Fiesta V 306 - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
We need to buy a second car for about £1,500.

It needs to be a 1.4 or under. I have narrowed it down to two that I would be interested in. The peugeot 306 and a Ford Fiesta zetec.

Can you good people give me the pros and cons on each motor and what one would you take?

Many thanks for any help.
Fiesta V 306 - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Also, as an outsider I might consider a TOYOTA Corolla 1.3 but I know nothing about this car.
Fiesta V 306 - local yokel
The 306 is a larger car than the Fiesta, so the 1.4 unit will have to work (and be worked) harder. The Fiesta should therefore be a nicer and more economical drive.
Fiesta V 306 - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
These cars are different body sizes/classes.
The 1.4 engine in a Pug 306 is lugging a bigger and heavier lump of metal around, making it slower than the smaller lighter Fiesta.
It depends what you want:- more room and steady, or small and quick.

Simon
Fiesta V 306 - DP
Agree with Simon. I'm a big fan of the 306 in larger petrol engine and turbodiesel versions, but it's pretty gutless in 1.4 guise. The 1.6 goes quite well though if you can stretch to it.

We currently have a 1.4 Fiesta and it's a lovely little car. Much more driver focused than the majority of its rivals with stacks of steering feel, sharp handling and a slick, short throw gearbox. The 1.4 Zetec unit is a cracker and returns 38-40 mpg to boot.

Apart from an appetite for front suspension bushes and some cheap interior fittings, I can't fault it at the price. Ours is on 90k and still drives beautifully.

Cheers
DP
Fiesta V 306 - AlastairW
I traded up from a Mk3 Fiesta to a 306, and was always disappointed with the interior space ie: it didnt feel that much bigger. As has been said above 1.4 is quite small for a 306, so think you would be better off with the Ford.
Fiesta V 306 - MichaelR
Personally, I would chose a Citroen Xsara. Before you say no, hear me out.

The Citroen Xsara is the sister car to the Peugeot 306. They are mechanically identical. Same chassis, same suspension components, same engines, same everything. All that differs is the exterior look, and the interior.

Now, the Xsara is far from the worlds most exciting car to look at, whereas the 306 is 'cool and sporty'. So, supply and demand pushes prices of the 306 up and kills prices of the Xsara. The Xsara also has a more modern, nicer interior and more standard equipment.

So, you will get a newer, nicer Xsara for £1500 or less than you would 306, and everything that matters about them is identical.

Give it a try.
Fiesta V 306 - NowWheels
I like the sound of MichaelR's advice. When buying s/h, untrendy cars make the best buys.

One downside of the Xsara is that rear window is not much for seeing out of. Otherwise it's quite a nice car.
Fiesta V 306 - Statistical outlier
Couldn't agree more with Michael, the Xsara is excellent value for money as it's very unloved. The 3 door coupe is a lot less boring than the five door.

Ride and handling is excellent, I got high 30s mpg on the 1.8 16V, the only things to work for is the electrics and the suspension. Watch for hesitation on accellaration, clunks in the suspension, and don't buy pattern parts for exhaust or brakes - cost me more than £600 looking for problems that came back to poor quality parts.

Gord
Fiesta V 306 - Avant
Size-wise, the Corolla is probably between the two others but nerer the 306. I'm not sure why it has to 2.4 or under: as others havce said, the 306 is underpowered as a 1.4, so if you can get a good 1.6 for your budget, go for it. It won't use much, if any, more fuel than the 1.4 as you won;t have to floor the accelerator so often.

If you need the space and economy, think of a diesel - the XUD engine was excellent.

If you don't need the space, I agree with the others - go for the Fiesta. Even the 1.25 is quite lively.
Fiesta V 306 - Avant
I meant of course 'has to be 1.4 or under' ! A 2.4 can be underpowered - in a Jaguar Mark 2.
Fiesta V 306 - autumnboy
I would chose the 306 as they don't rust like Fords, also as already mentioned I'd get a Turbo version for its performance and economy.
Fiesta V 306 - mss1tw
I've owned both.

The Fiesta will have an excellent ride, the 1.4 Zetec engine will shine in the Fiesta chassis. Parts are cheap and the cars are pretty robust. Chassis not galvanised.

The Peugeot will have the best handling and ride, in my opinion. As others have said the 1.4 will be a bit wheezy in a car of this size,but it should come with far, far more standard equipment, along with a galvanised chassis.

Not quite as durable as the Fiesta, but, reliable none the less.
Fiesta V 306 - trigger_mike
Personlly of the two, i've have the fiesta, o.k, every every driver has one but thats not a bad thing, they are cheap, reliable, nippy and funny.
The 306 is big and gutless, you'll get a sportly Fiesta in 1.4 guse but only a basic 306 in 1.4 guse.
Also the head gaskets are a comon problem in 1.4 306's.
I has a V-reg 306, the door fell off.
Fiesta V 306 - trigger_mike
Sorry about the bad spelling thought you be about to edit it after you posted!
Fiesta V 306 - madf
I've had a Fiesta and driven and 306.
Fiesta:
For: drive, cheap parts, reliable, fun, parking (get power steering if you can), easy to maintain,
Against: rust - passenger side sills under B post, rear under boot are BAD. Lack of space in rear (OK for under 12s), small boot.

For: drive, cheap parts but engine hoses!, reliable but less so than Fiesta (electrics awful), fun, easy to maintain. Space in rear. Well built body .. little rust
Against: French electrics - can be frustrating on a badly maintained car, radiators and heater matrices corrode (the latter is ££££££), poorly maintained ones can have headgaskets/heater/engine problems.

A poorly maintained 306 can be a nightmare. Ditto a rusty Fiesta.
A Fiesta is easier to park being smaller.

For a second car, I'd go for relaibility and cost to run: Fiesta wins. But if space is key then a 306. But a cheap 306 can be a moneypit.

madf