Put off any new purchase... - Erp
Well, after reading the C by C breakdowns and various forums I?ve completely scared myself off buying anything at all.

I?ve got a Cav @ 203k, av 38mpg doing 350 miles a week, Vectra C seemed to be the obvious choice but after going on the forum seems all is far from well.

In a nutshell looking for good mpg, economic to fix, fit 2 adults 2 toddlers,longevity, looking to spend 3-4k.

Options with issues I know about.

Mondeo ? clutch, bushes, wind noise
Vectra C ? coil packs, oil burning, flat spots, turbo lag, smoking, clutch
A4 ? brake pipes, air con, cost to fix
C Class ? rust, glow plugs on diesels, wiring looms on pre early 96 models.

I?m open to petrol or diesel, have I just read too much and should accept that no car is far from perfect, on that basis should I stick with ?British? for the benefit of economic repairs. Or I'm thinking I'm obviuosly looking i nplaces where problems are reported, not a true representation of the car as a whole.

Any advice or experience on the above models appreciated.

Thanks.

Ellis
Put off any new purchase... - Victorbox
"I?ve got a Cav @ 203k, av 38mpg doing 350 miles a week" ....
"I?ve completely scared myself off buying anything at all" .....
so keep the Cav until it dies, it is virtually worthless now anyway, except what it is worth to you - with regular oil changes it may do another 100K!
Put off any new purchase... - Roly93
It is a bit worrying, but personally I would still go for the Mondeo. I have an Audi myself which is a great car, but I would suspect that buying one of these on a budget may be a mistake compared to the Mondeo.
Put off any new purchase... - midlifecrisis
I've had my 2.2 direct Sri Vec C for well over a year now. Not a single fault, comfortable and cheap to run.
Put off any new purchase... - Happy Blue!
Honda Accord, Nissan Primera, Toyota Avensis, Mazda 626 or Mazda 6.

All reliable cars. Suitable size. Some with diesel.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Put off any new purchase... - Xileno {P}
The only issue with the Jap stuff is that if something does go wrong, parts are quite expensive. I think a Mondeo makes a good buy, just make sure the clutch is good.

How much would a Mondeo clutch be? £300 perhaps?
Put off any new purchase... - Erp
Midlifecrisis/anyone,

is that a DI, or is there a direct 2.2 petrol and non-direct 2.2?

Thanks
Put off any new purchase... - daveyjp
A neighbour has a 2.2 Direct petrol Vectra. He's had it about 12 months and to the best of my knowledge has had no problems with it - bought it at 6 months old and saved a load over new. His favourite conversation when he had the Pug 307 (and to a lesser extent his Celica) was what it had been in the dealer's for that week! We have had no such conversation yet about the Vectra so all must be OK.
It'a a petrol. The newer 2.2s are direct (whatever that means-direct have twin exhausts). I average 36mpg and it's very quiet and smooth. No issues at all.
Put off any new purchase... - Dynamic Dave
It'a a petrol. The newer 2.2s are direct (whatever that means-direct have twin exhausts).

My Vectra-C is also a 2.2 direct, and it only has one exhaust.

btw, "direct" is refering to the injection system, i.e. direct injection.
Put off any new purchase... - Aprilia
Yes, but there aren't may 1.9 Diesel Vectras that haven't been back to the workshop.....
My experience with Vectra's would suggest otherwise. The 1.9 diesel is a sound engine if it's left alone.
I stand corrected then. I thought all 'Directs' had twin exhaust. I'm sure all the later ones did. (Mine's a nov 2004)
I stand corrected then. I thought all 'Directs' had twin exhaust. I'm sure all the later ones did. (Mine's a nov 2004)

I thought it was model specific, or an optional extra. Some of the 2.2 Sigmum's and Vectra's I've seen have had either single or twin exhausts. As yours is the SRi, that *might* be why it's got two.
Put off any new purchase... - Aprilia
My experience with Vectra's would suggest otherwise. The 1.9 diesel is
a sound engine if it's left alone.

>>

Not according to my young friend who's a tech at the local GM dealer. He reckons its a troublesome engine compared to the 2.2 - a co-production with FIAT apparently.
As an active member of a Vectra owners forum, that's certainly not my experience.
As a lurker and poster on a couple of Vauxhall forums, I've also seen very little negatively written about the 1.9 Fiat/GM engine either.
Put off any new purchase... - Marc
Indeed, if you check out :

www.forum.vectra-c.com/

Most owners of (Fiat) 1.9CDTi Vectras are really happy with the power and economy of this engine (esp in 150BHP guise) compared to the rather low tech, albeit chain driven, 2.2 GM diesel engine that used to be fitted. This engine, like the old 2.2, is also fitted to SAABs as well
Put off any new purchase... - Roly93
My experience with Vectra's would suggest otherwise. The 1.9 diesel is
a sound engine if it's left alone.

>>
Agreed, this is after all a Fiat engine, and the same unit as used in Saabs, Fiats Alfas etc. However the previous GM 2.0 and 2.2 diesels were robust but as rough as a badgers backside !!!