Windscreen Washers - mick13bass
Hi

The windscreen washers on both my Ford Mondeo and my wife's Ford Fiesta dont seem to work that is the motors work, but little or no water comes out, I have tried to send a jet of water down each as was suggested to me by honest John and today I stuck the garden hose in each bottle and tried to flush out anything that may be blocking the pipes,but still nothing, has anybody else had this problem and if so could you please tell me how you resolved it. It seems strange that both cars are afffected at the same time.

Regards

Mick Basford
Windscreen Washers - Wales Forester
Mondeo's at least are prone to throwing the pipe off the washer motor resulting in a pool of water underneath the car when used, have you checked for this?
Yes thank for you reply, yes I have checked this out as you are quite right this as happend to me before so it was the first place I looked on my Mondeo, never had a problem with the Fiesta before though.

Regards

Mick Basford
Windscreen Washers - LeePower
You tried popping the pipes off both jets & seeing how much water comes squirting out?

If theres hardly any water pressure there then a pipe is blocked or the pump is on the way out.

If theres loads of water squirting out the pipes then you know the jets need unblocking, Best to use an airline on the back of the jet when the pipe was clipped on, Forces all the dirt back out again.
Windscreen Washers - Galaxy
You will find there's a rubber filter which is part of the grommet which the pump pushes into in a hole at the bottom of the reservoir.

This filter fills up with crap and gets blocked.

Remove pump from the bottom of the reservoir, it just pulls out, remove grommet/filter, that just pulls out as well. Give filter a good wash under the hot tap. Worth flushing reservoir out while pump is out.

On my Mondeo, as well as the filter being blocked with crap, there was some sort of bacterial growth in the reservoir and this was like a clear jelly which effectively sealed the pump inlet. It's unlikely this can be removed by flushing from the top.

I'm only familiar with the Mondeo, I'm afraid, but I'm quite sure the arrangement on the Fiesta will be very similar.
Windscreen Washers - Pugugly {P}
Check the tiny nozzels on the output side, stick a pin in them....
Windscreen Washers - PhilW
"Check the tiny nozzels"
And the tubes - my rear washer stopped working on my old BX in summer. Turned out to be algae or something blocking the tube. In the end I attached my footpump (with the narrow "lilo/football" attachment on it), pumped gently and it cleared the blockage- worked perfectly from then on, Worth a try if jets and pump are OK.
--
Phil
Windscreen Washers - type's'
Try replacing the nozzles.
This happened to my saab and I replaced the nozzles (a couple of quid - even on a saab) and it made a huge difference.
I think what happens is the chemicals in the washer fluid dry out in the nozzles and block them (blue crusty stuff).
This can be made worse if you have these new nozzles that spray a mist rather than jets as the nozzle aperture is much smaller.
Windscreen Washers - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Also try Halfords Lemon Scented screen wash. The stuff which says it has water softeners in it.
Made a big difference to my spray type nozzles on the Passat.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Thanks for the tip mate you were quite right in both case both filters were blocked, proberbly due to me putting tap water in and we are in a hard water area, that will teach me. Both the jobs on the Mondeo and Fiesta to sort this out were quite easy to do, so thanks once again.

Mick
Gents

Thanks for all of your advice I will give each one a try.

Thanks again

Regards

M A Basford
Windscreen Washers - bikemade3
Recfently sorted exactly the same problem, do they work with the bonnet up, if so then there's a kink in the hose and when you close the bonnet the bore is blocked.