BMW 320d? - tjones
New job means need to buy a car. Have about 8k to spend, and will be doing upwards of 20k miles a year.

Had settled on a BMW 320d, which can pick up for 7.5k with 66k miles on clock. However, research has suggested various horror stories about turbo failure.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
Tim
BMW 320d? - Hamsafar
I agree with you, but if you can get one that already blew up and was fixed under warranty, that would be OK for me.
Also, I think there was an engine firmware update to remove the combination of things which caused the destructive harmonics.
BMW 320d? - trancer
Firmware update and a re-designed turbo...you won't get BMW to actually admit it though.
BMW 320d? - tjones
Can you take it to a BMW garage and get the firmware update even if the Turbo is still the original one?

Otherwise it looks like a lovely example, full BMW service history etc, 1 previous owner, only 66k so would like to get it really.

Perhaps an extended dealer parts and labour warranty would be prudent.
BMW 320d? - Hamsafar
It would probably depend on the dealer, in fact you would probably do better just to ask for the latest firmwares and not say why, otherwise they may be worried about doing so and you complaining if the turbo still broke. I think the turbos have astepped impeller shaft and it snaps where the step is due to metal fatigue. The same turbo is used on other makes without a problem, I think it's a Garrett turbo, and it took them quite a while to find out what the problem was, so the later one blew up and was replaced, the more chance of it being the redesigned one!.
BMW 320d? - Pugugly {P}
What about a third party warranty ?
BMW 320d? - tjones
Yeah, I think I'll go down that route once the dealer 3 monther expires.

Got it for 7700 including a tank of diesel and 6 months tax. Quite happy with that.
BMW 320d? - DP
Sounds like a lot of car for the money. What year is it?

Cheers
DP
BMW 320d? - tjones
It's a 2000 W plate. Tiptop condition as well.
BMW 320d? - DP
Nicely done! Enjoy.

Cheers
DP