on eBay, and my son sold his Tigra last month, but the point is, it is very, very cheap advertising. If you put in the listing something like " advertised elsewhere, I reserve the right to close this auction early" then you can take enquiries and cancel the auction early if it either does not look like making it's money, or you sell privately to someone who saw it on eBay or any where else. This is so common now, that eBay are creating a classified ads section! Warning. Don't let eBay get wind that you are trying to sell it out of eBay or they will cancel your listing. When you answer 'ask the seller a question' enquiries, they are closely monitored for clues as to your intention, get your 'victim to phone. Mike
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Grenache
I almost bought a 2-yr old Mazda 6 from eBay a few months ago, and I bid without seeing it. The seller was a leasing co, so this was an ex-company car.

I lost by £50, but went on to buy one from a Mazda dealer (also without seeing it, as it was over 200 miles away). I'm happy to say I like the car & don't regret buying without seeing. Even from this dealer, the car was almost £1000 cheaper than my local dealer wanted for the same age & mileage.
Well I have taken the plunge.........

Lets see how it goes !

Ebay Item no. 110018495246 if you are interested in the car.

Mazda6 Estate 2.0i TS Auto, 63,500 miles £6995

Also listed inclassifieds
Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Kelly Smith

Selling Car on eBay is a good choice. You can be confused about selling your car on eBay. You should follow proper strategy to sell your car on eBay.

Edited by Avant on 10/05/2014 at 17:51

Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - KB.

This wouldn't be an extremely thinly disguised advert would it?

Scraping the barrel somewhat - the thread goes back to 2006.

You must need the business I guess.

Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - Avant

If it was, it's just failed!

Selling on Ebay - Tips/cautions Please! - jgrahampo

gumtree is much better imho