To DSG or not to DSG.. - Imagos
Slightly perplexed to find my new Automatic Passat company car has just the standard auto gearbox as opposed to a DSG gearbox.

I'm not an expert here so could somebody explain to me the differences between a VW standard auto and a DSG box? Have driven both but couldn't tell any difference.

What am I missing out on or is it nothing to get concerned about?
To DSG or not to DSG.. - jc2
The auto is a genuine automatic gearbox;the DSG is basically a manual g'box(albeit a complicated one) with module-controlled clutches for the gearchanges;as long as they're working you have nothing to get worried about.
To DSG or not to DSG.. - adverse camber
The dsg seeems to be far less reliable so you prob have the best option. If you want an auto that is.
To DSG or not to DSG.. - daveyjp
Have you any firm evidence to back this statement up? I have not heard or read anything that says the DSG has inherent problems. It's been around for three or four years now so if there were significant issues they would have surfaced. I'm an owner of a DSG A3 and am not aware of any issues with it.

Never driven an auto diesel - closest is an Audi A4 Multitronic which seemed to perform as well as the DSG, but it didn't have paddles so manual changes were difficult to perform.

If you are considering DSG ensure you get the paddles too.
To DSG or not to DSG.. - mark111
I have heard the DSG is very good. Baically, the standard auto uses a torque convertor. Whereas the DSG uses a manual gearbox with two automatic clutches. As a result the gear changes are done in something like 0.02 seconds - very fast and smooth! Therefore there is always constant power to the drive wheels. Both types are tiptronic, allowing the gears to be changed automatically or manually.

The advantages of the DSG over the standard auto are:
-better performance/faster
-better fuel economy
-lower emissions?

Perhaps the standard auto is more reliable, but I dont know?

For more info on DSG look here:

media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9753
To DSG or not to DSG.. - Hamsafar
At least the auto with a torque convertor will have the benefits of torque multiplication and if the car's a diesel, it will be able to rev straight up to the stall-speed of the convertor when setting off, thus 'effectively' eliminating any turbo lag.
To DSG or not to DSG.. - mark111
I havent driven the DSG yet, but for those who have....

A standard auto 'creeps' forward, when you release the foot brake. So your kind of using the foot brake like a clutch. Does the DSG 'creep' forward as you release the brake?
To DSG or not to DSG.. - Imagos
A standard auto 'creeps' forward, when you release the foot brake.
So your kind of using the foot brake like a clutch.
Does the DSG 'creep' forward as you release the brake?

IIRC i believe so, also the point on quicker gearchanges.. yes i remember that too so yes it's all coming back to me. It was a while back now that i drove a DSG. Watching the rev counter drop on fast accelaration was exceptionaly fast as pointed out.