Which Clio? - kidzrags1
Hi

I am going to buy a clio, could you give your opinions on which to buy

a) Brand New Clio Campus (oldstyle) 1.2 (8v) from online broker for £5995 (flat colour as metallic is around £350)
b) Brand New Clio Rush (1.2 8v old style,,,, i think this was a special made before the campus was branded and as far as I can tell same spec as the campus) for £5995 from local dealer
c) Ex-Demo Clio Campus (1.2 8v) as a but with metallic finish, has 2000 miles on clock and is on a 55plate, for £5495 from another local dealer

not sure if the ex-demo is better value or not and cant work out depretiation risks etc

thanks
Jim
Which Clio? - tyro
Wot? No Ka?

But if you are going for the Clio, it seems to me that all three are much of a muchness. It really depends on whether having metalic paint is more important than having a brand new car.

Speaking personally, I like getting my cars brand new, and would go for a) or b) - unless I really didn't like the flat colours available.
Which Clio? - SteVee
Are these all 3 door versions ?
I think the Campus is 3 door only - but if any of the rush variants is a 5 door, then I'd buy that.
Can you beat the dealer down on the 55 plate ex-demo ?
I recently paid 4700 for a 05 plate 3 door rush in metallic and CD player from a trader, so maybe 5200 for the ex-demo ?
Which Clio? - kidzrags1
these are all the 3 door versions, i might try and get the dealer down a bit as you suggest, have a part ex and am aware that the internet broker would offer peanuts for it (when i was looking at the ka the dealer via the broker only offered £100 for it, its a 97 P plate rover 214, with 40,000 on clock) and hoped the dealer would offer more
Which Clio? - kidzrags1
no, went to try the Ka but our buggy (which is a very small stroller) would only fit in at a strange angle on its side diagonally and got tangles up in the wires, its a shame as i was all set for the ka

flat colours are blue and red. they are ok but not great, was thinking about the resale and thought that the silver might sell better/hold value better but didnt know if this would be begated by me being the second owner
Which Clio? - Altea Ego
HOw long you planning to keep this car? On car around the 6 grand mark, over 5 years, depreciation is not a significant issue between the different cars you could buy.

A metalic car will be easier to sell. Renault flat colours are not terribly good or that resilient and fade and scratch, Their metalics on the other hand are much better.

As suggested above, you have a kid? you want a five door.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which Clio? - Xileno {P}
Put the Rover on e-bay, someone will pay more than £100 for it.

Save up and get the Clio 3, far far better car IMO.
Which Clio? - wotspur
well if you prefer the KA, just buy yourself a new buggy that will fit, surely thats a better option than accepting 2nd best
Which Clio? - SteVee
Xileno >>.Save up and get the Clio 3, far far better car IMO.<<
Why do you consider the Clio 3 to be better ?

In our case, the smaller size of the Clio II and the availability of an easily maintained 8V SOCH engine made the II the better buy. Overall running costs should be significantly lower for the II
Which Clio? - Xileno {P}
"Why do you consider the Clio 3 to be better ?"

More spacious, more comfortable, quieter, generally more refined and far better built.
Which Clio? - y2k+4
Not wishing to hijack the thread, I do make the (occasional) mistake of believing the replacement is better than predecessor. Quite often it's not, but that said, I wouldn't have the Clio II due to (what I found to be) an uncomfortable and cramped driving position. I much prefer the - actually less adjustable - Ka.
Which Clio? - Altea Ego
Dynamically the Clio3 is a better car (ride/handling/comfort/noise/ergonomics etc). BUT, its significantly larger and significantly more expensive. So expensive in fact I expect Renault will have to discount big time soon in its life cycle to maintain sales.
£9145 starting price for a modest spec 1.2 three door supermini is frankly stupid. It is however loaded with safety features as standard (EBA, EBD, ABS - only lacking side curtain airbags)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which Clio? - Xileno {P}
You can't have champagne on beer money. It's a damn good car the Clio 3 and for that you must reach deeper into your pockets.
Which Clio? - y2k+4
Except that's like saying there's no such thing a bargain. Objectively, you could sit down and ask yourself if the Clio 3 is worth the extra outlay (50% more than the Clio 2 in question). For some it would be yes, for some it would be no. Personally, I'd find a year-old example of the Clio 2 if that was my preference.
Which Clio? - Altea Ego
Renault have pushed the clio up, to leave space at the bottom for...........

The Twingo.

YAY at last......Twingos in R/H drive.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which Clio? - y2k+4
I know. I find it quite amusing actually. The newest editions of superminis are now as big (and pricey) as the old Rover 200/25. It seems like they were a decade too early...

I should point out that the FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active can be had for just £1k more than the Clio outlined above from motorpoint, and it is supposed to be a very good car too.
Which Clio? - local yokel
>and it is supposed to be a very good car too

You are right, it is supposed to be good, but I'll wager you my next pay packet that in three years time a higher than acceptable proportion will develop faults that could have been avoided if Fiat had spent a little more time and money engineering them better.
Which Clio? - oldgit
Dynamically the Clio3 is a better car (ride/handling/comfort/noise/ergonomics etc). BUT, its
significantly larger and significantly more expensive. So expensive in fact I
expect Renault will have to discount big time soon in its
life cycle to maintain sales.
£9145 starting price for a modest spec 1.2 three door supermini
is frankly stupid. It is however loaded with safety features as
standard (EBA, EBD, ABS - only lacking side curtain airbags)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

This is the problem with small cars. Again they are growing larger with each new model and this seems to have happenend throughout motoring history. A nice car like the Clio is introduced and then has mods. done to it but then a completely new model is introduce which for my partner's needs is now too large to fit our garage. It is imperative that at least one of our cars can go into the garage so that those outside can be manoeuvred about and driven out of the drive in a forwards direction.
Why don't they leave the external dimensions alone - now I suppose they'll start designing and producing a new 'small' car again!!