Garages - have you had bad experiences? - F1driver
Arhh another episode in my saga to get my car fixed...
Cam belt broken.. had to get my Renault Laguna 1.8 RT towed to a garage.. Its been in there almost two weeks. I got a original quote over the phone..£450 plus Vat to fix it... apparently more than one valve was bent.. it seems to drag on and on.. All garages promise they will phone back but they never do..and all i get is excuses there a problem with this and that and they doing it now..i was supposed have car back on friday and its Tuesday now..they say that engine is running but cuts out - might be the sensor..and that they have to contact renault..I just think they are dragging things on to bump up charges or one of the mechanics has borrowed it to go on holiday! if they decided to bump up the bill.. I have half a mind to say keep the car..as its not worth much.. I guess £350 - £650 on a 96 p.. any advice on what i should do next? has anyone else had bad experiences?
Garages - have you had bad experiences? - bell boy
what if they gave you it back running like a turnip ?would you be happy then?cars are cars you cant always fix them by the alloted book time
what if they gave you it back running like a turnip
?would you be happy then?cars are cars you cant always fix
them by the alloted book time

Fair comment - perhaps I should be more patient!
Garages - have you had bad experiences? - Number_Cruncher
Now, my knowledge of Renaults is meagre, so my question may be completely off beam

Are the camshafts on these engines solid, or built up?

Some engines have built up camshafts, where the cams themselves are a very tight fit on shafts made from a cheaper material, and during cam-belt breakages, these built up cams can be disturbed, or knocked round a bit.

If this is the case, and the garage doesn't realise, the new valves they put in may end up being damaged as soon as they turn the key, because although the belt and pulleys are all timed properly, the valves aren't!

If the cams are solid, then you can safely ignore my rambling!

Number_Cruncher
Now, my knowledge of Renaults is meagre, so my question may
be completely off beam

I appreciate your answer.. to be honest i do not know whether a solid cam or built up.. can anyone else shed any light on this? whether solid or not!

{Edited as per HJ's & my recent post -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612 - DD}
Garages - have you had bad experiences? - omeganoway
Worst experience I had from a garage was...I had a lovely Mercedes 260E,had it in for a service at a well established place prior to a week touring south wales,(long way from oldham).When I went to collect it, I asked if the rear brake pads were OK as I had done them myself. The mechanic??! said "oh yeah mate no problem mate sound as a pound."I knew by his answer there was something wrong.About two weeks later the front brakes started to make a nasty noise,the discs and pads were so worn that the lip that had formed on the discs was touching the metal of the pad.I changed them myself,took an hour and a half start to finish.I went back to the garage to see my mate (I hope you see the sarcasm) threw the old parts on the desk in front of a full waiting room and told them what I thought of them in no uncertain terms.