dare i mention odometers? - don111
The customer services team for my make of car, a european car, one year old, claim that prior to the pdi inspection the uk insert is calibrated in kilometers. This is changed to miles at pdi. Any comments?

Also whilst on the subject - if I accidentally zero the odometer is it possible to restore the mileage figure and if so how might this be achieved?

Thanks

Don
dare i mention odometers? - mss1tw
I don't think you can 'accidentally' zero an odometer!
dare i mention odometers? - nick62
Unless I'm very much mistaken, nobody has mentioned zeroing the odometer, simply changing the readout from kilometers to miles!

There is nothing new with this, as I know some Honda motorbikes have this feature as standard for the rider to change as he sees fit.

But it will only work if the speedo readout is digital as you can't re-calibrate an analogue speedo (read needle and conventional screen printed MPH markings on a dial type) with a button.
dare i mention odometers? - mss1tw
Unless I'm very much mistaken, nobody has mentioned zeroing the odometer,
simply changing the readout from kilometers to miles!

You hittin' the crack pipe son?

Also whilst on the subject - if I accidentally zero the odometer...
dare i mention odometers? - LeePower
Isnt there some cars that the odometer can be reset to 0 miles but not if the total reading has gone over 200 or 300 miles, Something to do with delivering the cars to dealers but it needs the dealers computer attaching to do this.

A lot of the digital read outs can be adjusted to whatever reading you want by someone with the correct software.

I know BMWs & the new shape Mini also store the mileage reading in the igntion key to help combat clocking & aid servicing.
Im also pretty sure the Citroen cars like the C3 with the digital speedo read out can be swopped between KMH & MPH by your friendly local Citreon dealer.
Let us assume that my son is let loose with the ignition key and then presses dashboard buttons at random with ign on and off and ...... hey presto! the odometer reading resets to zero. Quite possible as it has happened to me!
You care to mention what car this happened on?
at this stage let's simply say that the umbrella company has it's roots in the country recently hosting FIFA activities.
What did they say when you got in touch with them then?

dare i mention odometers? - George Porge
If you know the correct mileage your dealer can input it for you. No different than changing the instrument panel if it was faulty, old mileage is transfered to the new clocks.
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
dare i mention odometers? - Pugugly {P}
Er...you can do this on an original shape Vectra. No need to Dealer it.
Er...you can do this on an original shape Vectra. No need
to Dealer it.

""at this stage let's simply say that the umbrella company has it's roots in the country recently hosting FIFA activities""

Vectra?

--
dare i mention odometers? - cheddar
Er...you can do this on an original shape Vectra. No need
to Dealer it.

I used to do this when taking either of the Vectras I had abroad, it took about two seconds to change at whatever port, was useful re distance on road signs etc, I think I can also do it on the Mondeo, and the wife's Clio for that matter, though have never done so.
dare i mention odometers? - madf
Switch kms to miles on Yaris by one push of a button.
madf
As I read it the son has pressed various buttons and found a combination by accident to wipe the mileage reading (not the mileage trip) on the car. Ie zero miles. Which if converted to Kms would still be zero.

How would you revert this situation and reinstate the true mileage of the car without a trip to a dealer or suitable independant?
--
dare i mention odometers? - bignick
Have you considered renting your son out to the local used car lot? :) LOL