60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - GT
Having just accepted a new job about 70 miles (M-way) from home, I'm looking to replace my Passat V6 TDi (auto, nicely appointed, goes well, but only 32 mpg overall) for something around the £9-10k mark which is exceptionally frugal on fuel (e.g. is 60mpg to much to hope for?), is reliable, won't lose too much value from clocking up maybe 400-500 miles a week, and is preferably auto. Don't really mind whether petrol or diesel, but I would have thought it would need to be the latter to maximise consumption. I want something as roomy as possible, so not a Smart or Daihatsu. Something like a Golf TDi - can these do 60mpg?
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - mss1tw
Not biased at all (Much!) ;o) but I recommend a mk2 SEAT Toledo - basically an Audi, comfy, will easily do 60mpg in the conditions you describe, no common rail/PD to worry about, can't tell you about residual values but I picked up my 02 plate for £4450, 60,000 miles 1 owner from new FSSH etc. Fully loaded with all toys.

Can't recommend it enough for what you describe, except from maybe a Skoda, as they're more of the same. Except I think they are well known as being perfect cars for this scenario now so the prices might have gone up slightly.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Happy Blue!
I think you are unlikey to get 60mpg from a diesel auto, although you might from a VAG car with DSG.

There is also the Mitsu Colt with 1.5 Diesel and semi-auto box. Not certain if I'd want to do 140 miles a day in one of these though? Any car doing 25,000 miles pa will take a big hit on depreciation. You may be better off keeping the Passat - you will get more than 32mpg from that on a motorway run.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - local yokel
Will you really need an auto if you are doing such long distances on the m-way?

I'd suggest giving the Passat a month's trial in the new job before swapping it out.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - y2k+4
I suggest a Citroen C4 1.6 HDi or a Focus with the same engine. This engine is highly regarded as one of the most petrol-like and looking at the unreliable official figures it appears to be capable of 60mpg, even in 110 guise.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - barchettaman
Audi A2?
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - BazzaBear {P}
Any car doing
25,000 miles pa will take a big hit on depreciation.

Unless he buys a car which has already taken the hit? Could be worth going for something older, or already with a highish mileage, knowing thnat this way you won't be losing as much money on it?
To put it another way, what's the point of buying a low mileage car and paying the premium for it when it's going to be a high mileage car within months.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - local yokel
How about a W124 Mercedes 300D saloon? 40+ mpg. Nominal depreciation, lots of class. The lower purchase price and the very low depreciation will more than make up for the mpg difference.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Andrew-T
"I think you are unlikely to get 60mpg from a diesel auto"

I think you will do well to get 60mpg from any car at a steady 70mph. If it's auto, I would say impossible - 50mpg would be good going.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - mark111
>>"I think you are unlikely to get 60mpg from a diesel auto"

>>I think you will do well to get 60mpg from any car at a steady 70mph. If it's auto, I would say impossible - 50mpg would be good going.

Many newer automatics can be better on fuel then manuals. Like I said Mitsubishi Colt Allshift diesel auto does 61.4 mpg combined, which is better then the manual version. I picked this car because the OP was interested in the Golf, and theres not a lot of difference in size. Plus I think you can also get the Colt brand new for around 10k. DSG and CVT auto boxes are also good on fuel and will have similar fuel economy to manual.
Espada - thanks for the Colt suggestion (repeated later in this thread). I may well look into it - as you say, would I want to be doing 140 miles a day in one though? My Passat will do 36-37mpg at a constant 70mph on M-ways, but if (a) I keep up with the flow in the outside lane (i.e. >70), and (b) I add on the 10 miles of non-Mway bits at each end, then 32-33 is the best I can get. This seems more or less in line with VW's "combined" figure of 34.2
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - barney100
£9-10k....that would buy a lot of fuel! If the Passat is OK why bother change, you will save the money and be able to spend it on something else. I reckon we ( and I'm as bad) change our cars too early for the slightest excuse. I nearly had my self into yet another car loan last week and when i thouht the whole deal out I was losing thousands. Walked away and cleaned the old girl up and had her serviced.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Group B
Something
like a Golf TDi - can these do 60mpg?

My girlfriend had a Golf Tdi PD 100 as a company car. That would sometimes achieve over 60mpg average when driven back from Birmingham to Nottingham. That was her driving with a light right foot, and with cruise set to (an indicated) 70mph on motorways/ dual carriageways. AFAIR it would do a several less mpg on the outward journey from Notts to Brum.

Have you seen this recent thread regarding DSG gearboxes?:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42974&...e
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Pugugly {P}
Should get you an E46 Compact 320d. Can be persuaded on motorways to return somewhere around 55mpg if driven with sense, forward planning and no air-con.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - MGspannerman
Funnily enough I too am in the process of accepting a job which will involve a 65 mile drive each way, mainly on fast dual carriageway and motorway. I was also thinking about the relative economics of the journey. I have a W124 Mercedes diesel (auto) as mentioned above. It only has 100k on the clock and so in W124 terms is pretty fresh. I get around 36 mpg in every day use and I imagine might get a little more on the commute, however an auto box really canes fuel economy. However when you take into account depreciation versus cost savings in fuel between 36 and 50 mpg over, say 25000 miles per year, then the Merc remains an economically sound bet. Take into account the Merc factor of longevity and the "better the devil you know" perspective then I am going to stay as I am for at least a year and then may re-appraise. I did think about a 2.5 tdi Passat as a contender as my previous 2.5 Audi A6 never did less than 45mpg. I suspect your poorish 32 mpg is a combination of auto box, driving conditions and driving style. I would certainly expect to see more on a run, and also from a manual. Were I to change I think a VW group diesel would be my choice, probably an A4 estate with the 1.9, around 50 mpg, or if I am feeling a bit more optimistic then a 2.5 A4, A6, Passat or Skoda Superb, all with a manual box. I shall follow this thread with interest and would like to know your conclusions.

Thanks MGs
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - madf
Yaris 5 door diesel. 70mpg on long runs. MMT auto reliable. Buy a used one for £7k : I have seen them with over 100k for £4.5k.

10k servcing an dminimal maintenance costs 4 star safety.. Get a Tspirit with aircon...
madf
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - jammods
Presumably he wants something a bit bigger than a Yaris for motorway driving.

I know I would.
The Mitsubishi Colt Allshift diesel auto does 61.4 mpg combined. It has better fuel economy then the manual version (58.9 mpg) and even has lower emissions too. Maybe try that. Otherwise perhaps try a DSG box. Volkswagen have DSG on many of their cars. Audi, Seat, Skoda also have it on some of their cars. They should have similar fuel economy to a manual.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - peterb
Doesn't the OP want something bigger than a Yaris or Colt?

I think you need to look at depreciation as well as mpg. You also need a car you're going to be happy in if you're driving that much.

60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - tjones
Had a similar dilemma myself recently. I ended up with spending 7.5k on a 2000 BMW 320d. Initial indications suggest it will do 55-60 mpg when driven in a reasonable fashion, and should hold its value pretty well as has only done 63k miles.

Having looked about at a lot of diesels, and seeing that you have a bit more money to spend than I did, I would say head towards a Saab, A4 or the 320d.
GT, with respect, when you suggest an A4, why spend more just for a badge?

Obviously there aren't any directly equivalent SAAB or BMW cars but Audi seems a little pointless.

Just my opinion.
GT = tjones - I have no idea where that came from.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - peterb
"why spend more just for a badge?"

I've driven quite a few Audis and quite a few rep/family cars. I'd say the difference goes some way beyond the badge...
Door grab handles and maybe dashboard, I'll give you that.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Martin Sweeney
Well IIRC, that and a totally different chassis, suspension, gearbox setup, interior and exterior styling, cabin design and quality, different switchgear etc. My wife moved from a Passat to an A4 for her last car. Both cars were good and has different strengths but were each very different to drive and spend time in. Both were 1.9tdis and she easily got mid-50s on a fast daily commute. Only question mark over some typically European recurring electrical gremlins with both cars.
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - wemyss
Mark, Coud you give your appraisal of the Mitsubishi Colt. Was looking at these for my wifes next car and walking round the dealers showroom they did look good. HJ gives a good road test on them.
>Mark, Coud you give your appraisal of the Mitsubishi Colt. Was looking at these for my wifes next car and walking round the dealers showroom they did look good. HJ gives a good road test on them.

Sorry I haven't driven the Colt yet. I have just read reviews on them, and they have been good reviews too. I would recommend checking out the auto: There is no clutch pedal but the gears can be changed manually or automatically depending on what you prefer or what you want at the time. The fuel economy for the auto is even better then the manual. The auto does 61.4mpg combined (diesel). Its not a really big car, but it has plenty of space in it. Take a test drive to see what you think, but it does sound good.
Does anyone publish a comprehensive list of new & recent cars listed in order of fuel economy, but also containing some performance data such as 0-60? I don't relish having to plough through Parker's, for example.

No-one's mentioned the Mini 1.4 diesel yet - 59mpg combined?
60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - Waino
Dunno if you'd call it 'a touch of class', but my matey can get 74mpg out of his Skoda Octavia diesel estate on the daily grind to the office at 60mph down the A14 every day. He swears by it.

60mpg, reliable and a touch of class? - tanvir
How about a 75 CDT? Bargain prices, BMW motor (which can be chipped to 320d spec for c.£300) and a comfortable, serene motorway ride?