98 A4 Audi Fuel starvation at speed - Nigel s
I got a 98 petrol Audi A4 recently and it was fine at low speeds and around town, but when I took it on the motorway and tried to increase the speed or the revs go above 2500 the car lurches as if it has fuel starvation.
An OBD Scan didn't show an problems at all and no error messages or codes show on the dash.
It starts first time from cold every time.
The man at the Audi dealers sucked his teeth and wouldn't even give a guesstimate to the problem or a cost to fix it.
Anyone any Ideas on what the cause might be ?

regards
Nigel s
98 A4 Audi Fuel starvation at speed - LeePower
Has the fuel filter ever been changed?
98 A4 Audi Fuel starvation at speed - adverse camber
which engine ? manual or auto?

also 98 was a facelift point, do you know if yours is early or late ?

is this road speed related or engine speed related?

throttle body ? maf? exhaust/cat failure? Soooo many possibilities.

what did you use to do the code read ?
The engine is a 1.6 petrol, manual.

The first Reg was 09/98 but no idea of production date.

Its mainly road speed related I think, but I could be wrong, the problem only seems to transpire when I try to accelerate quickly or take the speed up to a point where the revs are constantly above 2500 normally when it reaches 3-3500 it is at its worst.
A mobile car electrical engineer used a diagnostic computer to check the system.
I have no idea if the fuel filter has ever been changed.
98 A4 Audi Fuel starvation at speed - Screwloose
Nigel

There's no guarantee, but that's a classic sounding case of MAF [airflow] sensor failure. They don't leave codes and are usually shot by 55-70,000 miles [at the latest.]

They can be tested using a scanner and watching the live-data readings, or just fit a new one. ONLY use dealer-supplied units: there's thousands of allegedly "genuine" - but totally useless - counterfeit ones about. [Often dearer than a VAG one.]
Hi screwwloose

Thanks for the tip, it was the MAF, well it was part of it. the Crank sensor and Temp sensor were also phut, and all together confused the situation but we got there in the end.

Many thanks
Nigel s.