passat tdi tuning - v8man
I have a 1997 Passat 1.9Tdi and wish to tune it. What recommendations can any Passat Tdi owning backroomers give me as to which is the best tuning box or chip?
Bye the way it's an auto if that makes any difference.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
passat tdi tuning - blue_haddock
At that age it could well be the old style TDi which runs mechanical injection so you would not be able to just chip it but you would need to have the fuelling and boost adjusted.

If it electronically controlled there are many firms out there doing the tuning boxes and chips although Van Aaken and UPsolute always seem to be well regarded.
passat tdi tuning - George Porge
forums.tdiclub.com/

American based but there's Brits that post here too.

Chips, tuning boxes, injectors, big turbos etc
passat tdi tuning - Collos25
What for
passat tdi tuning - Brad
agree

my passat goes like stink and has never put a foot wrong in 32K miles. I haven't got anywhere near its top speed.
passat tdi tuning - Chad.R
my passat goes like stink ....

If you've got a 130bhp model, then I'm sure it does but the "90" always feels like it could do with more oomph
I haven't got anywhere near its top speed.

I doubt that most people chip their cars to increase the top speed (though that my be a side effect), it's usually to increase in-gear acceleration or in other words, increase real world performance.

Surely you can never have too much power? ;-)
passat tdi tuning - Group B
What for?

I chipped my car to improve performance; and now I get the agreeable side effect that with better pick up from idle and more poke throughout the rev range, the car is more relaxing to drive. You can stay in a higher gear more of the time where before you may have had to change down for hills/ acceleration. I generally get 4-6mpg better fuel consumption, because most of the time I dont thrash the pants off it.

To me, increasing top speed is pretty pointless on UK roads. Why do they produce tuning chips for HGV's? Its obviously not to make them faster, its to reduce fuel consumption.

Surely you can never have too much power? ;-)

Without getting technical about it, I would definitely agree! :o)
passat tdi tuning - Group B
I've not got a Passat, but you could also check out the forums at www.dieselcar.com. Go to 'Tuning and Power Talk', its full of posts about various tuning box and remapping options. (Warning - its a very slow site).
passat tdi tuning - Adam {P}
>>What for?<<

Because some people want their cars to go quicker?

After all its only a 90bhp model! And its his car, ok with you?
passat tdi tuning - Wee Willie Winkie
Give www.upsolute.com a try. Simon Coe comes to your house and does all the work for a modest fee.

Increase in in-gear acceleration is tremendous. My 1997 Passat TDi 110 was done 20 months ago - I haven't looked back (literally).
Give www.upsolute.com a try. Simon Coe comes to your house
and does all the work for a modest fee.
Increase in in-gear acceleration is tremendous. My 1997 Passat TDi
110 was done 20 months ago - I haven't looked back
(literally).

Ditto, my 2001 golf gt tdi pd115 has been UPsoluted for 5 years
passat tdi tuning - v8man
Thanks for the replies.
Mine is only a 90bhp and yew I do want to improve in gear acceleration and pick-up.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
passat tdi tuning - JohnM{P}
There was a long lead time for the 110TDi in '97 due to demand outstripping supply. I was one of those patiently waiting; I remember Diesel Car reporting that many were getting fed up with waiting and were swapping to 90bhp TDi's on short delivery times and then chipping them to give near 110bhp performance.
There are always adverts in Diesel Car for a variety of companies offering this.