seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - ajsdoc
Have developed a noise from rear of car - on peering into look at the brakes have noticed one completely worn down whilst other looks new. Is this uneven wear likely to be due to a seized caliper and does anyone know if it's a big job to fix.

I'd also be interested to know whether this is likely to be covered under a manufacturer warranty or likely to be fair wear and tear - the warranty document (as always) is somewhat unclear. Have had car for 4 months and it's done 19,000 miles and is just over 3 years old (has 1 year Honda extended warranty). It's going to the main dealers tomorrow and I'm interested to know the likely problem.

Regards and thanks in advance
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Civic8
Really depends on warranty wording,but does sound like caliper problem,wear and tear items are pads/discs, caliper isnt that I`m aware of,and should be covered by warranty ?
--
Steve
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - bell boy
i would play it by ear but agree with steve.o,you could argue that pads wore because the warranted brake calipor seized if they got stroppy ,however you have only had it 4 months and from what i read about honda dealers on here you should have no worries...
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Collos25
If a caliper seizes it will stop wearing the pads surely.The side thats like new could be the siezed side.
Well back from garage already - rear pads replaced cost £105. Say was a seized caliper but would not be covered by Hondacare warranty (as car done so many miles - 20,000!). Asked them to raise a claim anyway and see what happens.

Will probably have to take it on the chin though!
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Number_Cruncher
If a caliper seizes it will stop wearing the pads
surely.The side thats like new could be the siezed side.

Usually, it is exactly the opposite. It is unusual for calipers to sieze up completely and solidly. They tend to become stiff. In this state, the huge hydraulic pressure from the braking system can still apply the brake, but the only "return spring" action is from the deformation of the rubber seal, and this is easily beaten by a stiff siezing piston. So, a siezed caliper will likely apply the brake (albeit with reduced efficiency), but will not release, and hence the pad wears signifcantly.

It is worth mentioning that on single piston calipers, both the piston and the caliper slides need to be working freely.

Number_Cruncher
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Collos25
Only being pedantic siezed in my book means does not move ,better word would be sticking.
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Saltrampen
Is there any damage to the rubber piston or the caliper slide seals?
Is there any problem with the handbrake cable and the cable rubber boots?

If the above items are fault free and there is nothing wrong with the brake fluid, then surely it must be manufacturing fault (and therefore covered by warranty) . What about the law which says if a fault it found in a car within 6 months it must of been there at the time of purchase? (Age and wear and tear taken into consideration). I am sure most mechanics would say that if the seals are kept intact and the fluid changed according to the service schedule, then a set of calipers should last at least 5 years.

Unless they can find a fault or damage which caused the piston to stick or fail , then perhaps you should push for a warranty claim.

As I recall as the pads wear down, the piston sticks more out from the bore and so any slight inaccuracies in the bore diameter would be noticed even more (more chance of sticking) ...

Anyway if the brake system is taken apart, there is a very good chance you will see what caused the problem. If Honda do not offer to replace the parts, then ask for the old caliper parts so they can be checked by another mechanic, if you wish to pursue the claim.

I'm not sure what they did to the caliper - it certainly wasn't replaced. I doubt that it was serviced either - only on the ramps 30 mins at most. Just told they "freed it up". Will this be OK?
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - robcars
Time will tell but doesnt sound promising imo
seized caliper (Honda Accord Tourer) - Saltrampen
(been away sorry for delay)
Sounds exactly like I was told when I had a Toyota, when a new pad was put in place - it was OK, no seizing.
After 2 years problem re-appeared, so I stripped the caliper down myself and found a very thin tear at the base of the piston seal. When a new pad was in pace the rubber seal was pushed down so tight it was difficult for road spray to get into the piston. The dealer had inspected it in the past, but it was such a small rip (3mm) it was only noticeable at full stretch with the caliper taken off the car ( 1hour +)
Once the pads were worn, the top of the piston got rusty and would seize slightly.

Anyway it is better to get a mechanic to look at it now (should not cost much just to look) to confirm that when the piston is out as far as it can safely go that there are no rips or tears in the piston seals or the caliper guide boots / seals. If it is ripped, it is not too expensive to repair. If it isn't then check on a daily basis that one brake is not hotter than its opposite.

- S.