At a loss for words - smoke
Drove 600 odd miles today from Scotland down to England and saw some "fascinating" driving, including swerving in and out of traffic at high speeds as in computer games and tailgating like no tomorrow.
Something that was new to me was the use by some drivers of the hard shoulder in traffic jams. Individuals speed down the hard shoulder with both hazards blazing or just one indicator on, and exit at the next junction instead of waiting for the queue. The final thing i saw today was a man driving at 50 down the A40 on a rim. He only stopped when sparks were coming off the back and a few driviers blocked him into the hard shoulder.
I am truly amazed as well as utterly shattered,
At a loss for words - grafen
And we all wonder why the authorities are placing more & more restrictions on the motorist...
At a loss for words - artful dodger {P}
Reminds me of another motorist who used to park near my house and go to work with a neighbour. I saw his rear offside tyre was very soft one day (probably on 10psi), it was still soft the next day and I told him of the problem. He noted it and then drove home, it was still soft the following day. Finally it was correctly inflated the following week.

I do not know how he did not feel the problem with the handling of his car, or why he took so long to fix it.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
At a loss for words - Mookfish
I do not know how he did not feel the problem
with the handling of his car, or why he took so
long to fix it.

Probably took him that long to find a petrol station with a working airline, doesn't sound like the sort to own a compressor or even a footpump.
>>doesn't sound like the sort to own a compressor or even a footpump.

I offered him the use of my foot pump!!

--
Roger
At a loss for words - Lud
People don't know why tyres have to be correctly inflated. You tell them and it goes in one ear and out of the other. They don't associate properly inflated tyres with grip or handling ... Doh... What they?

They recognise though that the car rides more comfortably over potholes and so on with only 10 or 15 psi in the tyres. I used to toot at people and point to the deflated wheel, but I don't usually bother now. There's probably no oil in the engine either.
At a loss for words - Pugugly {P}
Never tried pumping up a modern car tyre with a footpump but I guess it would be rather hard - (the effor not the tyre !)
At a loss for words - NowWheels
This reminds me: the air pumps at the garages near me all manage a remarkable variety of types of useless and/or horrible, so I have been wondering about getting one of those 12v things wots plugs into the cigarette lighter. Does anyone know a good source for them?
At a loss for words - smoke
Must be silly season. Today watched a primera and a mondeo playing stupid people down A 413 near Gerrards Cross. Mondeo races up behind primera which is in the right hand lane. Mondeo pulls into the left lane to undertake, does so, and swerves in front of primera. Primera man doesn't like this and they proceed to tailgate eachother and swerve round eachother down the dual carriage way at high speeds. The Primera driver eventally loses it (control of the car as well as his very short temper), and ends up spinning into the central reserve grass the Mondeo then speeds off into the distance. So lucky that the Primera did not destroy anyone else in the process.

At a loss for words - Martin Devon
Must be silly season. Today watched a primera and a mondeo
playing stupid people down A 413 near Gerrards Cross.

Anywhere near the French Horn? used to love that place when I were a lad.

vbr............................................md
At a loss for words - bell boy
wife put 45 psi in her tyres at the garage the other month this was after begging her to bring car to me sat morning to check them for her.
its a rare car these days with proper pressures in (apart from mine obviously) and i dont flash or wave or tell people anymore as it should be on their weekly "POWER" check.
At a loss for words - Group B
so I have been wondering about getting one of those 12v
things wots plugs into the cigarette lighter. Does anyone know
a good source for them?

I recently got a heavy duty one on ebay, a catalogue return item which is in perfect working order, not a mark on it. Including postage, saved about £10 over the Argos price.
At a loss for words - BazzaBear {P}
This reminds me: the air pumps at the garages near me
all manage a remarkable variety of types of useless and/or horrible,
so I have been wondering about getting one of those 12v
things wots plugs into the cigarette lighter. Does anyone know
a good source for them?

While they do the job, I found that they take a age, and make an infernal racket while doing it. The pressure guages on them tend to be somewhat inaccurate too.
I eventually got fed up with mine and went back to a dual cylinder foot-pump. If you get a decent quality one (there are reviews on auto express website) they're not much effort, and the one I've got averages about two pumps per psi, so nice and quick too.
While they do the job, I found that they take a
age, and make an infernal racket while doing it. The pressure
guages on them tend to be somewhat inaccurate too.

I'm sure there are cheap ones available which are hopeless. Mine claims to fill from 0-30 psi in 5 mins. and is not very noisy. Inflating from 25 to 38psi only takes seconds. The only problem I've found with it is that despite having rubber feet, it vibrates quite strongly and wanders all over the place. I have a trusty PCL guage as a backup to check pressure.
>>Never tried pumping up a modern car tyre with a footpump

It does not take too long if you use a twin barrel pump, plus its good exercise. If you carry the pump in the car, the bonus is you can add extra air at any time or place (within reason).

>>been wondering about getting one of those 12v things wots plugs into the cigarette lighter

Bought a cheap one recently (£6) - worse than useless. My cigarette lighter only works when the engine is running and the pump is only small capacity and took 3 times longer to inflate than with a foot pump. Not recommended.

--
Roger
At a loss for words - paulb {P}
Does anyone know
a good source for them?

I have one from Halfords, and a separate dial pressure gauge (the gauge on the compressor is uselessly inaccurate). Yes, it makes a racket and takes a little while but it is still quicker and less hassle than going to my nearest filling station (Sainsbury's) in which people going into the shop use the air-line bay as parking, despite a 400-space car park next to it, and because I carry it around in the car it has the added advantage that I can check my tyre pressures anywhere I go. Would recommend.
At a loss for words - madf
"Does anyone know
a good source for them?"

I bought a Michelin twin cylinder one from Halfords (good test results from Auto Express)
Super accurate guage and easy to use... even my 23 year old son uses it... so it must be good. Very stable...
madf
At a loss for words - nick
>> I bought a Michelin twin cylinder one from Halfords

I'll second that. After three cheapies which didn't last 5 minutes, the Michelin one is excellent.
At a loss for words - Andrew-T
"Never tried pumping up a modern car tyre with a footpump"

Then you should, PU. The footpump in my garage still works well after 30+ years (though I have to fix it occasionally to make it stay attached while I pump) and I only rarely (i.e. in emergency) have to use a garage air-line. The last time I did that was in NZ last year when I got a puncture in a hire car .

Oh, and it takes about 15 strokes to add 1psi to 'a modern car tyre'. Not excessively energetic, IMO.
so from 10psi to 30psi that's like 300 strokes. I wouldn't be able to drive after that.
.....and by the time I could the tyre would be flat again.
At a loss for words - bell boy
er thats called a puncture not a leak ;)
a pair of puncutred lungs as well. Thank the lord for run flat tyres !
At a loss for words - oldgit
a pair of puncutred lungs as well. Thank the lord
for run flat tyres !

Here's a little conundrum concerning Runflats on a car which doesn't have any spare (as a consequence).

You own, say, a new BMW series 1 with these tyres, which, I believe, if punctured, one can run on them for, say, 50 or 90 miles/kms - can't remember how far exactly.

You set off from home on a holiday, say, with a journey of several hundred miles in front of you and after about 90 miles one of your tyres goes 'flat' and so you continue for as far as you dare according to the tyre manufactures's recommendations.

Having reached this maximum then, what do you now do, not having any spare, ring the rescue services or limp to the nearest tyre repairer hoping that they can service such monstrosities?
BMW Assist !

Don't get me wrong I hate this aspect of new BMWs
At a loss for words - DP
I've got a cheap twin cylinder footpump and although I've never inflated a tyre from scratch with it, it works a treat to add the 2-4 psi you occasionally need after a checks.

For pressure, I use a little Halfords digital keyring gauge. Won a couple of tests in bike mags for accuracy, and cost me about eight quid. Great little tool.
At a loss for words - oldgit
BMW Assist !

It's one of the many reasons why I did not buy that particular car but not the most obvious one. That, was the overall packaging, which was so awful i.e. the looks (in particular), the cramped interior, the small glass area - I could go on and on, but I won't!

At a loss for words - jacks
BMW Assist !

BMW Assist .................aaargh !

My wife has a BMW MINI (no spare) and got a late night puncture - tyre shredded - called BMW Assist - 2 hours later contracted out breakdown truck arrives, and they are are authorised to load the car onto the trailer and take it to the BMW dealer - nothing else. They don't have access to tyres, tyre depots etc.

BMW dealer is 20 miles from home, next day dealer calls and tells me he will get mobile tyre fitter in to replace the tyre (Pirelli P3000) cost c. £90..........................I've anticipated this & tell them that I gan get same tyre from local tyre dealer for £56 ( I had phoned around) and after a few moments they come up with a price of £55-95 (!)..........

So - the evening trip out curtailed, wife had to get lift to work next day, lift to dealer to pick up car etc.

I really don't think putting a car on the road without a spare of any kind is a good idea. There is room for a space saver spare wheel on the car (it was a £35 option that I suggested we order when specifing the car - but the saleswoman talked SWMBO out of it saying "You won't want to be messing around changing the wheel - one call to Assist and we'll do everything")
Something that was new to me was the use by some
drivers of the hard shoulder in traffic jams. Individuals speed down
the hard shoulder with both hazards blazing or just one indicator
on, and exit at the next junction instead of waiting for
the queue.

A month or so ago the northbound M1 was snarled up and people were using the hard shoulder for over a mile to get off at the next junction. I was quite amused to see that just before the junction a Highways Agency patrol had blocked the hard shoulder and were having words with all the drivers, who were then having difficulty getting back into the queue of traffic.
At a loss for words - No FM2R
>>Highways Agency patrol had blocked the hard shoulder and were having words with all the drivers

On what basis ? I didn't know they had any enforcement powers ? On what authority had they blocked the hard shoulder ?

At a loss for words - BazzaBear {P}
Interesting question that. Did they need any authority, or were they 'just happened to be stopped there'?
It's not like they were making arrests, I suppose it's on the same basis that, were there debris on a motorway lane, they would block that lane for peoples safety.
On what basis ? I didn't know they had any enforcement
powers ? On what authority had they blocked the hard shoulder?

I assume with orange flashing lights on they can use the hard shoulder as they see fit, including stopping on it where they deem it necessary? I assume they can't charge drivers with anything, just have a moan at them; or if they toook down reg. numbers and informed the police, would their word stand up in court?
At a loss for words - PST
It looks like they do have a number of powers which you ignore at your peril and in addition can follow the orders of the police.

This explains it in detail to the nth degree:

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/20040018.htm

And this gives an overview:

www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1970.aspx

Looks like new legislation is on its way to enable them to fiddle with the hard shoulder!

Paul
At a loss for words - drbe
>>Highways Agency patrol had blocked the hard shoulder and were having
words with all the drivers
On what basis ? I didn't know they had any enforcement
powers ? On what authority had they blocked the hard shoulder
?

On what authority were people driving along the hard shoulder???
At a loss for words - No FM2R
I don't know, why ? What had it got to do with the Highways Agency ? How did the Highways Agency know whether or not they had authority ? Were they indiviudally validating each case ? By what standard ? On the basis of what training ?

At a loss for words - PST
I don't know, why ? What had it got to do with the Highways Agency ? How did the Highways Agency know
whether or not they had authority ?

Quoting from the above site(s):

"TRAFFIC OFFICER LEGAL POWERS
The Traffic Management Act 2004 - granted significant powers to Traffic Officers to assist them in their work. The new powers allow Traffic Officers to:
-stop traffic and close roads, lanes and carriageways
-direct and divert traffic
-place and operate traffic signs
-manage traffic at traffic surveys
It is an offence in law not to comply with the directions of a Traffic Officer." ......end quote

So they (Highways Agency) have got the authority, I assume they didn't need to know whether the drivers on the hard shoulder had authority if HA had already closed it. As for training, they've had nearly £2 million's worth and I would guess on the requirements set out in the act.
At a loss for words - Manatee
What had it got to do with the Highways Agency ?

Thou jesteth?

>>How did the Highways Agency know whether or not they had authority ?

Perhaps they stopped them to find out?

>>Were they indiviudally validating each case ? By what standard ?

By the standard that it's an offence to drive on the hard shoulder without 'authority', presumably.

I expect the HA to do whatever it is empowered to do to bring about responsible behaviour on motorways, including discussing safe driving for at least 15 minutes with any driver stupid enough to use the hard shoulder in this way.
stop traffic and close roads, lanes and carriageways

Note the use of the word traffic, not specific vehicles. Like to get one of these in the box.....had a PCSO before lunch the other day, didn;t know his powers....these undertrained people make it too easy at times.
At a loss for words - Westpig
Never thought i'd hear myself say this...but.... the reason for the increasingly poor driving habits, both actual and by effect (neglecting your car) ... is the fact that most police authorities have allowed their traffic departments to dwindle and increasingly rely on speed cameras and the such like.

A surprisingly high number of people nowadays do not bother to register their vehicles at all, ficticiously register them or steal number plates (this type of theft has increased dramatically). The figures for people with no insurance is frightening.

This means that the average Joe will get his 3 points for 37mph in a 30 limit (and similar) whilst the dangerous oik will get away with everything..... and he knows it.

I appreciate we all have an old war story re the pedantic traffic cop, but i'd still like to thing your mother or granny would get let off with a finger wag for the 37 in the 30, yet the oik would have the book thrown at them for a multitude of things.

We need to pressure the powers that be i.e. the local MP to re-address the balance. Why the hell should i pay to be totally legal and apart from the odd drift upwards with speed try my best to comply with everything else, inc the highway code, when others ignore the lot.

There, i feel better for that........... and no i'm not a traffic cop.
You're right you know.