Ford Focus Diagnostic Codes - BobC
The engine warning light on my wife's 2003MY 1.6 Focus has come on today for the first time, I think it is possible to get the fault code displayed on the instrument panel by starting the engine with the trip reset pressed, but I don't know the precise procedure. I would very much appreciate some advice from BR's, on displaying and deciphering fault codes. Also, is it possible to reset the warning light without a plug-in tool once the problem has been rectified?
Ford Focus Diagnostic Codes - Adam {P}
Hi Bob,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=27...0

That any good for you?

Re the warning light - no idea if it's the case on Fords but on a lot of cars, with no faults, the warning light will go out after a certain mumber of engine switch ons.
AND (sorry to reply so much) if you post the code up here, someone will be able to find it out dead easily. Putting dTC (xxxx) into Google will probably yield results too.
Adam,

Thanks for the link to your earlier post - one thing I was worried about was how to revert to the normal odometer function - I will try doing it tomorrow.
Ford Focus Diagnostic Codes - Dynamic Dave
I was worried about was how to revert to the normal odometer function

Just switch off the ignition. Next time you turn it back on, it reverts to normal again.
The display flashes up alternating "dtc" and "none" - so not much help. Is the result likely to be different if I take it to a garage with diagnostic tools and does it need to be a Ford dealer?

Is it possible to clear it and see if it reoccurs?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Ford Focus Diagnostic Codes - mfarrow
The display flashes up alternating "dtc" and "none" - so not
much help. Is the result likely to be different if
I take it to a garage with diagnostic tools and does
it need to be a Ford dealer?

Yes, probably not.

We tried this on a friend's dad's Mondeo a month or so ago after the dashboard turned into Blackpool Illuminations and the engine went limping home, but no code was stored. Turns out some faults are not recorded in the dash and so you'll have to get it read by a Ford dealer or good independant.

--------------
Mike Farrow
If it's saying "none" then it is cleared.

I'm afraid now is just about where my limited knowledge ends. I couldn't recommend taking it to a dealer but only because I've had horrendous experiences and they'll charge you a fair bit just to read the fault. However, the engine light is on and you have no idea why so unless you know a good backstreet place with the ability to read them, looks like you probably will have to go to Ford.

Of course, this place is packed full of people who know tons more than me so you might get an answer without having to take it to Ford. Is the car running rough at all? Coil packs aren't meant to last very long on Focuses and whilst it didn't light up when mine went, I think they're meant to. Other than that, sorry - I've no other ideas.

Very best of luck sorting it out though.

Adam.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

The engine management light came on mid-journey and I'm not aware of anything actually being wrong with the car.

I'm tempted to buy a hand-held code reader on the basis that it may be useful in future (I also have a 2005 Mondeo TDCi), but don't know which of the more reasonably priced units will identify codes for all engine and emission faults for these vehicles - any suggestions?