vw touran diesel suddenly dies - rustbucket
VW touran diesel engine suddenly died no electrics,no hazard flashers,elec windows ect absolutely no power at all.This happened last year was found or thought to be corroded + terminal on battery by VW dealer.
Same thing happened today only VW rescue attended and found nothing wrong, when this problem occured this time the battery case was very hot and the + battery terminal was also very hot and slightly discoloured-had cooled down by the time VW rescue repair man had arrived.Only suggestion was book it into VW for investigation.
So my thoughts are
1.if it was a high resistance battery terminal ie corrosion it would get hot but why would that cause the engine to stop.
2. If there was a lot of drain on the battery and caused the voltage to drop significantly and cause the + terminal to get hot would that stop the engine.
3. If it was a high drain on the battery where to, alternator via a duff diode or perhaps the starter motor?

I was not there at the time so info sketchy.

Any thoughts / suggestions please

--
rustbucket (the original)
vw touran diesel suddenly dies - Altea Ego
It all points to the same thing again.

1/ Yes it would get hot and yes lack of volts getting through would stop the engine.

2/ Is the same as Q1

3/ Its possible the alternator has cooked the battery, bu complete loss of voltage indicates a primary voltage failure. The high temperature can be caused by defective terminals or the battery could be defective internally

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
vw touran diesel suddenly dies - Aprilia
If the battery case is hot (as opposed to just the terminal) then this indicates that there is a lot of current passing through the battery.
The current drain on the battery when the engine is running should be very small.

Suggestions:
Alternator is overcharging (blown any bulbs lately - any wierd eletrical happenings, alternator case getting hot?).
There is a short - look for chaffed insulation on the major unfused cables to alt and starter.
The alternator triode-pack has a short to ground - ign warning light should be on and alternator would get hot and possible make a whining/vibrating noise due to phase imbalance.
vw touran diesel suddenly dies - cheddar
Do I recall correctly reading somewhere that there is a known electrical problem with the 2.0TDi Touran? Perhaps RF, er TVM could search the VW forums.

Re touran problem.

I looked at the touran this morning it had a 15 mile run battery and alternator running cold, battery voltage 14.5 volts with no load and 14.0 volts under load. Checked conections on the fuse box buss bars,alternator and tapped -prodded for intermittent connections.The terminals on the battery are tight and clean-but may have been cleaned yesterday by VW rescue man?
Unable to find any thing about this problem with search on the web I have come up with a theory.
Suppose battery had an intermmitent internal fault which took loads of current out of the alternator, so that the battery sides and + terminal got very hot.The alternator unable to keep up with demand the voltage dropped to a point that the engine is unable to run.At this point no voltage at all so everything dead .After aperiod of time battery recovers and engine and all sytems functioning normally.
I now know that this diesel runs ok without a battery after starting,and that the problem has occured twice after the vehicle was not used for several days (normally used twice or more a day)

--
vw touran diesel suddenly dies - Aprilia
A lead acid battery is made up of 6 separate 2V cells. The lead paste can drop off the plates and short an individual cell out - but I can't think how an entire battery could suffer in this way and then recover.
I think you have some other problem.
Tourans a fraught with electrical gremlins mostly computer and can bus related. Yours however sounds like basic electrics shorting out, and as its well fused this would indicate its on the high current unfused side. This is stuff that supplies starter motor so look there for chaffing wires and stuff.

One thing is sure, whatever it is is not doing the battery a whole load of good, once you find the problem and fix it.,then change the battery.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
When I was looking up recalls on the touran to get to the bottom of the dead touran I came across this one as below.Not knowing exactly how the dual mass flywheel works can anyone throw light so to speak on why it may cause a fire.?? unrelated to original electrical problem but I would like to know

Recall: No. 2 of 2
Recall Ref: R/2005/091
Exact Model:
Description: Flywheel may fail
VIN: WVG0001T04W04W044331 to WVG0001T04W177262
Build Date:
Numbers: 2445
Defect: The possibility exists that the two mass flywheel may fail, due to the design of the through-flow restrictor in the clutch pressure pipe. In the worst case, the failure can result in a vehicle fire.
Action: Affected vehicles will be recalled to establish the manufacturer of the two mass flywheel and if necessary replace the flywheel and breather of the clutch pressure pipe.
Launch Date: 05 October 2005

--
This recall only affects 2.0tdi tourans. No idea why the fire occurs, but there are many pretty pictures on the net of flaming 2.0tdi tourans.....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >